VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I am wondering if there is an easy way to fix irritating spelling errors in Blu-ray or DVD subtitles.

I know it is possible to run an OCR program that will convert a SUP or SUB subtitle file to an SRT file, and thus enable easy editing of the subtitle text. However, this can be a time consuming business, as I have found that the OCR process will often require manual assistance. There are also some limitations of the SRT format, such as losing the original positioning of the subtitles.

However, a typical spelling error will often only require the changing/insertion/deletion of a single character. Is there any way to make such a small change to a SUP or SUB file?

David
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't seen any such subtitle software.

With dvdsubedit can you adjust colors ,position, etc but I don't think you can adjust the text directly.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Dunno of an easy way to do it, and I've done it the hard way a few times. Yeah, it's irritating to see errors in subtitles, but maybe you could live with it?

Like you say, you gotta go over the results of an OCR and fix any errors. (I use SubtitleEdit). The few times I needed it, easySUP worked okay for converting text subs to SUPs.

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I did think it was very unlikely that there would be any other solution but thanks for confirming this assumption.

Living with it appears to be my only option, as converting to SRT is not worth it for one or two spelling errors.

David
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can export a subpic from DVDSubEdit, modify it and import it back.
    Probably best to use a copy of the source video.
    It's matching up the font used in the subpics that's tricky - the colour can be duplicated easily.
    The lower pic is the original.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	se.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	30947  

Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Sambat,
    That's an interesting suggestion, but when I open any of my existing SUP files nothing is displayed in DVDSubEdit (running under 64-bit Windows 7).

David
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't open the sup files, I open the DVD and select the sub stream I need to edit.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	30949  

Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    My .sup files come from Blu-ray disks that I have ripped to MKV. I then convert each .sup file to .idx and .sub files, using BDSup2Sub. My understanding was that these .idx and .sub files were the equivalent of VOBSUBs used in DVDs.

Is there a way to convert what I have into a format that DVDSubEdit can understand?

David
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The program mentioned here is supposed to convert sub/idx to dvd .sup format.
    If it can then DvdSubEdit should be able to open it.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/286929-sup-to-idx-sub?p=1852237&viewfull=1#post1852237
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    The thread you referenced made it clear that there are three different flavours of .sup file, which was not something of which I was previously aware. I also didn't know that BDSup2Sub had an option to export as 'SUP/IFO' (I've always exported as 'SUB/IDX'). After using this SUP/IFO option, the resulting .sup file was then readable by DVDSubEdit. Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction, as my own Google searches had not been fruitful.

I now have issues in getting DVDSubEdit to behave in a sensible fashion but as it's now nearly midnight here in the UK, I will have another go in the morning when my brain is fully functioning...

David
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Unfortunately, I can't get DVDSubEdit V1.52 to run properly on my Windows 7 machine.

I can load my SUP file after conversion in BDSup2Sub but the subtitles are not visible unless I use a subpic vertical position of 420 and a subpic horizontal position of -590. I also get strange effects of the subtitle and its black background appearing in front of many of the controls when the subpic settings are less than those quoted values. Both subpic settings revert to their default zero settings as soon as I move to the next subtitle.

I've tried running DVDSubEdit in Windows XP compatibility mode but it makes no difference.

David
    Last edited by haggis999; 1st Apr 2015 at 15:55.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Then just OCR them to some text-based format and make all the changes you like. With some small amount of knowledge you can make better-looking subs than the ones in DVDs anyway. Blu-Rays I don't know.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    I'm well aware that I could convert all the subtitles to a text format such as SRT but I explained in my OP why I prefer not to do this for what would usually be very small changes. If that was the only solution, it might just be easier to live with the speling misstaques.

It's rather frustrating that I appear so close to being able to do what I want using DVDSubEdit. Despite the previously mentioned problems, I've been able to export a subpic as a BMP file (I don't appear to have the JPG option used by sambat, as shown in his screen shots above), edit that file in Photoshop to insert an extra 'f' to convert 'of' to 'off' and then paste it over the original subpic.

However, the program won't let me move the subtitle back to its original location way off the visible DVDSubEdit screen before I save the modified SUP file. My assumption is therefore that the modified subtitle would not appear in the same place as all the other subtitles.

Perhaps I should raise a new thread about using DVDSubEdit...

David
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I assume the sup files are DVD compliant as to resolution and you also use the ifo generated by BDSup2Sub to load them into DvdSubEdit.
    I save 'subpic to bitmap' as 24 bit .bmp, modify and save them the same and 'replace current subpic with .bmp' to reload into DvdSubEdit ok.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by haggis999 View Post
    I've been able to export a subpic as a BMP file...
    Which is what you want. sambat probably converted the BMP to JPG to make it smaller for upload here.
    However, the program won't let me move the subtitle back to its original location way off the visible DVDSubEdit screen before I save the modified SUP file. My assumption is therefore that the modified subtitle would not appear in the same place as all the other subtitles.
    I didn't understand any of that. Have you read the very good and included help file that explains in detail how to perform this procedure? You said you couldn't make the program run properly on your computer. Is this what you meant? In spite of what sambat said above, you'll be better off saving and editing your BMPs as 4-bit and not 24-bit.
    Perhaps I should raise a new thread about using DVDSubEdit...
    You're more likely to find the developer at Doom9 than here.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sambat View Post
    I assume the sup files are DVD compliant as to resolution and you also use the ifo generated by BDSup2Sub to load them into DvdSubEdit.
    I save 'subpic to bitmap' as 24 bit .bmp, modify and save them the same and 'replace current subpic with .bmp' to reload into DvdSubEdit ok.
    Yes, I was using the IFO generated by BDSup2Sub as well as the SUP file. However, your comment about resolution highlighted the stupid mistake I had been making. I had assumed that BDSup2Sub would use the correct resolution when selecting the SUP/IFO export option but it had kept the original BD resolution. After using an option I found in BDSup2Sub to resize the file, I was then able to get DVDSubEdit to display the subtitles without having to modify the co-ordinates.

However, I have a new problem. The quality of the subtitles is pretty awful after conversion from 1920x1080 to 720x576 (PAL DVD resolution). I think I must now face the fact that this is not going to be a viable solution for me, which leaves me with the choice of living with the original errors or converting to SRT subtitles.

Thanks for your help on this. It's much appreciated.

David
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    SubtitleCreator can load a sup file and change the formatting, perhaps selecting a different font would clear it up.
    All I got.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    To be a little more precise about the poor quality issue after conversion to 720x576, over half the subtitles are just about acceptable but the remainder look as if they are in bold text and they are very poor quality.

Rather oddly, this effect is only apparent in DVDSubEdit. All converted subtitles in BDSup2Sub are of the same quality and none of them use bold text.

David
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sambat View Post
    SubtitleCreator can load a sup file and change the formatting, perhaps selecting a different font would clear it up.
    All I got.
    Rather interestingly, SubtitleCreator appears to let me directly edit the text contained in a SUP file and then resave it in SUP format. When I opened this edited file in DVDSubEdit the change was correctly displayed. That is obviously much easier than editing text in Photoshop.

David
    Quote Quote