VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. it offers capture in mpeg2 now!Great,but I can't play it
    back!That sucks.I think that it's encoding it ok because the
    capture completes with a sizable file but nothing will play
    it.The ATI file player won't,media player 7 won't,Virtual
    Dub won't play it OR offer to capture anymore in any format.
    I have Win ME,latest DX 8.1 beta,ATI TV Wonder,MSI K7T Turbo mb at 1050,also downloaded and installed this file
    from microsoft dx page for using multimedia center 7.1.Everything appears to be installed correctly.I can capture and play in mpeg 1 as always just not play back in
    mpeg 2.I don't have a dvd player so I don't have the dvd
    software in but that shouldn't matter right?Is the DX beta
    screwing me up?What should I try next?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I forgot to mention after I install the multimedia center it
    gives me a(compatibility warning)saying that I don't have
    a new enough video card or something?!I have a geforce 2Mx,
    also no DVD detected.But the video card thing(will definately affect playback performance)Bullshit...I will bump this up until somebody knows the answer.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The only thing you missed is DVD Player, it contains MPEG-2 decoder, which is necessory for playback captured MPEG-2 file.

You can either try to install ATI DVD Player (even you don't have a DVD drive) or install a SVCD Player, such as LSX MPEG Player, or any other software DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Well for one you have to order ATI dvd player so then I
    went elsewhere and looked at Windvd and they say you have
    to have a dvd player.Then,I opened media player back up
    and went to options and highlighted movie types that included mp2,which is what these are..So I try to play this
    clip again(while on the web)and it says it's trying to download a codec,then it fails to because it still says unknown media type..What?!Why is ATI teasing me?There are
    no faqs or support for the 7.1(pertaining to the TV Wonder
    yet.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You need to install the ATI DVD player software. It is required for the playback of their files. Are you using the AIW Graphics\Capture Boards or one of the models with only the T.V. Tuner Capability?
    Quote Quote  
  6. You will need an after market software player. Try VideoLAN, which you can download off the Tool Page http://www.vcdhelp.com/vcdtools.htm . VideoLAN will play any file I throw at it, but is limited in watching DVDs in the fact that it was designed for linux, and has trouble finding DVD hardware to play a full movie without creating a play list. The ATI DVD player will not install unless you have a ATI Video Card. The TV-Wonder is not a video card, just a capture card. If you do install WinDVD, or PowerDVD you should also be able to play the mp2 files with the ATI File Player, as you will have the decoder software in your system files.

Quote Quote  
  7. I'm downloading videolan right now,I'll let you know how
    it goes..Why did ATI give the ability to capture in mpeg2
    and not even explain in a read me how or where to get the
    ability to use the file?Huh?Hmmm?I also noticed with the
    higher res it gives now(640x240)that of course the picture
    is squashed,I looked at a file in mpeg1.They don't explain
    how to normalize it either.In virtual dub I think I remember
    how to do this but they should include this in their software too.Like visual masking,they don't tell me what
    that is either.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Ok,so it works,kind of.It's hardly the program I want to use
    though.Can I just stick some of the files in system or something so I don't have to use the prog?I guess I have to
    shell out $50 for a good program huh?
    Quote Quote  
  9. you can download the ATI DVD 4.1 update from their website. the dvd part might not play back correctly since the tv wonder lacks the hardware acceleration of the aiw's, but it fixes some of the bugs in capture and more importantly gives you an MPEG-2 playback codec.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Ya,but I'll bet you the update won't even install not having
    the original ATI DVD software.Anyway I just don't get it,This particular version is supposed to be for the TV Wonder and TV Wonder VE explicitly,Why do they have part
    of it instantly crippled?
    Quote Quote  
  11. I tried installing the newest version on the ATI DVD player on my system by installing an ati rage128 video card as secondary card in windows 2000. You will need the an original cd of ATI DVD player driver and a ATI Video card to install the newest player, but when I did this and took out (disabled) the ATI card I was able to use the DVD player and File player for MPEG-2 files. If this seems like too much work, or you do not have access to an ATI video card, I still recomend using WinDVD or PowerDVD, cause I know they work.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I haven't tried capturing MPEG-2 with my TV Wonder card, but the MPEG-2 files I have (SVCD format encoded by TMPGEnc) won't play in Windows Media Player either. I got a copy of PowerDVD with my DVD-ROM drive, and it will play them just fine.

PowerDVD isn't free, but there's an eval version available on the 'net I believe. And I'm sure there's a crack if you're into that sort of thing...

-Zak
    Quote Quote  
  13. 2 gtrz
    Try to save recorded file with extension *.MPG instead *.MP2 (MP2 and MPA extensions generally using for mpeg AUDIO.)
    If this not solve your problem, try demux recorded file
    with TMPGeng->mpeg tools and make new mux.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thanks for everbody's help!
    Quote Quote