VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Not sure if this is the correct forum but it seems close enough.

I do not have a blu burner. Some friends of mine have made personal/custom projects and created them in bluray format (with the bdmv and certificate folders).

The projects though in blu are small enough to fit on a dvd9. I know how to burn the blu on a dvd disc in imgburn

My question is that I know with dvd video structure I can add in an extra "rom folder" with info or other such notes pertaining to whatever the project is. However does adding such a folder on blu format invalidate it in anyway? I am not sure how strict the rules for burning have to be.

So if I burn a disc in imgburn, it would have all of these in the root of the disc
    bdmv folder
    certificate folder
    EXTRAS folder that I add

would this still then be a valid disc or would the adding of the extra folder actually make it "non standard" (aside from burning it to a dvd rather than a blu disc) and actually add more incompatibility problems?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Where were you three years ago?

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/316063-Adding-extra-folders-or-files-to-BD-Disc

And if it doesn't work, it's not too expensive to test and fail.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Where were you three years ago?

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/316063-Adding-extra-folders-or-files-to-BD-Disc

And if it doesn't work, it's not too expensive to test and fail.

hahah I was not concerned at all with bluray burning three years ago. Funny that my google searches for the forum did not bring it up, then again seeing it by the title might be why since I searched for "adding a folder to bluray" instead of BD disc

In my case and if I was seeing it right, the disc I burned was not in AVCHD format. At any rate one player I had it worked fine but the other, though it did recognize it, would not play it. Both players are sort of bottom barrel and mostly region free machines which is why I have them. Still was not sure if the adding of the extra folder is what threw one of them off (now assuming probably not)

Thanks for the link and info
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It should be OK, but I don't think anybody can assure 100% on this. The reason is that the BluRay specs cost money to view and you have to sign NDAs to see them, which means that a person who knows for sure if it is legal to have extra folders probably can't legally talk about it. But given how DVDs allowed this, I would be surprised if BD is more restrictive. Your player problem with the disc could be a variety of things that have nothing to do with an extra folder. For example, some older players have big problems with BD-R LTH discs. BD-RW and BD-R DL are both a little bit iffy in my experience with Verbatim having a far greater chance of success than any other brand.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    It should be OK, but I don't think anybody can assure 100% on this. The reason is that the BluRay specs cost money to view and you have to sign NDAs to see them, which means that a person who knows for sure if it is legal to have extra folders probably can't legally talk about it. But given how DVDs allowed this, I would be surprised if BD is more restrictive. Your player problem with the disc could be a variety of things that have nothing to do with an extra folder. For example, some older players have big problems with BD-R LTH discs. BD-RW and BD-R DL are both a little bit iffy in my experience with Verbatim having a far greater chance of success than any other brand.

both players I have are sort of laxed when it comes to rules of playing discs. Someone lent me a bdr and both decks played it fine. I have a cheapish seki that will play much of everything (inc regions and pal) and a slightly more standard but not really Sherwood that was able to be made region free. So given what I am working with I was a bit surprised the sherwood would not play that type of disc, but since the other deck does no matter.

you would figure just as long as it has the proper folders for the blu structure it might ignore everything else. I will chalk this up to a player issue rather than a structure issue
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    For both the DVD-VIDEO and BLU-RAY (and AVCHD) specs, items WITHIN the authored folders must remain inviolate/unaltered, while items external to the authored elements (such as items off the root, in ROM or EXTRAS folders) are perfectly fine to be user-created/modified - PROVIDED the authored elements are kept first in the physical burn order/layout.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    - PROVIDED the authored elements are kept first in the physical burn order/layout.

Scott
    and I will assume imgburn properly takes care of that, then again I always add the proper files first and roms/extras last when I drag them to imgburn
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes and yes
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Yes and yes
    GOOD! Dvd was one thing since it did not matter what order they are listed in imgburn, but blu I had no idea. Either way the question is settled, thanks again
    Quote Quote