VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    Bought a waveform monitor/vectorscope for $50 off Craigslist. PDF attached for specs.

Noob question. I want to attempt to align an old JVC S-VHS, following this video. Can I use the waveform monitor to do this, or is a general-purpose oscilloscope required to display the RF Envelope signal?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Leader 5870 product sheet, clean 2.pdf  

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    i've never used it for that. but i think its possible... you have to interpret it different. waveform analyzer is for checking cameras and other video equipment if they passing video of proper singal and color timing and phase. he's checking the video signal out of the video head amp. wave form analyzer checking video at output connector. Different signals
    Last edited by locoeskimo; 27th Mar 2017 at 23:22. Reason: adding
    Quote Quote  
  3. Did this end up working out for you? If not, what did you end up doing?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Oscilloscope will be necessary as large part of circuitry in VCR is not TV like signal...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    A waveform monitor is restricted to the voltages and frequencies of a video signal. You may have to measure signals outside this range in other parts of the VCR circuitry and for this will need a general-purpose oscilloscope.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I didn't get very far, because I discovered this isn't a normal alignment error. Here is my comment and the reply.

Originally Posted by Me
    I've got a symptom that looks the same as your example here before alignment, but the degree of error changes every time that I Eject and then re-insert a tape. While checking this, it randomly played a tape perfectly, then was back to a partially-garbled image when I ejected and re-inserted the same tape. Any ideas what's going on? The VCR is a JVC HR-S5500U that I picked up.
    Originally Posted by 12voltvids
    It is probably one of the things I showed on the and other VJC videos I have done. The loose guide is a cause of intermittant alignment issues, and the capacitor in the PG pickup can cause the switching point to randomly appear in the picture and resembles an alignment error.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	The Fifth Element (alignment issue demo) good V1 - 2.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	41733Click image for larger version

Name:	The Fifth Element (alignment issue demo) bad V1 - 2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	41735Click image for larger version

Name:	The Fifth Element (alignment issue demo) good V1 - 1.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	41734Click image for larger version

Name:	The Fifth Element (alignment issue demo) bad V1 - 1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	321.9 KB
ID:	41736

I was shooting video of the VCR internals when I noticed this. I'd say these photos indicate that the guides didn't move at all between inserting the tape and then ejecting it. So it seems to be an electronic issue rather than mechanical; probably the capacitor failure he mentioned.

Name:	After insert 1.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	564.8 KB
ID:	41731Click image for larger version

Name:	Before insert 1.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	576.2 KB
ID:	41732

In the one 37-minute capture I made while playback was working, I didn't like the picture quality anyway. It has the same "dark trailing" to the right of brights as my JVC HM-DH5U, visible on the "N" in the screenshot. So I may just end up dropping this off to 12voltvids and he can make a video repairing it, if he chooses.

Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    A waveform monitor is restricted to the voltages and frequencies of a video signal.
    I have no idea what the electrical properties of the RF signal from the test point are. I haven't seen a service manual that describes that. I did get a display on the WFM that looked similar to the oscilloscope view. But since there is no capability for adding a trigger (in this case the head switch / HSW test point) it is constantly rolling horizontally. The WFM sweep has to be set to 2-field mode, so the 30Hz flickering, rolling display isn't very nice to look at.
    Last edited by Brad; 28th May 2017 at 12:00. Reason: 30 not 60
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I saw a video by 12voltvids where he had a similar problem on a JVC HR-s3910 .
    He solved it by removing the flat ribbon cable from the control head from both ends and reseated it.

His theory was there was one or more poor contacts and the sync pulses were sporadic

If I remember correctly, he also put a small drop of DeoxiT on the ends of the ribbon cable.
    Be careful if you try that, it may undermine the cable and the metal figers may part company
    with the backing plastic (I've seen this happen)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The recent one? I don't think the symptom is the same. He was getting intermittent picture. Mine was 100% stable during the 37-minute capture where it happened to play nicely. When it appears misaligned, it also seems to be stable in terms of where the garbage on-screen, with the exception of when it jumps around or flips from top to bottom due to failure of the video decoder to lock VSYNC (display side, not playback side).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    The recent one? I don't think the symptom is the same. He was getting intermittent picture. Mine was 100% stable during the 37-minute capture where it happened to play nicely. When it appears misaligned, it also seems to be stable in terms of where the garbage on-screen, with the exception of when it jumps around or flips from top to bottom due to failure of the video decoder to lock VSYNC (display side, not playback side).
    Yes that's the one, sorry to hear it may no be relevant. I've seen similar problems helped either by the cable issue
    or by careful cleaning of the control head. But I'm not a professional repair guy so my understanding is limited.

Doesn't the automatic tracking try to kick in when the noise bars appear on the picture? Seems your theory
    is correct, a mechanical issue.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    I haven't seen a service manual that describes that. I did get a display on the WFM that looked similar to the oscilloscope view.
    In true SM waveforms and ways how to verify correctness are clearly described, also proper stimulus (signal source) is required (and described).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    I said my theory is electronic issue.

There is an indicator on the front panel when the "DIGITAL AV TRACKING" is engaged, but I haven't seen it visibly searching, so I think it finds a lock immediately. Messing with the manual tracking just screws up the part of the image that isn't already grey.

Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    I haven't seen a service manual that describes that. I did get a display on the WFM that looked similar to the oscilloscope view.
    In true SM waveforms and ways how to verify correctness are clearly described, also proper stimulus (signal source) is required (and described).
    Here is the page from the JVC HR-S5500E service manual that I found online, since I couldn't find a free source for the US version and I'm not interested enough to buy it. The only numbers provided are ratios.

Name:	JVC HR-S5500E service manual, section 1.PNG
Views:	263
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	41738
    Last edited by Brad; 28th May 2017 at 13:36.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks for the feedback, I was actually just looking to buy a scope for aligning VCRs myself rather than ship them out to have someone do it for $100 a pop.

Any recommendations on scopes?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Datasheet for IC's are your friend - voltages are usually provided there - i can assume that same IC will share large part of SM between different models...
    Quote Quote  
  14. Don't know what any of that means to be honest. Planning to use it on AG1980s that show a 35mhz minimum for measurement according to the service manual.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    I'd say these photos indicate that the guides didn't move at all between inserting the tape and then ejecting it.
    What counts is the position when the tape is loaded. It takes only a minute change to screw up the picture. Make sure those guides with the slant poles have no up-and-down play and that they travel all the way to the stops when the tape is loaded.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    What counts is the position when the tape is loaded. It takes only a minute change to screw up the picture. Make sure those guides with the slant poles have no up-and-down play and that they travel all the way to the stops when the tape is loaded.
    Hmm, fair point. Unfortunately the mainboard covers the loaded position of the guides. I'm not sure I'll ever get the thing back together if I disassemble that from the body.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Now, where is the fun in that? Chapter 1 of the service manual tells you how to pull it apart. Looks like just one screw to remove and then you can flip the video board out of the way.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Oh, I completely missed the fact that the black terminal board with the RCA/S-Video jacks is all one piece with the mainboard that pulls upward completely. I thought I would have to separate them and pull towards the front of the unit. That was simple indeed. Thanks.

EDIT: Eww.

Name:	20170528_162836 HR-S5500U mainboard.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	41750
    Last edited by Brad; 28th May 2017 at 18:33.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    Don't eat jelly doughnuts when you work on the VCR.

Seriously, where'd that gunk come from?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Oh. I assumed it was leaked electrolyte. I see now that the first Google result for "leaked electrolyte" quotes Wikipedia's capacitor plague article:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The leaked electrolyte can be confused with thick elastic glue sometimes used to secure the capacitors against shock. A dark brown or black crust up the side of a capacitor is invariably glue, not electrolyte. The glue itself is harmless.

Originally Posted by premiumcapture View Post
    I was actually just looking to buy a scope for aligning VCRs myself rather than ship them out to have someone do it for $100 a pop.

Any recommendations on scopes?
    Guess no one here has a suggestion. Did you see this DFAQ thread?
    Last edited by Brad; 29th May 2017 at 22:56.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    You can get a decent digital scope for $300-400 at Amazon. I wouldn't spend the big bucks on a Tektronix unless you're planning to make money with it.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I said my theory is electronic issue.
    Yes sorry, that's what comes from having only one eye on what you're doing, as I was surely guilty of.

Wish you luck on your project
    Quote Quote  
  23. Probably something like Rigol DS1054Z will be more than enough... of course you can buy some used decent HP/Agilent on ebay - if you live in US i would contact with this guy http://stores.ebay.com/watronics92/
    Quote Quote