VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. very newbie so apologies for what I'm sure is a very simple use case.

I have a simple MP4 file w/1 AVC video track, 1 audio track eac3, and 2 subtitles. I'm happy with everything in it

All I want to do is a straight copy of the 4 elements from this MP4 over to another MP4 with a single change to the subtitle 2 track to be flagged as forced ?

Alternatively I'd like to accomplish the same exact thing, straight across elemental copies no re-encoding anything over to a MKV container (I can change that single flag rather easily in a mkv with tools I'm familiar with)

Sorry for the simple question, seems everything I try it starts rebuilding all the tracks - I started off as simple as I could make it "ffmpeg -i input.mp4 output.mkv"

Thanks for any pointers
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    mkvtoolnix. You're welcome.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It's called a remux or re-multiplex.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by SaurusX View Post
    got that, doesn't help until I can get it put in a mkv unchanged first. Doesn't understand MP4's
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by bwbob View Post
    Originally Posted by SaurusX View Post
    got that, doesn't help until I can get it put in a mkv unchanged first. Doesn't understand MP4's
    Drag & drop the mp4 into the upper window.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Originally Posted by bwbob View Post
    Originally Posted by SaurusX View Post
    Drag & drop the mp4 into the upper window.
    Thanks ! I found that before and it almost works perfect, it only "sees" and shows the 1 video track and the 1 audio track to select in the lower box, the 2 subtitle tracks text 1 and text 2 don't show up in the selection box. Multiplexing it is almost instant and video and audio copy straight across but in the new mkv both subtitles are missing
    Quote Quote  
  7. Post a mediainfo report (text mode) from your mp4 here
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Post a mediainfo report (text mode) from your mp4 here
    Thanks - its below. what I'm trying to fix is the 3rd from the bottom field, it's a forced subtitle but not flagged as such.
    Everything else I'm trying to just straight copy across with no changes, it can stay in an MP4 or into a MKV
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  9. Try clever Ffmpeg-GUI.
    Load your mp4, click main, click multiplex, set mkv as container, set only one subtitle as forced, click multiplex. Done.
    Should work.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Try clever Ffmpeg-GUI.
    Load your mp4, click main, click multiplex, set mkv as container, set only one subtitle as forced, click multiplex. Done.
    Should work.
    Worked very well - THANKS !

Noticed a couple of things, if I left it to multiplex from MP4 still to a MP4 the Codec ID at the top general portion changed from mp42 to isom in the new file and the video was very very slightly altered bit rate and size? Is it unable to be transferred over unaltered? And the forced flag was not set for the 2nd subtitle track even though it was checked (tried it twice) but it does work when converting to MKV.

When going to MKV the subtitle codec was changed from tx3g to UTF8 which did not occur in the MP4 to MP4? Is that a MKV standard? But the forced flag did get set correctly for the 2nd subtitle !

Very nice little front end ! Attached mediainfos for each
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by bwbob View Post
    Worked very well - THANKS !
    Noticed a couple of things, if I left it to multiplex from MP4 still to a MP4 the Codec ID at the top general portion changed from mp42 to isom in the new file and the video was very very slightly altered bit rate and size? Is it unable to be transferred over unaltered? And the forced flag was not set for the 2nd subtitle track even though it was checked (tried it twice) but it does work when converting to MKV.
    Muxing from mp4 to mp4 doesn't alterate the videostream. It is copied as is, the differences in the info are from muxer itself.

When going to MKV the subtitle codec was changed from tx3g to UTF8 which did not occur in the MP4 to MP4? Is that a MKV standard? But the forced flag did get set correctly for the 2d subtitle
    Ffmpeg is unable to set the forced flag in mp4 container.
    Quote Quote  
  12. thanks for all the help... off to mkv's for me
    Quote Quote  
  13. Note that timed text subs from mp4 files isn't supported by mkvtoolnix. They must first be converted to another sub format like SRT.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If I can just butt in and ak a Question Please? Does this program Remuxx MKV into AVI or MP4 I have hunted and tried HBrk wont do it, Pargyalem Russhion was Good it gone everything else has gone now Cheers dasas
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by dashas View Post
    If I can just butt in and ak a Question Please? Does this program Remuxx MKV into AVI or MP4 I have hunted and tried HBrk wont do it, Pargyalem Russhion was Good it gone everything else has gone now Cheers dasas
    Yes, if the single streams codecs are compatible with the container, clever Ffmpeg-GUI can mux to 3gp, asf, avi, m2ts, mov, mpg, mp4, mkv, ts, vob, mfx, webm.
    Last edited by ProWo; 19th Nov 2021 at 12:11. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    G/Day ProMo I tred cleverFFmpeg and it was a virus once I loaded it it said I had to download 3 other appps before it would Work? Paryglem (Russian) or somthinng like that was simple to use but it's nolonger around any Ideas I only want to convert MKV to MP4 Thanks ProWo dashas
    Quote Quote  
  17. The virus massage is false alarm.
    The 3 other files to download are the binaries from ffmpeg itself (ffmpeg.exe, ffprobe.exe, ffplay.exe), not included in the download of clever Ffmpeg-GUI.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank Mate It takes awhile but do eventually catch on? Those other downloads must have been from another program I tried, Not yours Thans again Cobba I wll catch U later dashas
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quite possibly the subtitles in the mp4 file are "timed text". MKVToolNix doesn't recognise them so they don't appear. Maybe the file is ex Apple? Anyway you need to extract the subs from the mp4 file as srt and then include them with the mp4 you drag into MKVToolNix.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Quite possibly the subtitles in the mp4 file are "timed text". MKVToolNix doesn't recognise them so they don't appear. Maybe the file is ex Apple? Anyway you need to extract the subs from the mp4 file as srt and then include them with the mp4 you drag into MKVToolNix.
    The OP gave mediainfo reports in posts 9 and 11. They files are mp4 and the subs are indeed Timed Text. I pointed out in post 14 that Timed Text subs aren't supported by mkvtoolnix so they need to be converted to SRT (or some other supported format). That's what ffmpeg (via ProWo's Clever GUI) is doing for him (without the need to demux the subs).
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search PM
    Avidemux & Xmedia Recode are more than enough for such tasks.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by Truthler View Post
    Avidemux & Xmedia Recode are more than enough for such tasks.
    Neither avidemux nor xmediarecode can do that.
    Quote Quote  
  23. @ProWo. I'm still working my way through this. Using the latest version of Clever that does a great job of getting the forced subtitle over correctly and flagged.
    Issue I'm having now is the scale of the converted subtitle is too large. Where can I adjust that either before its muxed or after, I'm not seeing a place in MKVtoolnix to change it once done so I'm guessing it needs to be done as part of the MP4 to MKV conversion process.

Couple of quick screenshots so it makes sense. Thanks for all the help
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot OrigMP4.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	62104  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot Muxed.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	62105  

Quote Quote  
  24. Srt subtitles can not be resized, the player determines the size during playback.
    If you want to resize them, you have to convert srt to ass.
    You can do that with clever ffmpeg-GUI.
    For further adjustments you can edit the ass subtitle in Subtitle edit and then mux it with clever FFmpeg-GUI.
    Quote Quote