VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there,

I have on this PCmy normal internet. There is a separate connection in the room next door which can be connected wirelessly in here also.

How would i go about downloading from just this one PC BUT using both connections? Is it possible?

Thank you.

Mart.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is nothing to stop you having an ethernet connection and wireless connection running at the same time. You can also download on each connection at the same time, however each download will only run across one link, as each download is tied to one IP address. A downloader that downloads multiple parts of a file simultaneously may spread the load across both links, but you have no control over this. Windows will do the balancing for you, and usually will go for the fastest link, which will usually be the ethernet connection. Torrents would probably get the most form this type of connection.

I don't know of any simple way to consolidate the two into a single link within windows, although there are routers that can do it with multiple DSL links, for example.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much mate!

So is there any option/setting i wld need to change/enable to run 2 connections?
    Basically i alwatys have the ethernet one on. If i were to connect wirelessly through the other connection is there an option i'd need to enable both of them to run together or would it happen automatically?
    Also in utorrent would i need to enable transfers to run through the wireless one and then for the ethernet one? if so how would it be done?

Thank you.

Mart.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SE14man View Post
    I have on this PCmy normal internet. There is a separate connection in the room next door which can be connected wirelessly in here also.

How would i go about downloading from just this one PC BUT using both connections? Is it possible?
    I don't think it's possible.

Even if it were, you would not be able to download any faster.
    I'd be amazed if you were using anywhere near the capacity of the ethernet link, so adding the smaller amount of the wifi link to that will not give you any more usable bandwidth.

Your PC will appear on the Internet with the IP of the router, however you connect to it. If the host allows multiple connections most downloaders will let you do that using a single connection to your router, running several streams at once from the host.
    Last edited by AlanHK; 14th Oct 2010 at 09:53.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You have no real control over which goes up or down which path. All you can do is enable both connections and see what happens.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks 4 yr help guys
    Quote Quote  
  7. Along time back there was a modem you could use that would take 2 connections so you got 2x the speed. I doubt you'd find them today.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Along time back there was a modem you could use that would take 2 connections so you got 2x the speed. I doubt you'd find them today.
    Is thest the one that allowed you to piggy-back two 14.4 connections and get a whopping 28.8 KiloBaud from two phonelines?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
    Along time back there was a modem you could use that would take 2 connections so you got 2x the speed. I doubt you'd find them today.
    Is thest the one that allowed you to piggy-back two 14.4 connections and get a whopping 28.8 KiloBaud from two phonelines?
    I live in a rural area and I used to do this all the time. It's called Multi-Link and it's a built-in feature of WinXP:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307849

You can install as many modems as you have phone lines. Most, if not all, ISPs will accept multiple dial up connections and sync them - doubling, tripling (or more) your connection speed. It's based on the ISDN technology that synchronizes the B channels.

It's fairly trivial to instruct a network server to use another internet connection if the primary one fails. As AlanHK says, it would be unusual for you to completely saturate a broadband connection with one PC, so there's nothing really to be gained.
    Quote Quote