VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all , if you do not know me then read this thread to get caught up

i am about to order the Tripod for my setup, The issue I have is that I have so many functions this pod needs to be able to do. here is the gear that will be on the tripod.

Canon XA10
    Lilliput 7" field monitor
    Some sort of video light (those may be put on stands, but sometimes they will be mounted on the camera)
    Lanc controller

For photo work I will have the

Canon S110

I hope to share the pod between the two

for applications I will need something that is somewhat lightweight, sturdy, can pan and tilt, and I can use it for both photo and video work

I have been racking my brain, it seems its either video work or photo work when it comes to a pod

Most of the use will be for the video shots, but the S110 will get some use on the pod as well

Not looking to spend a ton of cash, but not looking for a 20 dollar job either

Remember I am travelling on a bicycle with this gear, I have a travel trailer to pull behind me, but still want to stay somewhat portable

Any help or suggestions will be great, I have read several articles, I am shopping through Amazon for time constraints

thanks again

Jay
    Jays Odyssey
    Coming to a TV near you in January 2016
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What's your budget? $20<?>Ton is not something people can narrow down with. For all intents & purposes, that range includes ALL tripods.

Calculate your weight requirements (adding up ALL the elements you intend to attach to/hold on the tripod) & multiply by ~2 and that will be the rating you should go for.

Can you afford true fluid head & do you absolutely need it for your work? - Most good Fluid Head tripods start at ~$200 and go up from there.
    If you need graceful & eased-in/out pans & tilts in a majority of your shots, that's where FH's shine. Obviously, this is one of the things that separates a photo from a video tripod, as it is totally unnecessary in a photo tripod. Conversely, video tripods rarely need cantilevered/3-axis heads.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Scott

About 150 tops (I know that is cheap but I am willing to compromise a little on build) the issue is as you said the heads will be expensive

I will be doing all sorts of shots for this show, Nothing like what you see on hollywood movies, but think like "Parts Unknown" style filming, TBH I think most tripod work will be for the interviews or side to side pans for like a shot on the beach

Maybe like having the presenter on the beach, focusing on them then panning away across the scene then zooming in over their shoulder, then zooming out and panning back to them

Think like "news on location" shots, but not a whole ton of those, indeed some shots will be watching people swim in a lake, or panning slowly down a waterfall,

i know this is scattered, welcome to my life

Ok so weight requirements

Canon XA - 1.72- 2.1 lbs (with boom mic attached)
    lilliput or other (about 1.5 lbs)
    lanc controller on handle (3 ounces)

The S110 weighs like 4 ounces so the primary focus is for the video camera work

I would say a 5 pound load weight would be more then enough

Budget: 80-150
    Load: 5-66 lbs
    Use: video-photo work
    Last edited by jaysodyssey; 25th Oct 2015 at 09:49.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A little heavy and not brand name but good reviews

no pan/tilt though

Tripod
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi all. I ve got a broblem! I own TP 2800 camlink tripod and i ordered a ball head and Metal Steel 1/4'' - 3/8'' Threaded Bushing Reducer f to mount on it. The problem is that i just realised the head is not suitable for change (that is just unscrew the old and screw in the new one) so i need to somehow hack it. Any advice so as not to buy a new one?
    Quote Quote