VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Greetings,

No matter how many posts I read, and software packages I have tried, I keep hitting a brick wall, so I am hoping that someone will take pity and answer ...

... I am trying to rip a few animated television episodes from various DVD's to put onto one DVD. With this, I am trying to get the highest quality AVI possible, for importing into Premiere to edit.

While Auto Gordion Knot seems to be the favorite, is not particularly friendly or useful when it comes to locating a specific episode (since it focuses on VOB's without previews). Imtoo DVD Ripper also seems to be a favorite but when attempting to rip as DVVIDEO or HUFFYUV, the status immediately goes to FAILED, and it won't rip. Similarly, when choosing RAWVIDEO it DOES rip, but the resulting AVI is too large for Premiere (and also exceeds, by many times, the maximum spec AVI file size). Ripping as MP4, etc., produces incredible 'jaggies' on the rip, much less on the reencode.

So I am really stuck. If anyone out there has successfully ripped single animated episodes to AVI at high high quality for editing and re-authoring PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know what program you used and what settings you used.

For all those that actually answer, thank you so very much!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Rip with DVD Decrypter in IFO mode to get episodes as a single VOB files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If all you are doing is re-authoring a new "greatest hits" type DVD....going to uncompressed AVI is a waste of time.
    Quote Quote  
  4. JAGABO: Will Encore read in those VOB's just as if they were AVI's?

HECH54: Thanks for the responses - I am somewhat making a greatest hits. Some cartoons are vignettes (like Shin Chan; which has an opening theme, 3 different episodes [I only want 1 of them] and a closing theme; so that would be 3 different clips which need to be made into one. Does this change anything?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I don't use Encore but if I recall correctly it's not very flexible with source file types.

For cut/paste editing you can use any of the non-reencoding MPEG 2 editors like the free Mpg2cut2 (keyframe only cuts).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I use an old version of Womble MpegVCR for simple trimming...but there are at least two other free ones (one mentioned above) that are just as good. You can even join the cut pieces in MpegVCR too as I recall. It also opens VOBs and saves them as straight mpeg files.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    hech54's suggestion to use MPEGVCR is very good. You can try it before you buy it. Just rip and edit. No time consuming and space wasting conversion to AVI is necessary.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just remember that what you "Mark in" and "Mark out" in MpegVCR....between those two points is what you are SAVING/Keeping.
    That confused me a bit at first.
    Then press the little barrel looking icon at the bottom and save as an mpeg file...choose your destination....finished.
    Joining takes a bit more thought....but I'm sure there is a guide for it here somewhere.
    Quote Quote