VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, dear all.

My native language is brazilian portuguese. But, sometimes I encounter some subtitles in other languages and need to edit them.

How can I produce / edit / type / create subtitles in hebrew language? Maybe such advice can fit to another languages too, like greek, for example.

Do you point some specific program to type the hebrew letters?

If its possible, I prefer to use freeware programs, if it is available to the users. If not, no freeware are welcome too.

I heard about virtual keyboard. Can you recommend some of them to do the job?

Almost forgot to say: the "direction" of writing in Hebrew language is different from Western alphabets, right? They usually do it from right to left. How to deal with this kind of text? Does it need some different way to produce the subtitle in subtitling programs?

Thanks for helping.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  2. @ videobruger

Hi. Thanks for the link. But, it does not cover all my problem issues.

I do not want to cut mkv files with subs. Any language in such cases.

I want to type / produce / edit subtitles in hebrew ( or even other languages, like greek ) idiom. How to write / type such letters even if my keyboard do not belong to this idiom?

I could see Subtitle Edit and EditPlus programs mentioned there. Maybe they help in something.

And could see some more interesting things:

i need to be able to choose WINDOWS-1255
    i can only choose ANSI but after that i need to choose WINDOWS-1255

In SE use Edit -> Right-To-Left mode and Edit -> Fix RTL via Unicode and export as PGS

Click image for larger version

Name:	Subtitle Edit.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	37414

But, virtual keyboard, for example, concerning typing hebrew letters? Do you point some good ones? Or any program to install on PC to use for such tasks? It will be nice to have one program that I could type without the necessity to use internet.

Thanks for you help.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by devilcoelhodog View Post
    I want to type / produce / edit subtitles in hebrew ( or even other languages, like greek ) idiom. How to write / type such letters even if my keyboard do not belong to this idiom?
    For starters: Control Panel => Region and Language => Keyboards and Languages

When you select a Greek keyboard layout, for example, you'll be able to type Greek characters directly, without having to copy them from charmap's window. And if you select a hebrew or arabic keyboard layout, then the characters will be displayed RTL as well.

It's been this way since Windows 95

Typing CJK characters are a different story though. Chinese, Japanese and Korean languages require an IME (input method editor) interface, or a dedicated word processor (I use JWPce for writing Japanese text).

HTH.
    Quote Quote