VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys, sorry my first post is a tech question but I am hoping someone can help me out. I have just bought the recordable dvd player in the title of the topic and am overall very pleased with it. However, I cannot seem to turn on the digital output on it. It wants to output to the television via the SCART rather than via the optical. I have looked everywhere for a sound settings menu but cannot find one.
    If anyone has any ideas I would be most grateful.

TIA
    Quote Quote  
  2. As this uses the Cirrus Logic chipset (as does the Sampo DV-R1 and DVE-R3) hopefully I can help.

On your menu called AUDIO SETUP there should be two options - AUDIO OUTPUT and one called SPDIF.

Go into the one called SPDIF (stands for Sony-Phillips Digital InterFace, by the way - ie coaxial/optical digital audio output) and select either BITSTREAM or DIGITAL - this should override the existing audio method you're using
    Webmaster of Area 450, the independent site for owners of Sampo and Maxent DVD products the world over
    Quote Quote  
  3. This is the problem, if I go into SETUP all I have on offer is Language, Video Setup, System Info, Disc Media, Recording and Schedule. Nowhere throught the menu system is audio mentioned.
    I am totally confused, it has RCA digital out and optical digital out and no way of telling it to do either.
    Any further ideas would be much appreciated.

P.S. It does have a display on the front. Someone here thought it perhaps did not but it lights up when turned on.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hmm, that's bizarre, isn't it ?

I'm wondering whether it's one of these products that simultaneously sends out a digital and analogue audio signal from both optical and analogue cockets, in which case could the problem be at the amplifier end ? What are you plumbing her in to ?
    Webmaster of Area 450, the independent site for owners of Sampo and Maxent DVD products the world over
    Quote Quote  
  5. Into a Kenwood KRF-V5050D dolby digital amp. Everything else I have plugged into it autodetects no problem. That includes an XBox and my nForce2 mainboard. I am sure its not the amp end.

Its got me totally puzzled and as usual Dixons are as much use as a fart in a thunderstorm. I rang them and was given the number for someone who handles Grundig affairs in UK and also the Mastercare number. Mastercare promptly said we can charge you £25 to come out and install it but we don't offer technical support, Dixons should have told you that.....they didn't surprise surprise.

So I am gonna go into store when I can and tell them to show me on their demonstration model and if they can't do it then I shall be playing merry hell 'cos the staff should damn well know their stuff if there is no tech support for backup and they own the Grundig brand name.
    Quote Quote  
  6. A user at the AV Forums has confirmed it does output digitally - see here.
    Quote Quote