VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. If I understand correctly, you couldn't load the MOD file so you converted it to MP4 before importing it. Your original.mp4 file contains interlaced frames but it's encoded progressive -- so the editor handled it as progressive, simply duplicating frames from 29.97 fps to 59.94 fps.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post

fyi, Magix Vegas , old versions 8.0c or Vegas 10.0( so at that time Sony Vegas) loaded your example, but interpreted footage as 4:3, it needed to be corrected to 16:9 within Vegas (right click a clip/media/Pixel Aspect ratio change to widescreen DV), which would be tedious to fix in every clip (maybe there is a script for that), so testing updated Premiere would be a good idea.
    You can group select a bunch of clips (e.g. hold shift) and interpret AR of all of them at once
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    If I understand correctly, you couldn't load the MOD file so you converted it to MP4 before importing it. Your original.mp4 file contains interlaced frames but it's encoded progressive -- so the editor handled it as progressive, simply duplicating frames from 29.97 fps to 59.94 fps.
    Yup, that would explain it!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Premiere Pro CC 2017 is accepting the original files & the transport streams. But it's importing them as 540x480 and I see no way to interpret the footage to the correct size
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by nicholasserra View Post
    Premiere Pro CC 2017 is accepting the original files & the transport streams. But it's importing them as 540x480 and I see no way to interpret the footage to the correct size
    right click clip (or clips) in the clip bin => modify => interpret footage => pixel aspect ratio => conform to dv ntsc widescreen 16:9
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by nicholasserra View Post
    Premiere Pro CC 2017 is accepting the original files & the transport streams. But it's importing them as 540x480 and I see no way to interpret the footage to the correct size
    right click clip (or clips) in the clip bin => modify => interpret footage => pixel aspect ratio => conform to dv ntsc widescreen 16:9
    In this instance the aspect ratio isn't the issue. It's importing to the wrong frame size from the start. Can't modify that in the interpret footage dialog. There's gotta be something seriously wrong with my mpeg codecs on both my Mac and PC. Upgrading my mac premiere now. We'll see where that goes.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The reason for the crazy AR is there is a sequence extension specifying 540x480 (if you open the original MOD file with gspot you can see it)

You can strip the extension with programs like restream, but it's not necessary since PP will ignore it if you import the MOD natively and override the AR by interpreting

Are you saying the MOD isn't 720x480 16:9 after interpreting ? It works here. That's why the 59.94 MP4 export worked
    Quote Quote  
  8. Are you sure you're using the correct sequence settings ?

Use the native MOD files. After you've interpreted the clip(s) just right click => new sequence from clip and it will generate a sequence matching the characteristics of the clip
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Are you sure you're using the correct sequence settings ?

Use the native MOD files. After you've interpreted the clip(s) just right click => new sequence from clip and it will generate a sequence matching the characteristics of the clip

I'm saying that I have no option to interpret the clip as 720x480. It's stuck on 540x480. It's incorrect before I even make a sequence out of it. Even after updating the AR to widescreen, still cut off.

BUT I just updated my mac to CC 2017 and it was able to open the MOD file, interpret to widescreen, and use successfully.

What a nightmare!

Gonna walk away from this for a while. Will try to render out a sequence later and report back :P
    Quote Quote  
  10. I see why Premiere has problems with the video. It's 720x480 and flagged 4:3 DAR. But it has a sequence_display_extension indicating that 4:3 image is in a 540x480 portion of the frame -- meaning the full frame is 16:9. This isn't used a lot and many programs don't deal properly with it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I see why Premiere has problems with the video. It's 720x480 and flagged 4:3 DAR. But it has a sequence_display_extension indicating that 4:3 image is in a 540x480 portion of the frame -- meaning the full frame is 16:9. This isn't used a lot and many programs don't deal properly with it.
    What a mess

But I think I have it all working. Here's a sample of a render. 720x480 widescreen, 59.94, progressive:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0h5rgusyevza9sy/finalsample.mp4?dl=0

It's a different clip, same camera though. Does this deinterlacing look correct?
    Quote Quote  
  12. It's a simple bob but everything was done correctly. With such dark fuzzy material you won't notice the mediocre deinterlacing much.

Cool music. I wouldn't mind seeing more...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Yeah, just tossed it on youtube and that didn't help much either. Overall i'm okay with it. The band is awesome, here's a good song by them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkkVqaEZ_KM

And here's the full video I was working at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbO0FEdEPog

Thanks again to everyone who helped me sort this out! I'm upset that I wasn't able to get the audio sync issues sorted out when going to avisynth route. But as long as i'm able to get it working somewhere i'm okay with it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I have a question, I encoded a NTSC DVD and forgot to put "ColorMatrix(mode="rec.709->rec.601")" in the Avs script, I use x264 CLI, shall I repeat the process?
    Quote Quote  
  15. DVDs shouldn't use Rec.709 in the first place.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    DVDs shouldn't use Rec.709 in the first place.
    Ok, Thanks for reply
    Quote Quote