Thread
    Search PM
    I have a HDTV video that sized 2.15 GB, and here's the media info:

Click image for larger version

Name:	MI.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	21527

I want to compress it to 700 mb - 1 gb with the same resolution (and not so lossy quality if it possible), and I've tried to encode it with handbrake, but it's failed (i dont know it's me or the setting). So if if i may ask, can you guys give me the handbrake preset/setting in order to get that size?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try with VidCoder - a frontend for HandBrake.

It'll allow you to specify target size under Video tab
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    Try with VidCoder - a frontend for HandBrake.

Thank you, i'll try it i'll wait for another (handbrake setting) since i'm wondering why mine weren't working, but thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Paxpatrone View Post
    I want to compress it to 700 mb - 1 gb

i'll wait for another (handbrake setting) since i'm wondering why mine weren't working, but thanks!
    What part of "It'll allow you to specify target size" are you having trouble understanding?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've found that relatively new users don't want to hear this, but if you want best quality for re encoding you'll probably be better off resizing it, say to 720p x 404p. Remember, the source is almost certainly already compressed. You can't get the same quality as if you re encoded the original source. Decent 720*404p is better than blocky/noisy 720p, which is what you're going to get if you stick to 720p at that file size.

I know there are people who rave about how great some of these 700Mb 720p encodes are, but unless they're watching them on their phones they're just plain wrong. I've seen them. And they weren't re encoded from an already compressed source as you want to do.

Vidcoder is probably a good choice for you. The reason you couldn't set a target file size in handbrake is that they no longer support it. It does support target bit rate, which is the same thing really. File size = running time * bit rate. You can find bit rate calculators easily but you may as well use vidcoder in target file size mode.

BTW I don't actually believe vidcoder is a handbrake gui/font end. I think it's a front end for the same encoder. Not that that matters to you necessarily.

PS if you're going to use target bitrate/file size, do not use 1 pass encoding unless you want crappy quality video. There's no way around this in that mode.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I want to compress it to 700 mb - 1 gb

i'll wait for another (handbrake setting) since i'm wondering why mine weren't working, but thanks!
    What part of "It'll allow you to specify target size" are you having trouble understanding?
    I'm sorry, but it's not that i dont understand (i havent try it but at least i know how it works), what i'm trying to say in that sentence is i want to know the preset in handbrake that will compress the video under 1 GB.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    I've found that relatively new users don't want to hear this, but if you want best quality for re encoding you'll probably be better off resizing it, say to 720p x 404p. Remember, the source is almost certainly already compressed. You can't get the same quality as if you re encoded the original source. Decent 720*404p is better than blocky/noisy 720p, which is what you're going to get if you stick to 720p at that file size.

I know there are people who rave about how great some of these 700Mb 720p encodes are, but unless they're watching them on their phones they're just plain wrong. I've seen them. And they weren't re encoded from an already compressed source as you want to do.

Vidcoder is probably a good choice for you. The reason you couldn't set a target file size in handbrake is that they no longer support it. It does support target bit rate, which is the same thing really. File size = running time * bit rate. You can find bit rate calculators easily but you may as well use vidcoder in target file size mode.

BTW I don't actually believe vidcoder is a handbrake gui/font end. I think it's a front end for the same encoder. Not that that matters to you necessarily.

PS if you're going to use target bitrate/file size, do not use 1 pass encoding unless you want crappy quality video. There's no way around this in that mode.
    Thank you for the information, i'm newbie so it's so helpfull for me
    Quote Quote  
  8. BTW I don't actually believe vidcoder is a handbrake gui/font end
    Would just mention: I believe it's a frontend for this
    Quote Quote  
  9. Code:
    file size = bitrate * running time
    So, if you want a smaller file use a lower bitrate. Use a bitrate calculator to determine what bitrate to use to get the size you want.

https://www.videohelp.com/calc
    Quote Quote