VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 24
FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Dears,
    I'm new to this software so I'm running some tests.

Just one problem with interpolation:

[Attachment 44821 - Click to enlarge]

With and settings the output is just speeded up, three's really no interpolation.
    Input is a 3 minutes file at 18 fps, output is a 1 minute file at 60fps.

Any suggestions?

Tks a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Hello ultradj83,
    Difficult to analyze this problem because we lack information about the capture mode.
    However, if you used "Without Synchro", try "With Synchro" in the Edit Project/Capture Type.
    If that does not work, we will have to give you a little more information on your capture mode.
    And if possible, the MediaInfo of the captured clip.
    Regards
    Gilles
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by GillesH View Post
    Hello ultradj83,
    Difficult to analyze this problem because we lack information about the capture mode.
    However, if you used "Without Synchro", try "With Synchro" in the Edit Project/Capture Type.
    If that does not work, we will have to give you a little more information on your capture mode.
    And if possible, the MediaInfo of the captured clip.
    Regards
    Gilles
    Dear,
    I heard about that Synchro but I can't find it: where is it exactly?

About the files, this is the input:

[Attachment 44826 - Click to enlarge]

And this is the output:

[Attachment 44827 - Click to enlarge]

Thank you so much.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    You have a special tutorial "Projects" in the Menu "Help"

[Attachment 44828 - Click to enlarge]

For Open Projects Window

[Attachment 44829 - Click to enlarge]

To Choice the Synchro

[Attachment 44830 - Click to enlarge]

And multi-Infos in the Blue Icons "i"
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by GillesH View Post
    You have a special tutorial "Projects" in the Menu "Help"

[Attachment 44828 - Click to enlarge]

For Open Projects Window

[Attachment 44829 - Click to enlarge]

To Choice the Synchro

[Attachment 44830 - Click to enlarge]

And multi-Infos in the Blue Icons "i"
    Thank you so much, sync solved the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Very happy with this result.
    Good restoration
    Quote Quote  
  7. for some odd reason my video when added is upside down and back to front in virtualdub preivew if that makes sence ..... any tips to fix this
    Quote Quote  
  8. It is necessary to define the parameters of your project before inserting a video clip.
    For this, open the project window using the small wheel on the left.
    In this "Edit project" window, you can rotate the image.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Gelinox View Post
    It is necessary to define the parameters of your project before inserting a video clip.
    For this, open the project window using the small wheel on the left.
    In this "Edit project" window, you can rotate the image.
    thank you that sorted the issue
    Quote Quote  
  10. Have some MP4 transfers of old B&W Films that would like to restore (dust and scratch removal plus image stabilization and sharpening).

Am wondering if Film9 can do some or all of this?

If not Appreciate any recommendations of software that can.

Thanks

Ken
    Quote Quote  
  11. Are your transfers frame accurate? If not, Film9 or VideoFred's software can't help.

Frame accurate means that one frame of film is transferred to one frame of video, without frame or field blending, and without flicker caused by a projector shutter.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hi John,

"Are your transfers frame accurate?" Yes

Since I am new to this would appreciate some tips/suggestions how to set the software.

Has VideoFred's software been updated recently?

Ken
    Quote Quote  
  13. John,

Have you seen "Research at NVIDIA: AI Can Now Fix Your Grainy Photos by Only Looking at Grainy Photos" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp7HdI0-MIo

Was very impressed!!! Did some searching and was able to get PDF "Noise2Noise: Learning Image Restoration without Clean Data" https://arxiv.org/pdf/1803.04189.pdf which mentions "Our baseline is a recent state-of-the-art method ”RED30” (Mao et al., 2016), a 30-layer hierarchical residual network with 128 feature maps, which has been demonstrated to be very effective in a wide range of image restoration tasks, including Gaussian noise....For all further tests, we switch from RED30 to a shallower U-Net (Ronneberger et al., 2015) that is roughly 10× faster to train and gives similar results (−0.2 dB in Gaussian noise)."

Since have hardware challenged PC only checked U-net and found PDF "U-Net: Convolutional Networks for Biomedical Image Segmentation" https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/0704/5f87709d0b7b998794e9fa912c0aba912281.pdf which mentions "The u-net architecture achieves very good performance on very different biomedical segmentation applications...We provide the full Caffe[6]-based implementation and the trained networks4. We are sure that the u-net architecture can be applied easily to many more tasks.

Continued search and also found "U-Net: Convolutional Networks for Biomedical Image Segmentation" https://lmb.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/people/ronneber/u-net/index.html there is a short video and at bottom of page "We provide the u-net for download in the following archive: u-net-release-2015-10-02.tar.gz (185MB). It contains the ready trained network, the source code, the matlab binaries of the modified caffe network, all essential third party libraries, the matlab-interface for overlap-tile segmentation and a greedy tracking algorithm used for our submission for the ISBI cell tracking challenge 2015. Everything is compiled and tested only on Ubuntu Linux 14.04 and Matlab 2014b (x64)" Hope it will be ported to Windows!!! it also mentions "If you do not have a CUDA-capable GPU or your GPU is smaller than mine, edit segmentAndTrack.sh accordingly (see there for documentation)."

I wonder if U-Net has been tried by any European video restorers?

Ken
    Quote Quote  
  14. John,

I should have said has VideoFred's software been updated since his 31st October 2017, 11:10 post?

Thanks again for your comments!

Ken
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by KenithOlson View Post
    John,

I should have said has VideoFred's software been updated since his 31st October 2017, 11:10 post?

Thanks again for your comments!

Ken
    I'm not VideoFred, so you'll have to ask him. He certainly has done a lot of work with StainlessS' "GamMac" plugin which attempts to automatically correct both gamma, as wells as do some automatic color correction. I don't think he ever publicly released a version of his script that shows how he integrated it, although it is pretty trivial, if you've done any work with AVISynth scripts, to delete the old color correction and insert GamMac.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for everyone's work on this software. I had been slowly working through AviSynth and VirtualDub to enhance my film and VHS captures. I've read through most of the threads on this and other forums related to this such as VideoFred's extensive script. Film 9 will help a lot in focusing on what is important and streamlining my enhancement of my family's digitized films.

I started using Film 9 today and some of the popup windows are part way off the top of the screen--Final Frame, Colors Base, and Color Balance. 25% to 50% of the controls on each window are not visible. I am running Windows 7, 64bit on a i7-based computer with a 2560 x 1440 display. I typically run Windows with its display 125% enlargement feature turned on. I changed the size back to 100% and still have the same problem. Any idea why some of the windows go off the screen?

Thanks,
    Steve
    Quote Quote  
  17. I think this problem comes from the change of resolution.
    To recenter the windows, click on "Preference> Reset Film9"
    However, this will also delete the work in progress….

Roland
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you! This fixed the problem.

Steve
    Quote Quote  
  19. A new update of Film9 is available.

Here are the changes:
    25.10.2018 : Version 2.1
    - Using VirtualDub2
    - Update and Replacement of various DLLs
    - Remove the mandatory installation of Lagarith, QuickTime, Xvid packages
    - Update K-Lite Pack
    - Deleting default settings when opening the clip
    - Added Extensions for Decoding (.MXF, .VOB, .TS)
    - Modification of the Decoding System
    - Remove Xvid Encoding (replaced by H264)
    - Choice of the output container (mp4, mov, avi, mkv)
    - Choice of Output Codec (H264, ProRes, FFV1 Lossless, Lagarith, No Compression)
    - Choice of an output bitrate for the MP4
    - Added various Encodings for Audio (PCM, AC3, MP3)
    - Improved process for AutoWhite (White Balance)
    - Attenuation of the AutoGain
    - Simplification of the procedure to display the completed clips
    - Replacing video tutorials with downloadable .pdf Documentation in two languages
    - Improved Audio Track Detection
    - Added a 16/9 Framing Function (blurred edges)
    - Changing Color Balance Settings
    - Minor changes to the Presentation
    - Bug fixes and code optimization

Gilles and I wish you a lot of satisfaction with this new version.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Many thanks for your great efforts on our beloved old videos.

I am pretty new to this but the software (v 2.1) seems to promise me very fine results on our old footage from a super8. I have - for now - two questions.

a) we let a company capture the films - unfortunately there seems an round area at the left frame border which has a slight hotspot to it (like if the were some kind of lamp...) this becomes prominent as soon as the needed brightness and gamma corrections are made. It introduces some visible brighter area there in which also disturbing noise/ grain is seen. Can this be fixed with some kind of local brightness adaption (perhaps a mask or something) - there seems to be a hotspot filter for virtualdub. Can it be used in this softwares processing chain?

b) is it possible to influence Midtones? I see darks and highlight slider but I would need to affect the mids (gradation curves?)

Thank you for your input!

Edit:
    Just did point a) with VDub2 and the Hotspot Plugin from here http://rationalqm.us/hotspot/hotspot.html
    It is pretty easy to create a Mask and then you have to tweak the Multiply and Add values... Unfortunately it is another conversion step which produces a huge amount of data if you want to save it lossless to feed it to Film9 afterwards - it would be awesome to have that in the Film9 Workflow!
    Last edited by mcconnor; 26th Oct 2018 at 09:59.
    Quote Quote  
  21. It is not possible to add other filters than those proposed.
    And there is no setting only dedicated to midtones.
    In general, users first process their capture with Film9, then transfer their video to editing software to make other corrections.
    I happen to go back to Film9 again with the same clip, after the editing program to make a last light treatment.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Quote from mcconnor

Unfortunately it is another conversion step which produces a huge amount of data if you want to save it lossless to feed it to Film9 afterwards

You can export from Vdub using a lossless codec like lagerith which will produce a file a fraction of the size uncompressed ,the file will
    be exactly the same quality- wise and Film9 can accept Lagerith as input,

To export with Lagerith in Vdub select " video/compression" and then choose Lagerith, if its not in the list then download and install the lossless codec from here.
    https://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html.

You can of course use other losselss codecs like HuffYuv, FFV1, etc,

Thanks Gelinox and Giles for the latest version,loving the new extra export codecs
    Last edited by restore-chappy; 27th Oct 2018 at 09:32. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
  23. If you spell Lagarith correctly you are given a link to download it from this site. And, yes, using lossless is a much better idea then using uncompressed.

mcconner's hotspot problem can be fixed (or at least greatly improved) by creating a mask for filtering that place on the film. AviSynth is ideally suited for this.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Some small adjustments on the latest version :

• Better support for some Audio Codecs
    • Minor modification window Projects
    • Detection and possible installation of RunTime MSVC++ 2012/2013/2017
    • Support for Non-Standard dimensions as Desired Dimensions in the Project.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    If you spell Lagarith correctly you are given a link to download it from this site. And, yes, using lossless is a much better idea then using uncompressed.

mcconner's hotspot problem can be fixed (or at least greatly improved) by creating a mask for filtering that place on the film. AviSynth is ideally suited for this.
    The tricky part is that I now realized that the hotspot changes with the zoom level! It is not always the same - nonetheless I was able to alleviate the problem with a mask. But for me it was easier with the above mentioned filter for Virtualdub...

Could the "Lossless" H265 /H264 also be enabled in this software?
    Last edited by mcconnor; 13th Nov 2018 at 09:16. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  26. Image
    [Attachment 47394 - Click to enlarge]

As this software deals with old films and is based on Avisynth: Can this be implemented in the workflow (as it is also done with avisynth)?

http://avisynth.nl/users/fizick/descratch/descratch.html

On my recenct footage I have some rather obstrusive scratches (fortunately not throughout the whole film but only parts). After processing with Film9 that does some very good job otherwise those scratches are not fixed. For 8mm films such scratches are not uncommon and it might fit the software to deal with them. What do you think? Is that feasable?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by mcconnor View Post
    As this software deals with old films and is based on Avisynth: Can this be implemented in the workflow (as it is also done with avisynth)?
    You can try it by just running a section of your film through a standalone AVISynth script. However, having tried this myself many times, I doubt you will get much help. Scratches are really tough to remove automatically because they are almost constant from frame-to-frame, but not quite perfectly constant. They tend to wander horizontally and also grow and shrink vertically. Thus, unlike dirt spots which exist for exactly one frame, they cannot be removed by looking for a certain-sized artifact from one frame to the next and then removing anything that only exists for one frame, and they cannot be removed using a "de-logo" algorithm that is used to remove static bugs and other types of logos and timestamps that are perfectly stationary.

There is a way to remove scratches that works really well, but you have to do it at the time of the transfer. It is called a "wet gate" transfer and it involves applying a thin solution of slightly viscous fluid to the film prior to the transfer. It fills in the scratches and they completely disappear. You can Google "wet gate transfer" and you'll find lots of explanations along with excellent before/after examples.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Many thanks for explaining - that does not sound good. As the film is already transfered I wagered there might be some software help. I already tried to open the Lagarith File with the scratches in Avisynth - and failed (Virtualdub showing me the file hat no video stream - tried AVISource and DirectshowSource). If I can't even get this to work I doubt I can remove the scratches - I would have tryed playing around with the DeScratch but I am not even there to tweak the parameters.... Does not seem a trivial task to control AVISynth for a beginner... thats why I steered for Film9 I guess...)

Having read your explanation I guess I will have to live with the scratches. With all the unbelievable achievements with inpainting technology its a pity there is no such filter that works with temporal consistency and is available for avisynth....
    Quote Quote  
  29. If you use the film restoration script that VideoFred developed, and which I then adapted and sped up, you can sometimes remove certain scratches by using a really high setting for RemoveDirtMC.

You'll find all these film restoration scripts, including my versions, in these two threads:

The power of Avisynth restoring old 8mm films

Capturing and restoring old 8mm films

You might first want to try this script that StainlessS knocked together. The OP, who was also trying to remove film scratches, reported success. I have not tried it.

Removing thin vertical lines from Video

The script is given in post #7.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 6th Dec 2018 at 16:02. Reason: Doom9 screwed up a link by inserting a link to "AVISynth" inside a link I already created.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!