VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am shooting scenes with high motion,would it be a good idea to shoot in 50p. My destination is DVD so are there any potential issues with doing this? I already have some 25p footage so I will be mixing the 25p and 50p on one 25p sequence within Premiere Pro.
    Quote Quote  
  2. There's no 50p in DVD. You can reinterlace the 50p portions to make them 25i without much difficulty. Or you can drop every other frame to make it 25p, but there goes the fluidity of motion of the original 50p.

I suppose you're making a PAL DVD even though Canada is an NTSC country?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    There's no 50p in DVD. You can reinterlace the 50p portions to make them 25i without much difficulty. Or you can drop every other frame to make it 25p, but there goes the fluidity of motion of the original 50p.

I suppose you're making a PAL DVD even though Canada is an NTSC country?
    Yes I am. So is there no point shooting in 50p if intended for DVD?

The reason I was considering it was because the scenes of high motion were a little difficult to watch due to blur. I've also tried increasing the shutter speed between 1/120 - 1/250 but I was warned against that.

In contrast to the main footage I shoot (which is with a Canon XA20) the footage from my GoPro is super smooth and records high motion fluidly in 25p which is easy to watch. This makes me think I have something set up wrong in my settings on my XA20 but I just don't know what else to try. thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by rosiestarr View Post
    Whenever it is possible you can and IMHO you should use 50p - later you can create any subformat at wish (so 25i where motion accuracy is exchangeable with spatial vertical resolution which is more or less natural human visual system characteristic or 25p where absolute spatial resolution is a key however i still some benefits for interlaced where those things are more or less done automatically).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You absolutely should shoot in 50p even though you have to interlace it to 25i for DVD.

This lets you edit in 50p and only as a last step before encoding you interlace it. Over 25p shooting this has the (imo vast) advantage of 50 fps motion while still not having to deal with interlace at any point except for the very making of the DVD. It's a win-win.

There are some quirks involved in making it look nice once it's downscaled and interlaced but there really isn't any reason not to do it.
    Last edited by Skiller; 19th Oct 2016 at 07:10.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Originally Posted by rosiestarr View Post
    Whenever it is possible you can and IMHO you should use 50p - later you can create any subformat at wish (so 25i where motion accuracy is exchangeable with spatial vertical resolution which is more or less natural human visual system characteristic or 25p where absolute spatial resolution is a key however i still some benefits for interlaced where those things are more or less done automatically).
    What would the motion be like dropping every other frame of 50p footage to make it 25p? Would the motion be exactly the same as if it was originally shot in 25p?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rosiestarr View Post
    What would the motion be like dropping every other frame of 50p footage to make it 25p? Would the motion be exactly the same as if it was originally shot in 25p?
    Probably be very similar if both videos had the same shutter speed (on both 50p and 25p settings), which is how long each frame is exposed to light. So frames that are exposed briefly give sharp images while longer exposures giving more of a blur effect in moving scenes. In movies with added CGI , they will actually recreate this bluring effect on the added CGI parts. Otherwise the sharp CGI animation would look out of place in the real world movie. Like the added CGI Dinosaurs in Jurassic park, they had a blurring effect added to them.

Your camera may change the shutter speed for different frame rates, which would make a the frames from a 50p look different from a 25p video even if you removed every other frame from the 50p video. I'm not a professional cameraman so I could be wrong.

https://vimeo.com/blog/post/frame-rate-vs-shutter-speed-setting-the-record-str
    Quote Quote