VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Broken City is driving me crazy and I hope someone can help. At around 1:06 there is a scene where they are speaking in Spanish and you should see the English subtitles; however I can't find any forced subtitles to save my life. My process is to use eac3to and then take the sup file and use either BDSuptoSub or SupRip and look for the forced subtitles, neither has forced subtitles marked. I only see three subtitle tracks using eac3to, 1: English, 2: Spanish, and 3: Italian.

I've attached the sup file (via zip) with the English subtitles.

Thank you.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is the source (original file/s)?

You might consider using MakeMKV - read this http://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/10 It may show the forced subs and then the next step is to get at them......
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not familiar with this film but I watch a decent number of foreign films and sometimes the production company just doesn't bother to translate some small parts of the dialog. If you don't speak the language, there's not much you can do about it. I recently watched Untouchables 2 which is an American film but they didn't bother to have subtitles for some small parts of the dialog where secondary characters were speaking local languages in Asia and Eastern Europe in the film. My point is that there very well may not be any subs for that scene by choice of the production company.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    What is the source (original file/s)?

You might consider using MakeMKV - read this http://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/10 It may show the forced subs and then the next step is to get at them......
    I did try that as well, makeMKV didn't pick up any forced subtitles. The original is the BD.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    I'm not familiar with this film but I watch a decent number of foreign films and sometimes the production company just doesn't bother to translate some small parts of the dialog. If you don't speak the language, there's not much you can do about it. I recently watched Untouchables 2 which is an American film but they didn't bother to have subtitles for some small parts of the dialog where secondary characters were speaking local languages in Asia and Eastern Europe in the film. My point is that there very well may not be any subs for that scene by choice of the production company.
    That is an interesting thought, difficult to understand though as the scene does have a somewhat important part in the movie.

Is there software that will allow me to possibly edit the entire subtitle track and delete everything except for those Spanish speaking parts, or have the ability to mark particular lines in the sup file as "forced"?
    Quote Quote  
  6. You can import the sup file into SubtitleEdit, perform OCR and cut out the unwanted subtitles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJvU6WOBMkQ
    Last edited by videobruger; 25th Jun 2013 at 09:54.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    You can import the sup file into SubtitleEdit, perform OCR and cut out the unwanted subtitles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJvU6WOBMkQ
    I'll give that a try, thank you for the help. Also, thank you to this forum.

Tried it, great program; but it turns out that even in the subtitles which I didn't notice it only says [SPEAKING SPANISH] and doesn't actually show what they're saying in English. Strange!

Thanks again for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mr pecck View Post
    Tried it, great program; but it turns out that even in the subtitles which I didn't notice it only says [SPEAKING SPANISH] and doesn't actually show what they're saying in English. Strange!
    I talked about this and it's more common than you might think. You can try to look for the Spanish subtitles at this time and see if they bothered to write it down, but often they won't bother to subtitle it because it's actually in Spanish. You could also check the French subtitles at the same time and see if they bothered to translate what was said into French. If they did write down the words you could run it through Google Translate and get a quick and dirty translation to create your own English subtitles from. What might have happened is that the person paid to do the English subtitles cannot speak Spanish and thus is unable to translate what was said. That person very likely does not have a script to work from either.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Originally Posted by mr pecck View Post
    I talked about this and it's more common than you might think. You can try to look for the Spanish subtitles at this time and see if they bothered to write it down, but often they won't bother to subtitle it because it's actually in Spanish. You could also check the French subtitles at the same time and see if they bothered to translate what was said into French. If they did write down the words you could run it through Google Translate and get a quick and dirty translation to create your own English subtitles from. What might have happened is that the person paid to do the English subtitles cannot speak Spanish and thus is unable to translate what was said. That person very likely does not have a script to work from either.
    That is very interesting to know. I'll check that out, probably French first as I think you're right about the Spanish subtitles. I'll also try and find the script somewhere.

**update

Spanish subtitles I realized for obvious reasons "they're speaking in spanish" didn't show any subtitles during the time they spoke in spanish.

It was Italian I had and not French, but the same as the english their just wasn't any subtitles when she spoke in spanish.

Time on the screen was 1:06:20.

Strange and very frustrating.

Off to try and find a script.
    Last edited by mr pecck; 25th Jun 2013 at 13:09.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Note that in Subtitle Edit you may stop the OCR when you have passed the Spanish section, ie you don't have to OCR the whole file
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    where is this spanish supposed to be at 10 minutes? not 1:06. she greats him as he enters?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  12. It's an hour in at 01:06:20. A lady starts to speak in spanish after Billy comes into her apartment.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    at around 10min he enters his girlfriends apartment after being beaten with a bat, and his girlfriend asks him something in spanish about work. at 10min the mother greets him says something about her daughter and introduces him to the father and asks if he wants some coffee.

here are the segments as wav files if you have a spanish speaking friend it should be hard to translate.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by aedipuss; 25th Jun 2013 at 14:21.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote