VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    This might be a weird suggestion but I would just get the movie on Blu-ray with the french audio track option and be done with it. Full resolution, Best audio quality and no color standard to worry about.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Have a look here for a dvd recorder with a decent tbc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMA5aH_olAQ
    I have the 890 model it does accept secam (pal and ntsc aswell) and have basic proc amps (levels, saturation, hue..), noise reduction (separate Y/C denoising)
    Can be found on ebay for cheap.
    But like someone pointed out it's probably macrovision you're dealing with
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    This might be a weird suggestion but I would just get the movie on Blu-ray with the french audio track option and be done with it. Full resolution, Best audio quality and no color standard to worry about.
    Well the OP has already stated that it is his understanding that no widescreen dvd's let alone Blu-ray are available for this film.

Of course not every obscure film has been released in this manner but I have found some on Amazon.fr that I did not expect to find.

From the short clip this appears to be a western. Still curious though to know it's title( even by PM). French titles are not always literal translations of other language releases.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    [QUOTE=DB83;2536464]
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    From the short clip this appears to be a western. Still curious though to know it's title( even by PM). French titles are not always literal translations of other language releases.
    It appears to be an American movie that was released to the French market, Most american movies have been digitally scanned to either DVD or Bl-ray so far, So at least finding a DVD with an additional French Dolby stereo track shouldn't be a problem. I don't see where the OP stated that there is no DVD release for this movie.
    Last edited by dellsam34; 12th Dec 2018 at 14:44.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Reply #27

He states that full-frame dvds are available but no wide-screen one.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    Have a look here for a dvd recorder with a decent tbc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMA5aH_olAQ
    I have the 890 model it does accept secam (pal and ntsc aswell) and have basic proc amps (levels, saturation, hue..), noise reduction (separate Y/C denoising)
    Can be found on ebay for cheap.
    But like someone pointed out it's probably macrovision you're dealing with
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into that as an option to consider. I went ahead and bought a DMR-ES10 from ebay because it was very cheap, and I was curious to try it, plus I have other VHS I would like to transfer it may be helpful with. If it doesn't work, no risk buying from ebay like many are afraid because its the seller who takes the hit if its faulty, not me...

dellsam34 not sure why you're assuming just any movie can be had on blu ray, let alone DVD? This is a Mexican western from the 70s, distributed around the world as a kind of spaghetti western. The only available legitimate releases are VHS, and available DVDs are $3 gray market releases transferred from VHS. This French VHS is the only known widescreen version of the film, aside from 35mm prints and the original negative.

Why would I be going to these lengths if I could just buy the movie? I wouldn't...

If I am posting for help on these kinds of movies, they are very rare

This one is called El Sabor De La Venganza (1971) / A Taste of the Savage (Australia) | Occhio per occhio dente per dente sei fregato Cobra! (Italy) | Eye for an Eye (USA) / Vengeance is the French VHS title. Directed by Alberto Mariscal. There is also another western from the same period called El Sabor De La Venganza, different movie.
    Last edited by autephex; 12th Dec 2018 at 22:48.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Also, regarding potential Macrovision issues... what are the chances a French tape from 1985 by a low budget releasing company would contain Macrovision? This is pretty early in the history of Macrovision - company seems to have been founded in 1983 and from what I understand it didn't really start appearing commonly until maybe 1986... but not much info available on the first appearance of Macrovision.

If it was Macrovision, wouldn't it be a constant problem? The flashing colors only happen occasionally for just a few frames, most of the playback is fine regarding the flashing
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by autephex View Post
    not sure why you're assuming just any movie can be had on blu ray, let alone DVD? This is a Mexican western from the 70s, distributed around the world as a kind of spaghetti western. The only available legitimate releases are VHS, and available DVDs are $3 gray market releases transferred from VHS. This French VHS is the only known widescreen version of the film, aside from 35mm prints and the original negative.

Why would I be going to these lengths if I could just buy the movie? I wouldn't...

If I am posting for help on these kinds of movies, they are very rare

This one is called El Sabor De La Venganza (1971) / A Taste of the Savage (Australia) | Occhio per occhio dente per dente sei fregato Cobra! (Italy) | Eye for an Eye (USA) / Vengeance is the French VHS title. Directed by Alberto Mariscal. There is also another western from the same period called El Sabor De La Venganza, different movie.

Didn't think it's a Mexican movie but could these versions have a french audio track?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/El-Sabor-De-La-Venganza/182881965213?hash=item2a949d549d:g:gS...:rk:4:razz:f:0
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/El-sabor-de-la-venganza-DVD/132876030506?hash=item1ef007522a:...:rk:5:razz:f:0
    Quote Quote  
  9. Well I don't need the French audio... what I need is the widescreen picture.

And besides, that's not the same movie. As said in the end of my post, that is a different movie with the same title. You can see it is not directed by Alberto Mariscal.

Trust me, I've looked a lot more than a simple ebay search.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess this is the film you are looking for

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0271763/

Imdb does not help since it shows the poster from one of the above links here. It could, I guess, have mixed up the two films if, indeed they share the name title from the same period. Not unknown but darn annoying. I am sure you have already seen this and the director's name is a pseud.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Don't think that Macrovision for SECAM ever existed... never heard about formal Macrovision specification for SECAM - so or source was distributed as PAL with Macrovision protection or not protected by Macrovision at all.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I guess this is the film you are looking for

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0271763/

Imdb does not help since it shows the poster from one of the above links here. It could, I guess, have mixed up the two films if, indeed they share the name title from the same period. Not unknown but darn annoying. I am sure you have already seen this and the director's name is a pseud.
    Yes that is the wrong poster for the other film. Two totally different films by different directors. The IMBD info is correct - Alberto Mariscal is the director and his real name, but someone uploaded a poster for the other film by Marchent.

Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Don't think that Macrovision for SECAM ever existed... never heard about formal Macrovision specification for SECAM - so or source was distributed as PAL with Macrovision protection or not protected by Macrovision at all.
    Yeah I really don't think this tape has Macrovision. But previous poster mentioned that maybe its a tracking error being interpreted as Macrovision when it happens, so I guess that is a possibility.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I see your struggle now:
    https://forum.spaghetti-western.net/t/the-westerns-of-alberto-mariscal/3421

Well I guess what you have now is the best.
    Quote Quote  
  14. yep that's it... wouldn't say its the best so much as the only one found so far. Given the rarity of the title, the french VHS is probably the only widescreen version until it receives a new transfer from the original sources - if that ever happens.

Unfortunately the quality of this VHS is not so great and it seems to have some aging issues which I believe are part of the problem
    Quote Quote