VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    I'm capturing PAL from cam recorder, I'm using VirtualDub.
    The output video+audio is "high pitched" - the audio and video are in sync, but it is faster than is supposed to be.
    The VirtualDub capture configuration frame rate is 25fps.

What might be the problem?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Kalisto View Post
    Did you check the resulting framerate of your captured video?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A quick Q. or 2

Is this the same camcorder that you were attempting to connect to an ADVC ? What usb device are you using ?

We really need to see a sample of this video. No re-encoding pls.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by Kalisto View Post
    Did you check the resulting framerate of your captured video?
    I just did, The resulting framerate is 29.9fps so this is probably the problem..

I changed the fps value to 25fps in virtualdub:
    [Attachment 57548 - Click to enlarge]

Now I have different problem, When I click stop capturing on VirtualDub, The title remains with the text "capture in progress" and VirtualDub gets stuck, The only thing I can do is to kill the process. the output file is corrupted.

Originally Posted by DB83
    Is this the same camcorder that you were attempting to connect to an ADVC ? What usb device are you using ?
    Yes it is CCD-TRV11E, I'm using ATI Wonder 600 USB.

Something that may cause some problems is that that the tape labeled as NTSC and it was recorded on PAL cam recorder., However the output of the cam recorder to TV works fine without problems, Also I'm using xvid codec to lower the file size.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you set up vdub correctly to capture at 25 fps you would not get a video at 29.97 fps. The software has no way of knowing the original speed of the tape.

A PAL tv could play a NTSC tape with no real issues. Not sure whether a 'PAL' camcorder could still film at NTSC speed.

I do wonder now whether this NTSC/PAL 'confusion' is also a factor for your other topic. There are some switches on the ADVC to select from NTSC to PAL. A NTSC signal should appear as B&W on a PAL selected unit but could, I guess, also result in a blank screen if you set for NTSC with a PAL tape. Not something I can check on my own ADVC since I can not input a pure NTSC signal.

Oh. And do not compromise quality by capturing with xVID. You can always re-encode from lossless to a distribution format after the capture.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for your kind help DB83,

It might cause the confusion, I did tried multiple configurations on the ADVC switches, I bought TI firewire card to eliminate problem with firewire card.

about the xVID, You are right, for now I'm using old low resources machine (Pentium E5400, 2GB RAM, 300GB HDD) that was junk and I turned it to a capturing machine.
    Quote Quote