VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I'm constantly seeing video on the local news station that looks like it has out of order frames and other issues. They do this every day, supposedly produced by people who know what they're doing - how is it they constantly let stuff like this get through? I would have thought they'd have had it worked out long ago.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How are you watching this, through a standard HDTV (with a ATSC tuner)?

What I'll often see on local programs or even national programs is that they won't deinterlace material before resizing. So you get SD 480i material being upscaled to 720p or 1080i, and in the other direction of 1080i being downscaled without deinterlacing. Causing all sorts of waviness during movement, and causing more problems.

It could be that your station broadcasts in 720p, but recording at 1080i in the studio and out in the field. So that 1080i would need to be bobed to 59.94fps for 720p, and might be picking the wrong field first when bobing. But I don't having much information to go on so I'm just guessing.
    Last edited by KarMa; 19th Mar 2016 at 23:29.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    HDTV with the onboard tuner.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by brassplyer View Post
    HDTV with the onboard tuner.
    Out of order frames aren't necessarily the fault of the local channel or the news production crew. Out of order frames are common in over-the-air broadcasts when reception is slightly imperfect. I see out of order frames more often when it windy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Out of order frames aren't necessarily the fault of the local channel or the news production crew. Out of order frames are common in over-the-air broadcasts when reception is slightly imperfect. I see out of order frames more often when it windy.
    I live around 100 miles from the cluster of towers that often watch for OTA. So there is a lot of interference between me and the broadcasts, making good reception irregular. Even with a nice and high antenna along with a low noise preamp.

I have a few channels that are the most likely to drop out, causing the picture to turn blocky or even completely freeze until the reception returns. I've watched these channels drop out on two TVs and my computer ATSC tuner. I even record these bad reception channels and have never seen frames out of order, just simply missing when playing them back. Often the reception will return in the middle of a GOP, with the I frame missing causing weird moving block artifacts.

I've never correlated bad frame order with poor reception.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I live around 100 miles from the cluster of towers that often watch for OTA. So there is a lot of interference between me and the broadcasts, making good reception irregular. Even with a nice and high antenna along with a low noise preamp.

I have a few channels that are the most likely to drop out, causing the picture to turn blocky or even completely freeze until the reception returns. I've watched these channels drop out on two TVs and my computer ATSC tuner. I even record these bad reception channels and have never seen frames out of order, just simply missing when playing them back. Often the reception will return in the middle of a GOP, with the I frame missing causing weird moving block artifacts.

I've never correlated bad frame order with poor reception.
    For me, the two things go together.

I am not a home owner and must use an indoor antenna, so I have imperfect reception more often than I would like. I primarily record programming originating from the network, not local productions. VideoReDo seems to report more out-of-order time stamps when reception is less than ideal, even if no missing frames are reported in the affected segment.
    Quote Quote