VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all.

Laptops do not have i/o expansion slots. So using your old pci or pci-e capture card is not possible. However, I kept all mine.

And, at first, i never knew they made such a thing, where you can connect your pci i/o or pci-e i/o cards to an laptop. But I had wished a vendor would make something like this. This wishful thinking dates back to around 2008 or so. I don't think there was such an idea then, let alone an actual device.

So, today, I was searching around for current usb capture cards to see what has improved or whatever, when all sudden I came across this unique device, below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121432821385
    (note, since this forum does not allow dircect links, you will need to highlight and select/copy and paste into your browser in order for link to work)

I have the following pci i/o cards:

Pinnacle Studio AV/DV pci
    hauppauge tv hvr-2250 pci-e
    winfast expert tv 2000 xp pci-e

I would love to try each of them with my Dell Inspiron laptop (it has usb2/3 ports)

Can someone tell me if this device will allow me to do that ?
    or, is there a device that can provide this feature for me on a laptop ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That link takes me to a ExpressCard 34 To 2 PCI-e Slots Adapter. You cannot use the device with a USB port. The description states "Must through express slot on your laptop, this is NOT a USB to PCI express adapter box."

ExpressCard slots haven't been common on laptops for several years. They are rare on new laptops.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks. i missed that statement not being what i want.

Is there anything out there for what I want do to ?

I saw thing link: http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/graphics-cards/how-to-make-an-exter...adaptor-915616
    but it does not give any links to the i/o card or cards i would need. Obviously i'm not making a graphics extender or replacement. Just replace that graphics card with a capture card. Same concept though.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    thanks. i missed that statement not being what i want.

Is there anything out there for what I want do to ?

I saw thing link: http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/graphics-cards/how-to-make-an-exter...adaptor-915616
    but it does not give any links to the i/o card or cards i would need. Obviously i'm not making a graphics extender or replacement. Just replace that graphics card with a capture card. Same concept though.
    No hardware details are given on that page. Some commenters mentioned an ExpressCard slot.

This article discusses using Thunderbolt ports, ExpressCard slots and Mini PCI-e slots inside the laptop for connecting an adapter board for the PCI-e graphics cards to a laptop: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2984716/laptop-computers/how-to-transform-your-laptop-i...hics-card.html

Thunderbolt is the closest thing to USB 3.0, but can function as a video connection. I don't know if it is an option for what you want to do, and Thunderbolt is hard to find, except on Macs.

To be honest I don't know of any adapter that will allow you to do what you want. Maybe you would be better of with a desktop or new USB devices.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure of all the necessary pieces, but it looks like the main piece (because its a laptop idea) is ExpressCard.

You can get an usb -to- expresscard from this link 1.

I would guess the the rest would connect, per the picture on the 2nd page of the main link 2 in that article you posted.

edit: here are some additional links I found that seem to show what I'm trying to do:

link 3
    link 4
    link 5
    link 6 - for PCI-e cards

But my next question will be, what expresscard should i get. This is assuming the usb2expresscard in { link 1 } idea will work.
    Last edited by vhelp; 20th Feb 2017 at 15:05.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    An ExpressCard would be provided with the adapter kits in link3, link4, link5, or link6. ...but your idea won't work. The connection between the circuit board containing the PCI or PCI-e slots and the ExpressCards for the devices in link3, link4, link5, and link6 is USB 3.0, not USB 2.0.

The adapter in link1 is "Compatible with all USB 2.0-Mode EXPRESSCARDS including many WLAN, WiMAX, 3G (HSDPA AND CDMA) and memory, storage media Express cards." The adapter kits in link3, link4, link5, and link6 are don't fit in any of those categories, and their ExpressCards are not USB 2.0.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok then. So I guess I have to get a laptop with an Expresscard slot in it.

At the moment this is an experiment, though mainly to see if the video has no line noise. anything with a PSU appears to add emi or other line noise and i'm trying to rule that out completely by going this experimental route with the laptop. I am basing the issue regarding the noise to the fact that when i capture any video on a laptop, there is no more noise. If I can find a method of bringing in an pci or pci-e i/o card to a laptop via this idea posted in those pics above (post # 5), I will be happy.

I would like to find a cheap used laptop for this idea, and am hoping to find something decent (that will work with the above method, post # 5) on ebay. I saw some for around $100 bucks but I could not tell if the ones I saw have expresscard's in them, let alone the one(s) recommended in post # 5. I assume there would be some recommended models for that idea.

Whats a good laptop that you or anyone else might remember with an expresscard, top of the line if possible? Hopefully no more than $200 dollars.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Docking station? Some of them (at least for Thinkpad) allow to use normal PCIe card.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't see one or one to show a pci slot. That would be interesting to see. Anyway. After some time researching and reviewing and thinking, I finally settled on an IBM Thinkpad T43 1.86Ghz 2gb ram win xp pro and even comes w/ off 2007 pro! hurray! Nice. For a $100 bucks on ebay. And I also picked up a fireware card (ebay) for it so i can finally test my canopus advc100 and pinnacle moviebox (DV) while i'm at it. I also ordered a few of those pieces for the pci. So now all I have to do is wait for all the parts to arrive and the fun begins.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Thinkpad T43 dates from 2005. Not many 12-year old laptops are still in good working order. If that one is, consider yourself very lucky.

I was looking for something a few years newer with a Sandy Bridge CPU. I guess I'll stop looking now.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 27th Feb 2017 at 16:51. Reason: Correction-- Sandy Bridge CPU, not Ivy Bridge CPU.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was looking for something a few years newer with an Ivy Bridge CPU. I guess I'll stop looking, now.
    Yes. I would have loved an i3'ish but I didn't know anything about the Expresscard or PCMCIA slot feature and didn't think there would be any for an up-to-date cpu like the i3, and I was afraid the expectations to be another $300 or more and not worth it for this idea/project. I also didn't want to fuss with a Windows XP/7 installation. I mean, who has serials and activation codes for old OS's that M$ no longer supports--not me! But this one comes with all that and more, so that's one big load and hassle off my mind. Now all I have to concern myself with is the hardware pieces for the experiment and whether or not it will work. I have plenty of 1TB usb hdd's, so that's another worry-less. Per the seller, the battery still holds the charge but I will be using the AC adapter anyway.

I also learned that they make mini-pci ports in laptops since 2005 I think, but that they are situated on the bottom and you have to know where it is let alone, awkwardly connect it, though now they do make a flexible "ribbon" for that. I'da probably gone that route if I knew that my dell inspiron laptop (model 5520) had one. But I don't know that answer. It probably doesn't. The point is, the project does include that port as well as the expresscard. I was just too lazy to do any research about it for the 5520.

For now, this experiment will focus on the PCI version. If it turns out successful, I may consider upgrading the specialty "parts" (post #5) to the PCI-e version.

Once I receive the laptop, I will let everyone following this know its condition.

And, thank you for trying to help this far. It is appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    I didn't see one or one to show a pci slot. That would be interesting to see.
    http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_Advanced_Dock
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was looking for something a few years newer with an Ivy Bridge CPU. I guess I'll stop looking, now.
    Yes. I would have loved an i3'ish but I didn't know anything about the Expresscard or PCMCIA slot feature and didn't think there would be any for an up-to-date cpu like the i3, and I was afraid the expectations to be another $300 or more and not worth it for this idea/project. I also didn't want to fuss with a Windows XP/7 installation. I mean, who has serials and activation codes for old OS's that M$ no longer supports--not me! But this one comes with all that and more, so that's one big load and hassle off my mind. Now all I have to concern myself with is the hardware pieces for the experiment and whether or not it will work. I have plenty of 1TB usb hdd's, so that's another worry-less. Per the seller, the battery still holds the charge but I will be using the AC adapter anyway.

I also learned that they make mini-pci ports in laptops since 2005 I think, but that they are situated on the bottom and you have to know where it is let alone, awkwardly connect it, though now they do make a flexible "ribbon" for that. I'da probably gone that route if I knew that my dell inspiron laptop (model 5520) had one. But I don't know that answer. It probably doesn't. The point is, the project does include that port as well as the expresscard. I was just too lazy to do any research about it for the 5520.

For now, this experiment will focus on the PCI version. If it turns out successful, I may consider upgrading the specialty "parts" (post #5) to the PCI-e version.

Once I receive the laptop, I will let everyone following this know its condition.

And, thank you for trying to help this far. It is appreciated.
    There are Dell Latitude E6420 laptops with SandyBridge i5 or i7 CPUs and ExpressCard 54mm up for sale or auction on ebay. ExpressCard was optional on this model, but for some ExpressCard is noted in the specs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Latitude-E6420-Notebook-Intel-Core-i7-2640M-2-80GHz-8GB-R...-/122361229589

The license number for the OS is sometimes provided on a sticker inside a hatch or somewhere on the case.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    nice find! excellent fallback option in case the thinkpad can't cut it. and it says it has an expresscard feature.. and firewire! i have such poor luck in bidding. $149 is the staring bid. i always shoot for the last 5 seconds but never win. not sure what to bid on that one though. if i say $150, someone will beat me with $151. thats been my luck in these biding games. someone probably knows the right sweet-spot price that wins the bid. but i'll give it a shot just in case. theory: if i knew the going rate for that particular laptop, maybe i would have a chance of winning. but my luck someone already knows and has their game-plan in motion. anyway, i'll post what happens. thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I bid on ebay, I just enter the maximum I'm willing to spend. I don't engage in a bidding war. If I don't win, tomorrow is another day, and what I want may appear again.

FWIW your present Dell 5520 laptop has a half-size Mini-Card slot for its WiFi card, but you have to pretty much take the laptop apart to get to it. I'm not sure whether another type of PCI-e card would be recognized if "installed" in that slot. I haven't looked into it. The specs noted it was possible to buy a configuration with an optional full-sized Mini-Card slot as well, but the user manual didn't show where to find it.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I think I'd be tempted to pick up/build a cheap 2nd hand desktop with PCI-E slots (maybe even do without a monitor and remote access from the laptop?), capture on that and (if you must) process on laptop. Seems to me that you'll be spending a lot of time & effort on something that may well not work. Good luck anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok. so i received the laptop. not bad, and in pretty good condition. works well. i also imaged it at its initial setup so i can restore back to it in case something happens or things get screwy.

but i now have another question. so it appears that the Thinkpad T43 has a full length, 54mm slot and not a 34mm. I have a couple of L-shaped 34mm expresscards, that go into it ok, though I do have to fuss with getting it in sometimes. however, inserting a full 54mm will not go in. it appears to stop about 1/2 way. i don't understand why may the slot 54mm, but that you can't actually insert a 54mm card. makes no sense.

so now i'm searching for a 54mm to 34mm (adaptor?) piece, but can't seem to find one. don't they make one? anyway. i search and finally found one, i think. but it doesn't specifically say it is a size converter, and the description says card reader. so i'm confused. is the bottom link the correct item that i need for the T43? or is there something else i should be searching for? or worse case scenario, maybe the T43 is jammed. i can't really tell since its too tight to get a good view.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/54-34mm-Express-Card-ExpressCard-CF-Reader-ExpressUSB-Card-Ada...p/291995576626

please let me know what anyone thinks. thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok. so i received the laptop. not bad, and in pretty good condition. works well. i also imaged it at its initial setup so i can restore back to it in case something happens or things get screwy.

but i now have another question. so it appears that the Thinkpad T43 has a full length, 54mm slot and not a 34mm. I have a couple of L-shaped 34mm expresscards, that go into it ok, though I do have to fuss with getting it in sometimes. however, inserting a full 54mm will not go in. it appears to stop about 1/2 way. i don't understand why may the slot 54mm, but that you can't actually insert a 54mm card. makes no sense. so now i'm searching for a 54mm to 34mm (adaptor?) piece, but can't seem to find one. don't they make one? anyway. i search and finally found one, i think. but it doesn't specifically say it is a size converter, and the description says card reader. so i'm confused. is the bottom link the correct item that i need for the T43? or is there something else i should be searching for? or worse case scenario, maybe the T43 is jammed. i can't really tell since its too tight to get a good view.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/54-34mm-Express-Card-ExpressCard-CF-Reader-ExpressUSB-Card-Ada...p/291995576626

please let me know what anyone thinks. thanks.
    Did you try using a flashlight when you looked inside the ExpressCard slot? It does seem as though something is blocking the way.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'm not familiar with these laptop features since it is from the old era.. speaking with respect to the pcmcia card slot feature. so i don't know if they made two size kinds. i have one of those L-shape expresscard for a capture card, like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AverMedia-ExpressCard-Digital-DVB-Hybrid-TV-Tuner-Video-Captur...-/121715417997

that goes in fine.

and i have another expresscard that is all 34mm long, but won't got in if i start pushing it as if it toward the right edge. i have to push it in, left-ward in order for it to go completely through and "click" in place. they all click in place once inserted correctly. then i get the audible "ding" sound that an i/o device was inserted. i'm starting to wonder if the guy that refurbished this laptop only had one of these (at the time of refurbishing the laptop) and use it as a replacement for a broken one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/StarTech-com-Dual-Profile-PCI-Express-to-34mm-and-54mm-Express...-/272547117801

and that that may be why it jams mid-way win inserting an 54mm? i'm not saying he used the exact item in the link, but that he probably used a replacement part that was only L-spaped? i don't know. just guessing. anyway. the laptop is at home, so i can't check it at the moment.
    Last edited by vhelp; 6th Mar 2017 at 13:31.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    oh, forgot to mention. around the expresscard slot, right side area, there are these two blue prong-like tips that are springy. they are always inside but they appear to be able to pop out somehow.

what are they for ?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i'm not familiar with these laptop features since it is from the old era.. speaking with respect to the pcmcia card slot feature. so i don't know if they made two size kinds. i have one of those L-shape expresscard for a capture card, like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AverMedia-ExpressCard-Digital-DVB-Hybrid-TV-Tuner-Video-Captur...-/121715417997

that goes in fine.

and i have another expresscard that is all 34mm long, but won't got in if i start pushing it as if it toward the right edge. i have to push it in, left-ward in order for it to go completely through and "click" in place. they all click in place once inserted correctly. then i get the audible "ding" sound that an i/o device was inserted. i'm starting to wonder if the guy that refurbished this laptop only had one of these (at the time of refurbishing the laptop) and use it as a replacement for a broken one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/StarTech-com-Dual-Profile-PCI-Express-to-34mm-and-54mm-Express...-/272547117801

and that that may be why it jams mid-way win inserting an 54mm? i'm not saying he used the exact item in the link, but that he probably used a replacement part that was only L-spaped? i don't know. just guessing. anyway. the laptop is at home, so i can't check it at the moment.
    To be honest, I have never used a laptop with an ExpressCard slot, but as I recall the L-shaped cards have a wider section to provide added stability when they are inserted in a 54 mm slot.

The adapter you linked to http://www.ebay.com/itm/StarTech-com-Dual-Profile-PCI-Express-to-34mm-and-54mm-Express...-/272547117801 allows ExpressCards to be used in a desktop PC. It would not be used as a replacement part to refurbish a laptop.

[Edit]Yes, the L-shaped cards are 54 mm (as you can see from the adapter, the interior of the slot has the same profile) and the straight cards are 34mm. 34mm cards always have to be inserted into the left side of the slot. Stabilizers may be purchased for the 34mm cards if they won't seat securely. https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Slot-Extension/ExpressCard-34mm-to-54mm-Stabil...ack~ECBRACKET2
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 6th Mar 2017 at 14:52.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oh, forgot to mention. around the expresscard slot, right side area, there are these two blue prong-like tips that are springy. they are always inside but they appear to be able to pop out somehow.

what are they for ?
    My guess is that they help to secure/stabilize a 54mm ExpressCard in the slot.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 6th Mar 2017 at 14:49.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i solved the pcimcia 54mm vs. 34mm issue for this part of the project.

after reviewing closely, it turns out that the T43 is a double-pcmcia port in one. the top is the 34mm and the 54mm is the lower. its divided with a lip or separator inside the drawer. and the reason i was having trouble inserting some of the cards is because of that separator--i kept hitting it. i just have to be careful and insert in a down-ward motion for the 54mm cards and left-up-ward motion for the 34mm cards.
    Quote Quote