VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Any one have a chance to try it???

"
    Play DivX movies on TV with the Pixa DVOne DVD player
    Posted by Dan Bell on 11 January 2004 - 06:12 - Source: Business Wire

Pixa, Inc., is courting fans of downloaded movies that are stuck watching the compressed content on their computer monitor. The new DVOne DivX DVD Player DX-8020, is one of the first standalone DVD players capable of playing video files that have been burned onto CD or DVD with space-saving DivX/MPEG-4 technology.

With this $ 79 dollar U.S. hardware unit, you can plug in to a TV or Home Theater System and enjoy your downloaded material out there with family or friends with near-DVD quality. The new player also handles all standard DVD and CD media, including store-bought audio CDs, home-burned CD-R/RWs and MP3 audio files as well as DVD video, JPEG-based picture CDs, and TV shows or digital camcorder images stored on DVD+R/+RW or -R/-RW disc. DivX support extends to files encoded in DivX versions 3.11, 4.x and 5.x.

The inexpensive product also sports progressive scan DVD playback for extra-sharp resolution and picture quality. If that wasn't enough, DVD-Audio (yay!) to ensure accurate reproduction of sound effects with a full-range multi-channel sound field, and a built-in Dolby/DTS 5.1-channel system. It is compatible with NTSC, PAL and SECAM television standards.

The DVOne DivX DVD Player DX-8020 is internationally available direct from Pixa. An online store is under construction however, it appears you have to call to place an order. All necessary cables and a remote control are included.
    "

URL:
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8855
    Quote Quote  
  2. anyone knows what chipset this player is based on?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sounds like Mediatek MT1389, if it's offering DVD Audio support as well as all the rest - see this thread at Doom 9
    Webmaster of Area 450, the independent site for owners of Sampo and Maxent DVD products the world over
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, so no Xvid support? i'll pass
    Quote Quote  
  5. Great price! Hopefully we'll be seeing some news about firmware upgrades for XviD support which is a must-have IMHO.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hmm, I was interested and I figured if it did divx it'd do xvid, but oh well.. seems half the things I get these days are xvid, especially tv shows, so I guess I'll have to pass.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by clayts
    Sounds like Mediatek MT1389, if it's offering DVD Audio support as well as all the rest - see this thread at Doom 9
    Just got an email from PIXA confirming that their player uses MTK chip. Exciting! Now how do you guys know it does not play Xvid files?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well, i just read the press release thing at the top of this thread, and went with that..... it would be a real mistake on their part to exclude vxid.... now a days, thats pretty much the codec of choice for so many avi's floting around out there
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    im pretty sure it plays xvid.....why wouldnt it? They probably didnt mention xvid because most people who download movies (mostly p2p users) arent familiar with xvid (unless you are into the whole ripping, converting, etc scene) . Nevertheless, if it is true that it can't play xvid files, pixa is bound to have a firmware upgrade sooner or later. I'll just anxiously wait till february to get my hands on such a cheap priced divx/dvd player. Oh yeah.... i also like the fact that it plays dvd-a, as well as cdg (8010 model) for those fun karaoke times.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Just got a response from Pixa, don't expect their players until late February. Or they said, look for it at a major store in the 2d quarter of 2004.

Just when it was getting exciting, I have to wait over a month to get my hands on one!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yeah i called them last week, they told me the same thing. till feb. oh well....i can wait.
    Quote Quote  
  12. "Just got an email from PIXA confirming that their player uses MTK chip. Exciting! Now how do you guys know it does not play Xvid files?"

So since it's the MTK, does that mean it DOES play xvid? I'm still confused
    Quote Quote  
  13. Got a reply back from them.. I specifically asked if it'd play xvid and they said no.

Well, unless they change their tune, guess this one's not something I should bother with.
    Quote Quote  
  14. That does not make sense. Why would you exclude such a popular format as XVID? 98% of my movies are DIVX and maybe only 2% or even less is XVID but nevertheless, c'mon, you add all these fancy features, such as progressive scan, and dvd-audio, and you forget to include XVID? XVID is not a limitation of the MTK chip. That is disappointing
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They might be mistaken. I found a player that seems to be identical to the Pixa unit online...the manufacturer's site has no real info about it (though it does have firmware updates that may work in the Pixa unit, that could be verified later by someone that has this unit). Take a look at this, from "Woxter" ( www.woxter.com ):

Then compare how it looks to the Pixa:

and take a look at one website's info about the Woxter unit:

My guess is that this is the same unit, and is probably being sold under other names as well. If that's the case, it'll probably play XviD as well.
    Ethernet (n): something used to catch the etherbunny
    Quote Quote  
  16. Yeah, I'm not throwing away hope just yet, because more than likely it was a marketing person I got a reply from, and for all they know, xvid is as different than divx as quicktime is to realplayer.

I might just get the liteon 2002 if this thing's going to end up costing aorund the same after shipping anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Roundabout
    They might be mistaken. I found a player that seems to be identical to the Pixa unit online...the manufacturer's site has no real info about it (though it does have firmware updates that may work in the Pixa unit, that could be verified later by someone that has this unit). Take a look at this, from "Woxter" ( www.woxter.com ):

Then compare how it looks to the Pixa:

and take a look at one website's info about the Woxter unit:

My guess is that this is the same unit, and is probably being sold under other names as well. If that's the case, it'll probably play XviD as well.

I Cannot figure out from these pictures (or their site) which chip does Woxter use? We know that the new PIXA will use MTK chip. Do you think Woxter has MTK chip? ESS Vibrato? Sigma 8500?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have no idea which chip the Woxter uses, but if you want to know you could e-mail them and ask. Maybe a Google search would turn up something...I haven't tried that. You might want to give it a try and see what information is out there. I am pretty sure they are the same unit though, look at them and you can see they're identical. They're probably all made by the same Chinese or Taiwanese mfgr. and branded with whatever label the supplier wants, and resold under various brand names. That's why there's no website for Pixa, they aren't a manufacturer, exactly, only a private label name (like Kenmore for Sears). The PIXA appears to be a brand from a German electronics store I found online. They're selling TV's too, under that name.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    umm....pixa does have a website
    http://www.dvoneonline.com/index.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is the website of the reseller of whoever manufactures the product, not the actual company that makes this unit. They are only reselling it under their brand name. I had already looked at this site that you mentioned, but I should have been clearer when I said pixa doesn't have a website, what I should have said was the manufacturer doesn't have a website. We don't know (yet) who really makes this unit. Of course, if you ask them, they'll tell you they do...but they really don't.

Just so it's noted, even large companies like Sony resell other manufacturers products, esp. cordless telephones (made by Vtech) and in the past, cell phones (made by qualcomm). If you'd asked anyone they would have insisted they were made by Sony, after all, they had the Sony name on them and Sony provided tech support for them and sold them...but they weren't a Sony manufactured unit at all. We always had problems getting parts and information for these units, because they weren't designed or made in-house.

That appears to be the case with this unit also, and they don't indicate on their website if they intend to provide tech support and firmware upgrades or not, and until they do, you might want to steer clear of purchasing the product. There are a lot of Chinese and Taiwanese makers of this type of product (tons of them at CES) and they're all looking for distributors of any kind. You could actually do the same thing if you want to have your own brand name, you buy from these companies and just resell the product wherever you can, for whatever price you can get. When people start calling you for tech support and help, I hope you can speak Chinese when you call the factory for assistance...

A few years back I happen to meet a guy who was reselling PCI video cards and cameras made in Korea, and he had a small office in City of Industry (here in Calif). He struggled to get his brand name known, he was buying from Kasan Electronics in Korea and rebranding the products, but eventually he went out of business. If you had bought any product from him you were just out of luck. Most of these operations are run on a shoestring, and this "pixa" may be another one of those. Just a word of warning to the wise. Anyone can put up a website and call themselves a brand name. Caveat Emptor.
    Quote Quote