VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    So I've noticed when comparing telecined video on each that on VLC I get the blurred/interlaced frames every few frames, whereas when I play it with the default DVD player, I get no such frames. What is the reason for this? And if this isn't something that can be fixed in VLC, is there any video player I could download that would give me the same result as the built in DVD player (I'm trying to play VOB rips)?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try another player like MplayerX and see how it looks like.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by 90sTV View Post
    So I've noticed when comparing telecined video on each that on VLC I get the blurred/interlaced frames every few frames, whereas when I play it with the default DVD player, I get no such frames. What is the reason for this? And if this isn't something that can be fixed in VLC, is there any video player I could download that would give me the same result as the built in DVD player (I'm trying to play VOB rips)?
    VLC doesn't deinterlace by default. Set it up in Tools -> Preferences -> Video. Try MPC-BE or MPC-HC. Or -> https://www.videohelp.com/software/sections/video-players .
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Well, I had VLC set to deinterlace. But what I'm saying is when viewing telecined content on the default player for the Mac I don't get any of those added in-between frames, like this:

Whereas on VLC, I get that every few frames, but the other frames are fine so long as I have it set to deinterlace.

Is the default player doing inverse telecine or something?
    Quote Quote  
  5. It could be your video card doing the IVTC and for some reason it's able to detect the video requires it when using the default player but not when using VLC.
    I know nothing about Macs but my video card has an IVTC setting, however it's various other settings for video (contrast, brightness, level range et) don't have any effect on the way VLC displays video, only for DirectShow based players, so maybe the same thing could happen when it comes to IVTC. I've not tested that though and I'm using a PC..... it's just something I thought might be worth a mention.

I don't use VLC much either but it's de-interlacing has an "auto" setting which I'd assume is supposed to enable de-interlacing if required and maybe also switch to IVTC rather than de-interlacing if needed, but if that's not happening or it's getting it wrong you might have to manually change the de-interlacing mode to IVTC as required.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The default dvd player is either doing a better deinterlace in the interlaced frames (something like vector/motion adaptative) instead just blurring them (what vlc is doing aparently). If your default dvd player is apple's there is a high chance its using the videocard for deinterlace (which usually turns out better results), vlc thou doesn't use the videocard for that as far as i know, not even under windows.

If you can advance frame by frame in your default dvd player you can find out if its deinterlacing or ivtc'ing.
    If it is deinterlacing you will get a pattern of repeated frames, like 11122334445566...
    If its ivtc'ing you won't get repeated frames, like 123456...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by 90sTV View Post
    Well, I had VLC set to deinterlace... I get [comb artifacts] every few frames
    Then it wasn't working right for some reason. In preferences set the default deinterlace mode to Yadif(2x) and force deinterlacing On. Exit the program then restart it. Any better?
    Quote Quote