VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Years ago a friend told me to buy this desktop pc HP Pavilion Slimline s3300f PC because it has a 2nd monitor output that is SVHS which plugs into my Toshiba DVD recorder, so ANYTHING i see online I can record and OWN the copy to DVD+R.Is that common to anyone out there. thanks Mike MikeThomas1954@aol.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just copy the DVD with the computer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So have you actually tried this ?

Methinks you confuse svga which is a valid PC output to SVHS which is not. Some video cards do have 'tv output' but I do not recall these ever being SVHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, many graphics cards used to have composite or s-video outputs (and some still do) that could mirror the Desktop, or be used as a secondary display. Some even had a "theater mode" which displayed only the contents of a video player window. That was also contingent on Windows' and the driver's support for the features. I don't know if modern drivers apply the CGMS-A signal to the composite/s-video output that would stop a DVD recorder from recording copy protected content.

And don't forget, composite/s-video is far less resolution than modern HD video. The output was also often less than perfect given that computers are normally progressive and TV signals are interlaced. You would often get tearing, letterboxing, poor scaling, etc. at the SD output.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pre-built PCs with S-Video out are non-existent today and even if you were lucky enough find and successfully install an old video card with S-Video out in a recent desktop PC, the quality provided by their S-video connection is poor. Also, much of what you might want to record requires an HDCP-compliant digital connection. No analog connection will work for these sources, not even VGA.

You might be able to use an HDMI to S-video converter. This is one example: https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Composite-Converter-Include-Adapter/dp/B00LK95VNQ/ref=sr...ideo+converter

However, many of these converters provide don't provide good quality analog output. They often have the same problems that jagabo wrote about.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 18th Dec 2016 at 13:59.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    yes of course copy on the pc,but we first have to get the first DVD that worth copying
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    So have you actually tried this ?

Methinks you confuse svga which is a valid PC output to SVHS which is not. Some video cards do have 'tv output' but I do not recall these ever being SVHS
    Yes its Svideo the picture quality is very worth owning a copy of, what we see online today ,will not be there forever.I had an ATT DVR with uverse TV from ATT, I was recording ABC new because I adore Diane Sawyer,when I tried to copy the ABC news show from DVR to DVD the screen went black and said "you are not authorized to copy or record this program" so I made some changes and I was able to copy it to DVD, on one story the reporter misspoke the last 2 words,he put down the note ,his memory played a trick on him ,he ment to say " sexual preference" but SAID "sexual performance" instead and ABC news showed no awareness of having made that mistake,,,extremely funny. There is no mention of this mistake on the internet and the comedians did not pick up on this,I may be the only owner of a copy.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Pre-built PCs with S-Video out are non-existent today and even if you were lucky enough find and successfully install an old video card with S-Video out in a recent desktop PC, the quality provided by their S-video connection is poor. Also, much of what you might want to record requires an HDCP-compliant digital connection. No analog connection will work for these sources, not even VGA.

You might be able to use an HDMI to S-video converter. This is one example: https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Composite-Converter-Include-Adapter/dp/B00LK95VNQ/ref=sr...ideo+converter

However, many of these converters provide don't provide good quality analog output. They often have the same problems that jagabo wrote about.
    My many many svhs recording to DVD from anything I can see online have never been stopped or given any problem at all,its 480 i resolution,very watchable. Today we hear lots of talk about quality of the picture, who is talking about the quality of the program?? HDMI often contains HDCP which means it cannot be recorded,we are loosing our chance to OWN a copy for the cost of a blank DVD or CD. .50 cents for 2 hours to add to your private library is the point.
    Quote Quote  
  9. You can buy an HDMI splitter that removes HDCP for US$20. Then you can record HDMI. For example:

https://www.amazon.com/BG-520-splitter-switcher-XBOX360-Blu-ray/dp/B0089DSLMY/
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mikethomas1954 View Post

My many many svhs recording to DVD from anything I can see online have never been stopped or given any problem at all,its 480 i resolution,very watchable. Today we hear lots of talk about quality of the picture, who is talking about the quality of the program?? HDMI often contains HDCP which means it cannot be recorded,we are loosing our chance to OWN a copy for the cost of a blank DVD or CD. .50 cents for 2 hours to add to your private library is the point.
    I see... You don't want help. You are here to educate us.

My recording needs are well covered, thanks. I still use a DVD recorder with a digital tuner for convenience when recording a few programs broadcast in standard definition on one local over-the-air channel, but that is all I want to use it for these days. I have better methods available to me for recording from over-the-air broadcast TV, cable TV, Internet sources, and even from HDMI.

You should think seriously about moving on. DVD recorders are nearly extinct and the S-video connection has largely faded away as well.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Dec 2016 at 00:18.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    yes of course copy on the pc,but we first have to get the first DVD that worth copying

OH I see.....I read your original post wrong.
    Still.....what looks good on a computer usually turns out like crap when shown on a full sized TV.
    Just blow up most YouTube videos to Full Screen on your computer and see what I mean.
    Everything looks great when it's the size of a postage stamp(compared to your television).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I am glad to read that this works for you (Addr to the OP)

Over this side of the pond, we have an expression. This really is an 'Heath Robinson' method to achieving your recording goal.

And I must side with people on here that do know more than me that whilst 480i is the dvd standard - you could never get more under this method, you will still be choked by the initial video quality. And if it does look 'OK' for you that might be down to either the type/size of your display or the recorder which might even,at a guess, be upscaling.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM

I see... You don't want help. You are here to educate us.

My recording needs are well covered, thanks. I still use a DVD recorder with a digital tuner for convenience when recording a few programs broadcast in standard definition on one local over-the-air channel, but that is all I want to use it for these days. I have better methods available to me for recording from over-the-air broadcast TV, cable TV, Internet sources, and even from HDMI.

You should think seriously about moving on. DVD recorders are nearly extinct and the S-video connection has largely faded away as well.
    Thanks , no i do want help ,the only info I have to share are my direct experiences,its the software in general I fail to learn how to use, ISOBuster was the last software I bought,and Ive never been successful using it in any way. What do you usually record with or to? thanks Mike
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Gee.

And I thought this forum was called 'Video Help' and not 'Shared Memories'

I looked up your 'PC' and it is not a PC in the basic sense. It is more a Media PC and a 7 or 8 year old one at that and somewhat under-powered by today's standards. And it does up-scale DVD playback.

PS: I found isobuster one of the easiest programs I ever used. And I am no spring chicken.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks , no i do want help ,the only info I have to share are my direct experiences,its the software in general I fail to learn how to use, ISOBuster was the last software I bought,and Ive never been successful using it in any way. What do you usually record with or to? thanks Mike
    I don't need to do it often, but when I want to save Internet video, I download the video using software written specifically for that purpose. Other people use screen recording software to save Internet video. ...but since you are allergic to software, neither method would suit you.

There are stand-alone HDMI capture devices which could work for recording the HDMI output from a set-top box or a PC's video card. Some require a splitter that strips HDCP (like the one jagabo wrote about), but there are Chinese stand-alone capture devices which supposedly ignore HDCP and don't need a splitter.

Stand-alone HDMI capture devices typically record to an external hard drive, or a USB flash drive, depending on the device. You would probably want to use a PC and editing software to edit the recordings.

Note that these free-standing models can only record video up to 720p resolution at 60 frames per second. They are not ideal choices for recording the 1080p60 output from a video card. They will discard every other frame to produce 1080p30 video, which would be less smooth than the original.

Could you simply copy these recordings to a DVD and play them with a DVD recorder? No. Could you simply copy these recordings to a BD-R and play them with a newer Blu-ray player? Possibly. You would need a Blu-ray player that plays media files, and you would need to check the manual to see if it plays video with the same characteristics as the capture device's files.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Dec 2016 at 12:56.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Over this side of the pond, we have an expression. This really is an 'Heath Robinson' method to achieving your recording goal.
    On this side of the Atlantic we have Rube Goldberg.
    Quote Quote