VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just yesterday, my Windows 7 machine started acting odd. When I hit a key to bring it out of sleep mode, it sounds like it's waking up, but the screen doesn't come on. So I turn it off. Then wait a minute and turn it back on. When it boots, it runs chkdsk, which I figure is normal since I didn't properly shut it down. Everything seems fine. Go into windows, go about my work. Put it to sleep and the same thing happens next time. So I turn it off instead of putting it to sleep thinking something is wrong with the sleep feature. Next time I turn it on, there's that chkdsk screen again. Also I notice that when I start Chrome, all my extensions are gone, and two new ones are installed "search manager" and "utab" so I remove them immediately. Starting to research this, I looked up about chkdsk running at each boot and found this article:

http://www.hightechdad.com/2013/04/25/how-to-stop-chkdsk-from-running-on-every-boot-up/

When I ran the command, the response is "Volume - c: is Dirty"

So the article doesn't say what to do if it's Dirty, only what to do if it's not..

I ran malware bytes and came up with this (see attached). Removed everything it found, and going to reboot to see what happens. Is this "dirty" a common thing? What should be done?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Microsoft has a reply for that issue here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-update/upon-start-up-wind...f-aa5c9e8ca221

Although the link refers to XP, I believe that it applies to your Win 7 also.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, I managed to get these problems sorted, so far so good.
    Quote Quote