VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So a bunch of my fantasy football buddies want to start catching the games at my place every Sunday. There is a TV in my family room but we want to set up a second viewing area in my backyard patio. I was told I would need to get an amplifier in order to split my HDMI signal to both TVs. I came across an Atlona amp (AT-HDDA-2) https://bzbexpress.com/HDMI-Amplifier-and-Splitters/

Anyone familiar with Atlona’s products? Is this even the right item to buy for my situation? Thanks for the input!
    Quote Quote  
  2. How long will the cable runs be? What resolution will you be using? Will both TVs accept the same resolution, color depth etc? If so, and the cable runs aren't too long, a simple $20 HDMI splitter will work.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The cable will run about 45 ft. I'll be using 1080p resolution, although I may upgrade to a 4K TV in the near future. I believe both TVs will accept the same resolution/color depth.

I'm a little hesitant to purchase those $20 splitters as I've heard some horror stories about them failing or burning up. I want a nice setup, especially for the TV in the patio, since this will be permanent. I want to be able to do it right the first time.
    Quote Quote  
  4. 45 feet is about the limit for an HDMI cable. You'll need a quality cable. Even with that 1080p60 might be a problem. A cheap splitter will be installed close to the video source so it doesn't matter if it fails. You just buy a new one. The more expensive ones will allow you to run different resolutions and color depths on each device (they include a full microcontroller, video frame buffer, resizing filters, etc.). The only problem I have with my cheap splitter is that the two devices I have hooked up prefer different resolutions (TV, recorder). So I have to make sure the TV powers up first (I only turn on the recorder when I want to use it).
    Last edited by jagabo; 20th Sep 2016 at 21:08.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use a HDMI cable similar to this with a 50 foot run to my projector. No problems. http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=6052
    Quote Quote  
  6. Same as redwudz - decent HDMI cable should be sufficient - search for cables marked as:

Premium High Speed HDMI Cable and Premium High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet
    are special certification designations for High Speed HDMI Cables that have been designed and certified for ultra-reliable performance for 4K and advanced features such as higher frame rates, HDR, expanded color spaces including BT.2020 colorimetry, 4:4:4 chroma sampling, and they are identified by the Premium HDMI Cable Certification Label.
    http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/finding_right_cable.aspx
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No, at that length, I would recommend Active HDMI cables, which still can be gotten for similar prices. The are known to come in 50, 60, 75 and 100 ft. lengths, maybe others.

Scott
    Quote Quote