VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi!

I have a video from snapchat that I have difficulties playing (on the computer).

It's a .mp4 and it plays perfectly on VLC and QuickTime - but not on anything else. I've tried downloading all sorts of codecs and stuff but i dont get it to work. It dosen't work when uploaded to youtube or facebook for example.

Often the first images are fine, but then the rest of the video is like this: https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/iNjUxXh.png

It can also be the reversed. The first images dont show but the rest of the video is fine.

This is the video (for download): https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2hzopfx_ybFLWpVMmJyTnctLUU

Does anyone have any idea?
    Quote Quote  
    Some sort of cave with bats flying around
    Search PM
    Watched the video all the way till the end on that drive.google link and it seems to be corrupted which is impossible to recover but it's best to get more responses incase im wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I tried graus video repair tool and it couldn't fix it. Maybe if you have a working reference file from same camera/mobile.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I tried graus video repair tool and it couldn't fix it. Maybe if you have a working reference file from same camera/mobile.
    The thing is: it is working. It's not corrupted or anything. Plays fine in VLC and QuickTime. When I look in VLC for codec information it seems that the file has multiple video streams?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I don't think the file is broken. I'm guessing that between the variable frame rate and the GOP structure and the probability that different parts are encoded in different ways, many players simply can't interpret it correctly. It plays fine, as you say, in quicktime. I also see no indication of multiple video tracks (via MediaInfo, QTInfo or VLC,) where are you getting that from?

Your best bet is probably to export it from Quicktime Pro or VLC with more standard parameters.
    Last edited by smrpix; 6th Dec 2015 at 10:29.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 85482 View Post
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    The thing is: it is working. It's not corrupted or anything. Plays fine in VLC and QuickTime. When I look in VLC for codec information it seems that the file has multiple video streams?
    Ooops. I forgot to read your entire post...

But try export/reconvert it with vlc media player or quicktime as smrpix mentions.
    Quote Quote