VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,
    Basically the only DVD players with recording features that I see today in stores lack HDDs and instead use USB.
    Which fileformat do these typically record to? Also, are you only able to record to jumpdrives, or will portable USB HDDs (self powered? power source?) work as well?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by guy24s View Post
    Hello,
    Basically the only DVD players with recording features that I see today in stores lack HDDs and instead use USB.
    Which fileformat do these typically record to? Also, are you only able to record to jumpdrives, or will portable USB HDDs (self powered? power source?) work as well?
    Are you confusing a USB port meant for playback of video/audio files as a way to record?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are stand alone PVRs that will record ota to USB
    And there are hard ware capture devices that record to USB
    But DVD players do not record anything
    The USB input on 'players' is for playing files from a USB stick drive out external USB hard drive
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have seen several DVD players (don't remember if they specifically used the word "player" or "recorder") that said they have recording capability but don't mention anything about any HDD. I assumed they recorded to a USB stick but didn't know for sure. I guess the ones I saw recorded to an internal HDD but just didn't mention anything about a harddrive on the outside (as strange as that may sound).
    I guess I am referring to DVD players such as this one:
    http://www.lg.com/us/home-video/lg-DP122-dvd-player
    Last edited by guy24s; 28th Jul 2016 at 15:20.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mentally Deficient Mr.Delusional's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Lg has a dvd player that rips cd to a thumbdrive. The wording on it is "usb direct recording". It's nothing more than a cd ripper. Why this thing was made is beyond me.

http://www.lg.com/us/home-video/lg-DP132-dvd-player
    This film is presented in it's original 2.35:1 aspect ratio. The black bars at top and bottom are normal. (it's you that isn't normal)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    They don't "record" anything to either USB or HDD:
    LG's DP122 DVD Player with USB Direct Recording allows you to directly extract audio tracks from CDs and transfer them to a USB device. Insert a CD and make your own MP3 music file collection
    What you are describing does not exist.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/965565-REG/lg_electronics_dp122_multi_format_dvd_player.html
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If found the same recorder at Walmart in the US, LG DVD Player with USB Direct Recording (DP132). It can apparently record CD audio on USB from CDs, but the description says nothing about recording video files to USB.

The LG DP132 DVD Player makes it easy to watch DVDs, play CDs through your TV and play media from your USB device. It can also record from an audio CD directly to a USB drive. This DivX DVD player plays back many styles of disc, including DVD-ROM/DVD+/-R/RW and CD-R/RW.
    [Edit]OK I should have said "transfers CD audio to USB from CDs"
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 28th Jul 2016 at 16:45.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I see. Thanks for clearing it up for me.
    PS. Indeed that sounds like a pretty pointless feature.
    Quote Quote