VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello everyone.

I am a complete novice with video and I'm an old golf coach that is out of his element and I'm not sure how to even begin.

I shoot video when I give golf lessons and the video is saved on a Windows 7 laptop. I run a golf swing analysis software called cSwing that I have used for many years and capture video with my high speed camera that is connected directly to my laptop through firewire. When a student makes a swing I have a hit detector microphone that automatically starts and stops the recording. Then I can bring the student back to my laptop and replay the video and draw lines on things like swing plane and highlight problem areas. This gives the student instant feedback on what we are trying to accomplish and he/she can then go back to their hitting bay and make adjustments. We continue using that sequence until we either get the feeling and swing we are looking for, or we move on to other things. This method has worked quite well for many years.

As my swing academy has grown I have been getting requests to make a DVD for the player that has the video of the lesson with all of my drawings and comments from our lesson. Sort of as a reference that a student can go back and review as often as they need to when they are having swing problems. Which is why I am here.

I have no idea how to go about this. I understand that I could easily make video of me discussing the lesson, but I have no idea how to be able to use my swing software at the same time to be able to draw lines and such, as well as narrate what I am trying to teach and get the player to understand. It seems impossible to be able to work with one program and be able to use it as well as have another video editing software open and recording what I'm doing in the other software as well as making it possible to describe the lines and observations I make while using the swing software.

I hope my description makes sense. It's confusing to me and I'm sure it's even more confusing to you guys.

This is way above my head and I'm not sure if it's even possible. I don't know any other swing coaches that do this sort of thing, but it could be a very important part of making my teaching unique. Which isn't easy in a very crowded marketplace.

Also, I would like to apologize for making my first post such a difficult one. I usually try and lurk for some time before I try and post in any forum, but I'm really stuck on how to proceed, and I have several students that are requesting that I do something like this. Today's golf students have grown up on video and technology and it's becoming difficult for us older guys to keep up with the rapidly changing technology. It makes perfect sense to want to have a copy of your swing lesson as there is often so much information spread out in a short 30 minute lesson, it's easy to forget something you worked on or a swing idea that got lost among all the others.

So, any help, suggestions, or resources would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by otto6457 View Post
    It seems impossible to be able to work with one program and be able to use it as well as have another video editing software open and recording what I'm doing in the other software as well as making it possible to describe the lines and observations I make while using the swing software.
    In fact, it is eminently possible. There are any number of programs available to capture what is happening on your computer display, along with the audio from a microphone, and stuff it all into a video file which you can then edit (if necessary) and burn to DVD. You can start with the Screen Capture software section right here on VideoHelp.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    In fact, it is eminently possible. There are any number of programs available to capture what is happening on your computer display, along with the audio from a microphone, and stuff it all into a video file which you can then edit (if necessary) and burn to DVD. You can start with the Screen Capture software section right here on VideoHelp.
    Thank you so much! I have a lot to learn about this but it should make me a better teacher.
    Quote Quote