VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

i tried to crop a video with premiere cc , i used the crop effect , and reduce the video in the crop efect Top

i render the video , but i got a black bar exactly where i wanted to cut/crop the part

how can i cut/crop without having black bars without using the scale feature ?

i don't want to use the scale feature because i can change my video quality

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    In PP the sequence determines the resolution of the video not the individual clips.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The black bars represent the background flattened with the video. You either have to conform the media to the output, or conform the output to the media. Therefore, Stretch, Zoom, or Crop cannot be avoided.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    The black bars represent the background flattened with the video. You either have to conform the media to the output, or conform the output to the media. Therefore, Stretch, Zoom, or Crop cannot be avoided.
    thanks
    how can i conform the media to the output?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Find a resolution/Aspect Ratio that is a compromise.

I'm starting to think that you have no workflow, you're just winging it?

I can't speak "Premiere", I only know the concepts.
    Last edited by budwzr; 6th Jun 2015 at 13:10.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Just do what newpball says

eg Let's say I have a source video 1920x1080 16:9 . But I want to crop the top and bottom to make it 1920x816 or ~2.35:1 AR. Just make a new sequence 1920x816 , same framerate as source, and put your video on the timeline. Your export settings in AME would match your sequence settings .

The top and bottom are "still there" and accessible in the premiere sequence, just not "visible". So you can reposition your video if you wanted to. Think of the sequence as a window in your house, and outside the window there is a larger view if you stepped outside your house. But when you view out the window from inside your house , you are only looking at a small part of the outside view.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    ...Think of the sequence as a window in your house, and outside the window there is a larger view if you stepped outside your house. But when you view out the window from inside your house , you are only looking at a small part of the outside view.
    Hahaha, we are tremendous obfuscators when we want to be. You take it to new heights.
    Quote Quote  
  8. It wasn't that bad of an analogy sniff

Part of the problem is "crop" means something different in PP than other programs. "crop" functionally means "crop and add borders" in PP, so you're left with the same input dimensions, that area replaced by borders . "Crop" in other programs like vdub , avisynth mean remove pixels from the borders, reducing the dimensions
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    The desire to crop parts from a perfectly good video is an obvious form of myopia both literally and figuratively.

Last edited by newpball; 6th Jun 2015 at 13:43.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    The desire to cropping parts from a perfectly good video is an obvious form of myopia both literally and figuratively.

Hahaha, you guys are killing me. I smell apples.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So to answer the original post, there's no way to mix media together in the same project, without black bars, without losing something. It's a trade off.

You have to examine all your media, including resolution, and find a common ground.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Sure you can do it in a same project - You can use nested sequences. eg. nest your 1920x1080 sequence in a 1920x816 sequence
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sure you can do it in a same project - You can use nested sequences. eg. nest your 1920x1080 sequence in a 1920x816 sequence
    Yah, I guess you're right. I understood the post wrong. OP only cares about scaling.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just do what newpball says

eg Let's say I have a source video 1920x1080 16:9 . But I want to crop the top and bottom to make it 1920x816 or ~2.35:1 AR. Just make a new sequence 1920x816 , same framerate as source, and put your video on the timeline. Your export settings in AME would match your sequence settings .

The top and bottom are "still there" and accessible in the premiere sequence, just not "visible". So you can reposition your video if you wanted to. Think of the sequence as a window in your house, and outside the window there is a larger view if you stepped outside your house. But when you view out the window from inside your house , you are only looking at a small part of the outside view.
    thanks
    how can i know the new resolution , after cropping a video ?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

i found out i can do it in adobe media encoder

Click image for larger version

Name:	EGy8w.png
Views:	198
Size:	471.0 KB
ID:	32183
    Quote Quote  
  16. To bring this back full circle, to do the same thing in Premiere you would create a custom 1080x1056 sequence and position your video within that. This would allow you to combine multiple clips at the same resolution and cropping.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    To bring this back full circle, to do the same thing in Premiere you would create a custom 1080x1056 sequence and position your video within that. This would allow you to combine multiple clips at the same resolution and cropping.
    thanks
    is the only way to know the resolution of the video after crop?
    the problem could be working with several videos,clips
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search PM
    Indeed we are going in circles the OP does not seem to understand that cropping a clip in a sequence does not change the resolution of the sequence.

If you want a different resolution you create a sequence with the resolution you want and then place the clip into it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Indeed we are going in circles the OP does not seem to understand that cropping a clip in a sequence does not change the resolution of the sequence.

If you want a different resolution you create a sequence with the resolution you want and then place the clip into it.
    yes i understood , but after i have cropped a clip , how can i know the resolution of the cropped clip , to create a new sequence?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think the Ope means change the aspect ratio. Resolution refers to ppi. Aspect ratio refers to height by width.
    Quote Quote  
  21. You can use the crop effect to find out the values, or AME as in your screenshot

Normally , your destination format at least partially determines your sequence settings. (e.g. most displays are 16:9, youtube display is 16:9, etc...) so you might use a 16:9 sequence like 1920x1080. And you position the clips within the sequence - when you position them, you can effective crop them
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search PM
    Okay I understand now. PP does have a limitation in that cropped size is expressed in % not in pixels.

It would be nice to have an option to show the actual clip size in pixels.

Another issue is that with cropping you cannot see an aspect ratio, the workaroud to crop a clip to a certain AR is to create a color matte with the desired AR and overlap the clip with it.

What really should happen is that when you crop a clip you get indicators showing pixel width and height, AR and alignment info real time, similar to recent versions of Photoshop.

Quote Quote  
  23. I don't see a big problem. The position value is expressed in pixels. You can figure you the values from there with basic math

(e.g. change the position value until it cuts off what you don't want, then note the value, then use basic math). The starting position is always at the midpoint of a layer

What's more important IMO is how this is being used. What is the background info ? If this is part of a larger project , you don't want to do that for individual clips one at time
    Quote Quote  
  24. Banned
    Search PM
    I don't see a big problem. The position value is expressed in pixels. You can figure you the values from there with basic math
    True but it is a nuisance, PP is supposed to be a productivity tool!

Quote Quote  
  25. Or the OPTION to toggle the display units in absolute pixels like 5.43 pixels or % or whatever units would be nice. But this has been a requested feature for as long as I can remember.

But I can't think of a common reason I would do a typical project like that - are your exported videos typically 1080x1056 ? or other bizarre dimensions ? Normally you would incorporate protrait AR shots into the larger project , not conform the project to the oddball resolution
    Quote Quote  
  26. Banned
    Search PM
    But I can't think of a common reason I would do a typical project like that - are your exported videos typically 1080x1056 ? or other bizarre dimensions ? Normally you would incorporate protrait AR shots into the larger project , not conform the project to the oddball resolution
    I agree, it would be interesting to find out what exactly the OP is trying to do.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    .... the OPTION to toggle the display units in absolute pixels like 5.43 pixels or % or whatever units would be nice. But this has been a requested feature for as long as I can remember.
    Adobe decides what you need and don't need. It's a haughty company, like Apple.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Or the OPTION to toggle the display units in absolute pixels like 5.43 pixels or % or whatever units would be nice. But this has been a requested feature for as long as I can remember.

But I can't think of a common reason I would do a typical project like that.
    The % thing is an interesting limitation. But I agree, a more usual workflow would be to start with a "standard" raster size and zoom/repo the image within it. The crop tool is generally more appropriate for PIP or multiple image effects.
    Quote Quote