VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So I recorded DVD's with a LG LRA-850 DVD recorder. They play fine in the machine that recorded them, but if I play them in a different DVD player, the video will sometimes freeze and the player's time counter will stop too. The DVD will play well in my laptop. I am quite confused because it's an issue that happens only sometimes, not on a precise part of the video, and varies depending on the DVD player I use. I tried playing it in a Sony DVD player, a Sony Blu-ray player, and a PlayStation 3 and the problem will happen in all of those. What causes this? Is it because of the DVD recorder I use? I tried with a DVD-R and a DVD+RW and the problem occurs on both.

Is there a way to fix or to re-encode the DVD's content with the computer, and burn it again on another disc?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Copy the entire DVD by drag and drop to your computer and write it to a new DVD at slow speed.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Check the cable from the player to the TV. In case it is faulty, it can cause the player to freeze, looking like as if the player couldn't read the disc. If the DVD bitrate is too high, it can case the playback to get stuck. Also, a high bitrate DVD that is still in the potentially acceptable limit can cause the playback to freeze in case the disc is low quality or has some very minor scratches, that normally won't cause a problem at a lower bitrate. And as mentioned, writing speed more than 4x can be an issue.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mr Magnétoscope View Post
    So I recorded DVD's with a LG LRA-850 DVD recorder. They play fine in the machine that recorded them, but if I play them in a different DVD player, the video will sometimes freeze and the player's time counter will stop too. The DVD will play well in my laptop. I am quite confused because it's an issue that happens only sometimes, not on a precise part of the video, and varies depending on the DVD player I use. I tried playing it in a Sony DVD player, a Sony Blu-ray player, and a PlayStation 3 and the problem will happen in all of those. What causes this? Is it because of the DVD recorder I use? I tried with a DVD-R and a DVD+RW and the problem occurs on both.

Is there a way to fix or to re-encode the DVD's content with the computer, and burn it again on another disc?
    what brand of blank discs do you use ??
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This.

Either bad discs, only Verbatim AZO and Taiyo Yuden, both manufactured by CMC Magnetics are first tier now, or/and bad burner, which seems likely being that it the discs play okay on the recorder, but not your DVD player which is much more tolerant of errors than a PC drive.

A quick check of a quality burn is to look at the bottom of the disc. It should be a solid color in the burned area. If there are rings, that's an indication of a bad burn, likely because of buffer overflow because the burner couldn't keep up with the data feed.
    Quote Quote