VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a problem that I demonstrated in a video I made a few weeks back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqSOAlSvw_s

Whenever I import recorded video footage using any recording software into Windows Movie Maker, it comes out the way it should, albeit with an obvious loss in video quality.

When I import that same footage into Sony Vegas, though, it turns out like crap in the preview window and in the final output. Has anyone else had this problem?
    Quote Quote  
  2. demonstrated what? where? wasn't here as this is listed as your first post.

is this some sort of game to get you more youtube views? not sure anyone's going to watch a youtube video from a first time poster here. you might try a couple screenshot stills if you need visual assistance with your problem. a more complete description of the problem would be a good idea also.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The type of video I import is an AVI, and I've tried two codecs: x264 and FFDShow. I've tried several different types of recording software (CamStudio, Camtasia, FRAPS, the works) and it gets me the same results every time.

When I import them into Windows Movie Maker, they look fine. When I import them into Sony Vegas, they look like crap (as shown in the video, since there's really no other way to show it). I don't know why this happens and I'm trying to find a fix.

Look at the moving character in the game. In the WMM example, it's normal. In the Vegas example, it gets some weird transparent color-blur.

It doesn't just happen on games, either. It also happens on websites and even my mouse and Desktop.

If it helps, I'm using Windows XP and Sony Vegas Pro 9.
    Quote Quote  
  4. ok start with copying and pasting a printout of the source file specs. get mediainfo, it's free. start it and set it to text mode. open a source file and post the results.

next. what are the project properties you are using in vegas. upper left, file/properties.

next what are the render to settings you are choosing to export your video?

and what is the output video intended to be viewed on?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by minidv2dvd
    ok start with copying and pasting a printout of the source file specs. get mediainfo, it's free. start it and set it to text mode. open a source file and post the results.
    I'm not sure whether I clicked on the right file.

These are the results I got:

General
    Complete name : C:\Program Files\Sony\Vegas Pro 9.0\vegas90.exe
    Format : MZ
    Format profile : Executable / Intel i386
    File size : 12.3 MiB
    Encoded date : UTC 2009-04-16 23:54:15
    I hope that's the correct one. If it's not, let me know which file you want me to use.

next. what are the project properties you are using in vegas. upper left, file/properties.

I never touched the other two tabs.

next what are the render to settings you are choosing to export your video?
    MainConcept AVC/AAC (.mp4) with my own custom settings.

and what is the output video intended to be viewed on?
    A standard Flash video networking site. (YouTube, Viddler, Blip.tv, etc.)
    Quote Quote  
  6. the mediainfo i was asking for was for a source video file, not the vegas .exe

i watched the video, what is the "looks like crap" part. there were 2 different looking parts one taller the other sharper looking. what was i supposed to notice?

a couple thing to try. in file/properties put final rendering quality to best. also the sony avc encoder option gives me better quality than the m.c. one.

i'm out for tonight. back tomorrow.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't see anything that "looks like crap". I have no idea what you're trying to do, or what you're referring to.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by minidv2dvd
    the mediainfo i was asking for was for a source video file, not the vegas .exe
    Oh, okay. Here's a sample:

General
    Complete name : C:\Documents and Settings\Graham Finch\Desktop\test.avi
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    File size : 6.90 MiB
    Duration : 35s 400ms
    Overall bit rate : 1 636 Kbps

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : MPEG-4 Visual
    Codec ID : XVID
    Codec ID/Hint : XviD
    Duration : 35s 400ms
    Bit rate : 165 Kbps
    Width : 600 pixels
    Height : 288 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 2.083
    Frame rate : 15.000 fps
    Resolution : 24 bits
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.064
    Stream size : 713 KiB (10%)

Audio
    Format : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness : Little
    Format settings, Sign : Unsigned
    Codec ID : 1
    Codec ID/Hint : Microsoft
    Duration : 35s 255ms
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 1 411.2 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
    Resolution : 16 bits
    Stream size : 5.93 MiB (86%)
    Interleave, duration : 251 ms (3.77 video frames)
    Interleave, preload duration : 500 ms
    i watched the video, what is the "looks like crap" part. there were 2 different looking parts one taller the other sharper looking. what was i supposed to notice?
    The sharper looking part is the "looks like crap" part. You may notice the walking creature "disappearing" like a phantom. That's not supposed to happen.

a couple thing to try. in file/properties put final rendering quality to best. also the sony avc encoder option gives me better quality than the m.c. one.
    Okay, I'll give it a shot.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sony Vegas is only doing what you told it. The first video segment is all wrong for aspect ratio. The second is apparently correct AR, but something else was wrong in your settings. It looks like you're just selecting templates that are not correct for your project.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  10. Smurf and Mini are right. Also your framerate doesnt match (15fps input vs. 30fps in vegas). Vegas will interploate more frames by blending past and previous. So it will become a mess, and this may be contributing to the disappearing objects.

I would capture with something better than xvid at 165kbps. Your audio is uncompressed and is 8x the size of the video... When you re-encode with a lossy export format the video will lose quality at each stage. Garbage in = worse Garbage out

Your export settings are low quality too. You are reducing the resolution by 1/2, and using one of the lower quality export profiles: "baseline".
    Quote Quote