VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I'm a consumer user and have used camcorders for years but am keen to get something better for stills but that also shoots video. Some of the newer mirrorless gear seems good. This is probably a terribly simplistic question but with a lens like 16-80 on a camera, when adjusting the zoom on the lens, does the autofocus automatically refocus as you zoom in/out or is this function dependent on the type of lens used?

I recall reading somewhere that the autofocus won't play nicely when zooming in but it sounded suspect.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Autofocus works on the principle that the highest frequencies in the video will coincide with optimal focus because it equates to sharpest detail. Zooming will confuse it to some degree because the image changes but if you can lock the focus then zoom it should be OK. Typically, maximize the zoom, let it focus then 'pull back', on a good lens the focal point should remain constant just as it does in a stills camera.

Brian.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search PM
    Search for "parfocal lens". Camcorders traditionally have parfocal lens, still cameras - not necessarily.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Well mirrorless cameras have interchangeable lense and they can be either similar to camcorder ones or classical
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nikon Z30 or Z50 will do what you want with the least expense.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Few consumer lenses are parfocal and none of Nikon Z AFAIK. Use continuous autofocus.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For nearly all people, a quality camcorder is far superior to DSLR or Mirrorless...too many variables in DSLR/Mirrorless.
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For nearly all people, a quality camcorder is far superior to DSLR or Mirrorless...too many variables in DSLR/Mirrorless.
    I also like the stability created by having the camcorder viewfinder planted firmly against my head with a tight grip of hand around body.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RogerTango View Post
    That has nothing to do with zoom, or even a lens.

For Nikon, the 24-70 is supposed to be a parfocal zoom, but I'm not sure it's 100% parfocal, and not just parfocal-ish, where the camera autofocus quickly compensates for the minor focal changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ2zN1CteZY
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Originally Posted by RogerTango View Post
    That has nothing to do with zoom, or even a lens.

For Nikon, the 24-70 is supposed to be a parfocal zoom, but I'm not sure it's 100% parfocal, and not just parfocal-ish, where the camera autofocus quickly compensates for the minor focal changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ2zN1CteZY
    Meh, real parfocal lens wont be found in prosumer equipment...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkTaMyatsTo
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Don't say that word too loudly around here or Truthler will go off on a rant tangent again.

Scott
    Quote Quote