VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello, can somebody help me to get rid off the glitches and maybe bring in a bit sharpness?
    Thank you so much.

Here is the link to the video:

https://www.veed.io/view/67501001-99f5-4b37-90ce-d25960df8d62
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can use Spotless, KillerSpot, DeSpot, RemoveDirt and similar to get rid of some of the problems.
    Don't you have a less processed source for the video? (video seems to be already filtered, if you have a vhs tape or similar some of the folks here can surely suggest better ways to capture)
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    No, the tape is damaged.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Make sure you use the "edit" switch on your deck. It may have another name. If you are not sure, look at the manual for your VCR. You are looking for a switch or a menu setting which turns OFF all the "enhancement" features. These are artificial sharpening features which actually cause you to lose detail. The sharpening you may add using an AVISynth script will be far better and lose more detail than the hardware version.

The reason decks had these switch is to avoid permanently losing detail when you made a copy. Therefore, look in your manual for instructions on making copies.

Depending on your VCR, you may have some time base corrector (TBC) features. Try enabling those. You may also have features designed to improve tracking when capturing tapes recorded in the 6-hour EP mode.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    No chance, the tape is damaged now.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Ok it's damaged but things inside the VCR can help minimise it
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    No chance, to fix it with Avisynth-Scripts?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Are you saying that you no longer have the VHS tape? If so, I wish you had said that because I just wasted my time giving you advice in my previous post.

As to fixing what you have, Selur already gave you some good answers.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Sorry, yes, I no longer have it. But I asked for Avisynth..
    Quote Quote  
  10. No chance, to fix it with Avisynth-Scripts?
    depends on what you expect 'SpotLess(RadT=3,ThSAD=16000,BlkSz=16)' does help:

a bit, but with that source there is simply a lot already gone, with Vapoursynth (not Avisnth) SpotLess and BasicVSR++ (slow + requires relatively new NVIDIA card) you can rescue some more, but with such a strong compressed video don't expect much:

with enough motivation, knowledge scene based scripting in Avisynth or Vapoursynth one could probably do more, but if this is the best source I doubt the result is worth the effort. Depending on the importance and depending on what you want to do with the result, a request to the TV station (ARD I presume) might allow you to get better results. (they might still have some non-digitalized version of the episode)
    If that isn't an option or is simply unsuccessful, time might be better spent on looking whether the original tape can be rescued.

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  11. Selur mentioned RemoveDirt and Spotless. Both will help. You can search on those two terms, both in this forum and over at doom9.org and should be able to find AVISynth scripts to get you started. This is one I have lying around that is labeled: "VHS Tape Remove Dropouts Spots.avs". It is very crude, and I would do it differently now, but it should get you started.

For PAL video you will probably need to change AssumeBFF() to AssumeTFF().

[edit]You should also go to doom9.org and perform a search using these two terms:

VHS dropouts

You will get LOTS of scripts and ideas.

Code:
    loadplugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\RemoveDirtSSE2.dll")
    Loadplugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\Film Restoration\Script_and_Plugins\RemoveGrainSSE2.dll")  #Version 0.9         5/01/2005

source=AVISource("E:\fs.avi").KillAudio().converttoYV12(interlaced=true).AssumeBFF()

output=RemoveDirt(source)
    #stackhorizontal(source,output)
    return output

function RemoveDirt(clip input, bool "_grey", int "repmode") 
    {
        _grey=default(_grey, false)
    	repmode=default(repmode, 16)
    	clmode=17
    	clensed=Clense(input, grey=_grey, cache=4)
    	sbegin = ForwardClense(input, grey=_grey, cache=-1)
    	send = BackwardClense(input, grey=_grey, cache=-1)
    	alt=Repair(SCSelect(input, sbegin, send, clensed, debug=true), input, mode=repmode, modeU = _grey ? -1 : repmode ) 
    	restore=Repair(clensed, input, mode=repmode, modeU = _grey ? -1 : repmode)
    	corrected=RestoreMotionBlocks(clensed, restore, neighbour=input, alternative=alt, gmthreshold=70, dist=1, dmode=2, debug=false, noise=10, noisy=12, grey=_grey)
    	return RemoveGrain(corrected, mode=clmode, modeU = _grey ? -1 : clmode )
    }
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, thanks, it looks a bit better now.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you, John!
    Quote Quote