VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys. If this is in the wrong thread please let me kow and ill ask to move it or host a new thread there. I feel really silly asking it here but i want to get this right as this would probably how i do things for the next few years.

So a few years back i used to use FRAPS to pretty much record Youtube videos and then compress them using Virtualdub and the x264xfw codec. Since fraps hasn't been updated in ages as well as being a huge drain on system resources i went and looked for alternatives. One suggested to me was OBS using the NVENC encoder on my GPU with something like a CQP rate of 15 and while the source file is pretty good its stilll a bit big. A 7 Minute video of a modern game (in this case DOOM 2016) was about 4.14GB while an older game like Age of Mythology Extended edition, a RTS game was about 8.37GB for 30 minutes.

Now i do have a decent net connection at 100/40 with unlimited data so it really wouldn't be an issue uploading these sizes yet I'm a little worried with storage for such big files and would just rather keep the rendered/compressed versions like i did after i was done with the FRAPS videos. I would like to also add intros to my videos (I'm currently messing around with Sony Vegas 15 i got from humble bundle) and that usually involves more rendering and more generational loss since its already recorded as NVENC H.264 so I'm at a little loss what to do here. I've been asking friends on some opinions when i do render with a few settings and their opinions on what looks best vary.

Another issue is that with the same settings, vegas for some reason will brighten the video will vdub will keep the colour the same (screenshots provided as vdub x264 420 screenshot and vegas x264 420 screenshot) . The comparison videos are the convert to 420 Aom Video and the x264 vegas 420 under the Aom video list i have below, you can see it in the cutscene at around 3:27 the black bar where the text is.

I have posted screenshots with usually the settings i do use to convert. As well as the media info from the source files. I will also be posting links to all the videos uploaded to Youtube and would appreciate some insight/help. According to my friend one them (the AVC one specifically) seems dark to him but i found it seems to match closest to the source file went i alt tabbed between the media player and the file uploaded to youtube.
    As they are unlisted here are the links, i uploaded the source file as well as all the compressed ones.

DOOM 2016
    Source file: https://youtu.be/VxkZhfwm_qk
    Keep input color: https://youtu.be/t5ldqqQATZg
    Convert to 420: https://youtu.be/FBt7pEzHodo
    Vegas AVC: https://youtu.be/l6OtRwohLi0

Age of Mythology
    Source file: https://youtu.be/mT89mYwfmTY
    Keep input color: https://youtu.be/_0gBm9ID_Jg
    Convert to 420: https://youtu.be/ZuI7jw0OQVM
    x264 vegas 420: https://youtu.be/SYnQwTbmM2c
    Vegas AVC: https://youtu.be/FvR8Qn-pK60
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	obs settings 2.png
Views:	244
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	51263  

Click image for larger version

Name:	obs settings 1.png
Views:	260
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	51264  

Name:	AVC VBR 60fps.png
Views:	226
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	51265  

Name:	x264 convert to 420.png
Views:	114
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	51266  

Name:	vdub x264 420 screenshot.png
Views:	232
Size:	2.79 MB
ID:	51270  

Name:	vegas x264 420 screenshot.png
Views:	170
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	51271  

Name:	x264 keep input color space.png
Views:	98
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	51272  

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Fast moving content like Doom is going to more demanding and less compressible than Age of Mythology. You could raise the CQP for Doom and other similar games. NVENC H.264 isn't going to be as good as bitrate efficient x264.

As far why you are having color issues, you seem to be recording in the correct settings of YUV Limited/Partial (aka TV Range) BT.709. Which every video decoder would expect to receive. So maybe Vegas is doing a YUV->RGB->YUV conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    Fast moving content like Doom is going to more demanding and less compressible than Age of Mythology. You could raise the CQP for Doom and other similar games. NVENC H.264 isn't going to be as good as bitrate efficient x264.

As far why you are having color issues, you seem to be recording in the correct settings of YUV Limited/Partial (aka TV Range) BT.709. Which every video decoder would expect to receive. So maybe Vegas is doing a YUV->RGB->YUV conversion.
    Would there be a way to check that Vegas is doing something like that and turn it off?
    From what OBS staff have told me CQP 14-16 is if you use their simple settings the indistinguishable quality settings. I use about 15 in advanced but they also told me the preset is max quality whereas mine was just quality so I'm going to try changing that setting see how it goes after a render.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MajorFoley View Post
    Would there be a way to check that Vegas is doing something like that and turn it off?
    From what OBS staff have told me CQP 14-16 is if you use their simple settings the indistinguishable quality settings. I use about 15 in advanced but they also told me the preset is max quality whereas mine was just quality so I'm going to try changing that setting see how it goes after a render.
    You might want to talk to poisondeathray about your color problem as he has a lot more info about the color problems with certain NLEs.

With NVENC H.264, the difference between quality settings is very minor. So just use the high setting you can use without dropping frames while recording. Besides raising the CQP, you can try recording your videos with NVENC H.265/HEVC, which is what I do to save space. Just be aware that editing with that H.265/HEVC video will be much much slower if you don't use a proxy. There are no free lunches here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. regarding Vegas, some video formats are treated differently in Vegas, you might need to apply "Vegas Level effect", Preset, "StudioRGB to ComputerRGB" on your event
    Quote Quote  
  6. For vegas x264 to match vdub x264 - you probably need to add levels filter before final render - the "studio RGB to computer RGB" filter preset

EDIT; LOL ^ what he said. Tooo slow
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You might want to talk to poisondeathray about your color problem as he has a lot more info about the color problems with certain NLEs.

With NVENC H.264, the difference between quality settings is very minor. So just use the high setting you can use without dropping frames while recording. Besides raising the CQP, you can try recording your videos with NVENC H.265/HEVC, which is what I do to save space. Just be aware that editing with that H.265/HEVC video will be much much slower if you don't use a proxy. There are no free lunches here.
    I don't mind slow edit if i can get good quality, same with a slow render. I mean i was even thinking of just trying straight out X264 since i have a 3700x with maybe a fast or medium preset and a CRF of 15

Also i dunno if its possible to multiquote but yeah ok a setting like that would be under video FX or somewhere else?

EDIT: I found it, it definitely was under video FX window and levels. So i put on the studio RGB to computer RGB and it seems these are the levels according to this window. Would i change them all to 1.000?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vegas color levels.png
Views:	119
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	51295  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you can manage the x264 route, I'd do that first before trying HEVC. x264 should be noticeably better than the NVENC H.264.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by MajorFoley View Post

EDIT: I found it, it definitely was under video FX window and levels. So i put on the studio RGB to computer RGB and it seems these are the levels according to this window. Would i change them all to 1.000?
    Don't change; those values are already "preset" and the ones you need to "reverse" it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you can manage the x264 route, I'd do that first before trying HEVC. x264 should be noticeably better than the NVENC H.264.
    I'll give it a test with doom 2016 tonight, if i still hit a decent framerate on my end which would be at least 110-120 frames while in game while it records then yeah I'll attempt that but wouldn't vegas still try to misrepresent the colour and still need the studio RGB to computer RGB?

Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

Don't change; those values are already "preset" and the ones you need to "reverse" it.
    So just applying it on the video clip does it? Ok I'll give it a shot

Site definitely needs a multiquote option or im just blind and cant see it lol.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Holy crap it seems to have worked! That being said the size is definitely bigger. Comparing keep input sizes from 8.37gb source file it goes to 6.69gb without the colour levels and 7.16gb with the colour level applied. converting to 4:2:0 (which i think is what youtube wants anyway) with colour level applied is 2.58gb while without is 2.45gb. Now i just gotta do straight to x264 instead of NVENC and see how it better the quality is but i think this pretty much solves the issue either way even if i have to apply it with x264 as well. Thanks guys
    Quote Quote