VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. The Paint Man
    Search Comp PM
    I have visited this forum many times for advice from previous peoples issues but finally made an account to ask for help,
    I am having issues removing frequency interference from a video recording of a concert video recording and was wondering if anyone could help.
    Hopefully there should be a clip attached (I am new to posting here so I am not 100% sure I did everything right)
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't see any frequency interference. The film has been telecined (i.e., extra fields added to allow 24 fps to play on a 30 fps interlaced display). If you want to apply filters of some sort, you will need to remove those duplicate fields (i.e., perform inverse telecine using something like IVTC which consists of TFM and TDecimate).

[edit]I was wrong about telecine. I grabbed the wrong clip.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 24th Mar 2021 at 13:17. Reason: corrected my mistake in the [edit] section
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used QTGMC instead of IVTC.
    After doing QTGMC to double rate deinterlace this is frame 279, one of the worst here.
    The Defreq plugin in Avisynth was designed for this, but the documentation is sparse,
    nobody seems to understand it that well and it hasn't been updated since 2006

Saying that, the clip does look much better once it's deinterlaced. Perhaps some other ideas
    will be forthcoming
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	freq.png
Views:	44
Size:	545.6 KB
ID:	57984  

Quote Quote  
  4. Does someone has the same decoding errors as i do for this video?
    What would cause that ?
    Not all frames are like that but many
    below, frame 19 for instance:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sao.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	57985  

*** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  5. Decoding works fine here. (using LWLibavVideoSource)
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    Does someone has the same decoding errors as i do for this video?
    Works fine for me with
    -AVISource (official lagarith decoder)
    -ffms2
    -lsmash

What would cause that ?
    corrupt download ? try re-downloading it
    hardware problem ? corrupt memory, hard drive ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Since it is telecined, I think QTGMC is going to do bad things to the clip. I'll try Defreq later today.

I posted results from Defreq not that long ago:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/398728-Avisynth-herringbone-removal#post2594738

The guy didn't think the results were very good, so I posted this before/after still:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/398728-Avisynth-herringbone-removal#post2594854

You have to also download his clip (in post #1) to see how much improvement I made. In my experience, you never get 100% of the interference, but often can get 80-90%, as I did with this example.

You can judge if it helped, or not. If you read through the whole thread, I provide information on how to set it. I've never found it particularly hard to use. The big problem is that interference patterns tend to change angle, width, motion, and intensity over time, so you sometimes have to apply the filter to sections of the video, change parameters, and then do the next section.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Since it is telecined,
    It's not telecined content; it's interlaced content 59.94 fields/ sec . Each field represents a different moment in time. (There is a frame drop near the beginning, but other than that it's pretty steady movement)

Maybe you downloaded wrong clip ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Since it is telecined,
    It's not telecined content; it's interlaced content 59.94 fields/ sec . Each field represents a different moment in time. (There is a frame drop near the beginning, but other than that it's pretty steady movement)

Maybe you downloaded wrong clip ?
    I was wrong about telecine. I did indeed grab the wrong clip. I added a correction statement to my post above. The interference looks like it came from the audio bleeding into the video. It is possible that a different VCR might capture the clip differently.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The Paint Man
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    It is possible that a different VCR might capture the clip differently.
    I wish that was an option I could take but this transfer was done by someone else and shared on a forum so getting a re-transfer on another VCR is a no go
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's possible that horizontal pattern is in the original recording itself. I've seen old concerts broadcast on the TV
    with that same pattern.
    With my rudimentary understanding of the filter, I can reduce it a little:
    Code:
    qtgmc(preset="slow")
    defreq(fx=0.0,fy=-10.8,dy=2.5,sharp=8.8)
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by davexnet; 24th Mar 2021 at 16:01.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I couldn't improve much on davexnet's results, although it might be possible to fine tune it further using the 2nd and 3rd order parameters. Calling it a second time with different sharp settings might also provide slightly better results.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I added a few more frequencies to reduce the banding even more. But the remaining bands are more irregular. I don't know that it really looks better.

Code:
    AviSource("Sao Paulo.avi") 
    AssumeTFF()

QTGMC(preset="slow")

defreq(fx=0.0, fy=-10.8, dy=2.5, sharp=8.8, info=false, show=0)
    defreq(fx=0.0, fy=-10.0, dx=0, dy=2.0, sharp=0.0, info=false, show=0)
    defreq(fx=0.0, fy=9.5, dx=0, dy=2.0, sharp=0.0, info=false, show=0)
    defreq(fx=0.0, fy=9.0, dx=1, dy=4.0, sharp=0.0, info=false, show=0)
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote