VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I hope this post is in the right place.

I'm trying to understand and setup an encoding process in Vegas Pro 15, hope someone can help. The goal is take my old .avi files, imported from a camcorder years ago, and after some basic edits convert it to mp4. According to MediaInfo, .avi files are 740x480 (4:3) at 29.97 fps (DV, NTSC).

So really two questions. I'm happy to provide screenshots of what I currently have - if that will help.

1. How do I setup my project preferences?
    2. How do I setup my render settings?

Thank you in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i don't have vegas 15 but there should be a project template for ntsc dv. it's 740x480 interlaced 29.97fps. output at whatever you want.it's probably 640x480 unless it was shot widescreen then it's more like 640x360
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    i don't have vegas 15 but there should be a project template for ntsc dv. it's 740x480 interlaced 29.97fps.
    Must be a typo. NTSC consumer DV is 720xc480. It has to be deintelaced before resizing. If you want 640x480 from 720x480, you can resize without deinterlacing. Either way, you'll get second-class results deinterlacing an/or resizing with Vegas. But, then, most people don't see that well anyway.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thx yes it's a typo. 720x480 on tape. converted to square pixel 4:3 Mp4 it is usually 640x480. with a high enough bitrate vegas does an acceptable job.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote