VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hello videohelp forum users,

i have really tried hard to find a way to demonstrate what my problem is and have gone through
    testing and testing and making screenshots and even uploading an according video sequence before
    and after my work that i need. for the forums i tried to find an example video in a "small" size
    for demonstration but the smaller they get, the less options you get of what kind of file you can
    have and i only use this kind as here in the demonstration. all my videos are fully legal recordings
    of tv-stations that is done by some website (onlinetvrecorder.com) and there i download my recorded
    programs a few days later and then cut them to exclude the commercial breaks. just for the sake of
    understanding what i am doing or what i would like to do.

i warn readers of the following:

1) the uploads will not be there for longer than necessary
    2) the videofiles are 258MB and 124MB in size.

the uncut original video (258MB)

the cut video after my edits (124MB)

now to my observations (problems):

i downloaded & unpacked virtualdub2 (build 44282)
    and am running and using a win10 64bit system

it is a 64 bit system, so lets use the 64-bit version of virtualdub2

[img]Name:  virtual-dub-2-64bit-001.PNG
Views: 267
Size:  6.8 KB[/img]

let us ope the file using the "Audio/video interleave input driver (internal):

Click image for larger version

Name:	virtual-dub-2-64bit-002.PNG
Views:	46
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	70899

and here we have our first error message:

Name:	virtual-dub-2-64bit-003.PNG
Views:	47
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	70900

well ok, maybe other settings? so lets try "Caching input driver":

Name:	virtual-dub-2-64bit-004.PNG
Views:	43
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	70901

hey, cool it works *amazed* and happy for now:

Name:  virtual-dub-2-64bit-005.PNG
Views: 265
Size:  106.9 KB

after cutting and file the way i want i would like to save the cut version, so i decide to
    use the obvious choice "Direct Stream Copy" for Video and for Audio. why do i chose that?
    well, i did not change anything but just cut some stuff out, so i do not want the file to
    be altered besides i do not have a clue how the full processing really works and have no
    idea what codecs i need or any of that to let it run on my tv using a usb-stick.

but ... hooray, here is the next error message:

Name:	virtual-dub-2-64bit-006.PNG
Views:	46
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	70903

i just spent like 20 minutes cutting and now it does not save my progress.

well, now what? - okay, let us try the 32-bit version instead:

Name:  virtual-dub-2-32bit-001.PNG
Views: 266
Size:  6.9 KB

again the "Caching input driver":

Name:	virtual-dub-2-32bit-002.PNG
Views:	44
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	70905

it opens fine, i cut and ready to save and the next error:

Name:  virtual-dub-2-32bit-003.PNG
Views: 273
Size:  5.3 KB

so let me try yet again with "Audio/video interleave input driver (internal)":

[img]Click image for larger version

Name:	virtual-dub-2-32bit-004.PNG
Views:	44
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	70907[/img]

it opens the file with an error message:

Name:	virtual-dub-2-32bit-005.PNG
Views:	42
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	70908

well, i spend the time yet again and cut and save with the direct stream copy and
    success. it works.

so now to my issues:

obviously some codecs or plugins or whatever is missing because it should really work
    equally in both 32bit and in 64bit, right?

now, i do not have a clue how to install codecs into virtualdub2 or how to tell
    virtualdub2 how to even use plugins/codecs or whatever. basically i am looking for
    a way to open the file, cut the file and save the file.

i would not mind using a full processing mode if the result is not larger than
    the original file and if the result will play on my tv using my usb-stick. oddly
    my tv will play some mp4 but not all mp4 i guess the codecs are more complex.
    it will not play mkv at all but usually will play avi files. it is quite frustrating
    at times.

maybe anyone would like to help here a little?

ps: i work at odd times and such i can not always react quickly. it can be fast but
    it can also take a few days, it depends on the amount of work. so please be patient.
    it may not show the images, then i might have to edit the post because it is just
    linked to another site for the images. sorry for that if that should be the case.

kind regards
    Last edited by roeselpi; 10th May 2023 at 01:53. Reason: images did not display
    Quote Quote  
  2. DX50 = DIVX 5 Or you can use the Xvid codec (an open source equivalent).

Your next problem: Direct Stream Copy can only cut on keyframes.
    Last edited by jagabo; 10th May 2023 at 08:01.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You are of course right, but there is a way around this:
    https://documentation.help/VirtualDub/p-smartrendering.html
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by roeselpi View Post
    obviously some codecs or plugins or whatever is missing because it should really work
    equally in both 32bit and in 64bit, right?

now, i do not have a clue how to install codecs into virtualdub2 or how to tell
    virtualdub2 how to even use plugins/codecs or whatever. basically i am looking for
    a way to open the file, cut the file and save the file.

https://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/
    But I would rather recompress to H264.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hello again,

right. now i have been trying things. i have successfully installed xvid codec and divx codec
    and now the files will open. great.

Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    You could also use avidemux for your cuttings.
    i have downloaded and installed that as well and there only seems to be the problem that
    it saved the file in the *.mkv extension and my tv will not play that. there probably is a
    work arround to that and i must say i quite like the program itself but i need the same
    output format. either *.avi or *.mp4 so, once that issue is solved, then i guess that would
    be my new goto program for that.

i did not check the keyframe issue here at all, so i do not know if avidemux could do exact
    cuts but i have not got the time at the moment to do this. maybe tonight or tomorrow.

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    to be honest, that never was a big problem for me. i just always cut the commercials out and
    if a keyframe is like 3 or 4 seconds before the program starts again never really bugged me
    much. mainly it is just to save the 5-10 minutes of commercials in germany. so i cut a program
    that had a total length of 3 hours down to 2 hours by cutting out the excess and the actual
    commercials.

so yeah, it is a quick and dirty solution but: it only takes like 5 minutes to go through 3 hours
    quickly and cut the commercials and excess out. if i was someone who was not just a hobby
    user then i might have to address this issue but as it is just to view recorded programs on my
    tv when i have the time it will suffice.

smart rendering like suggested by

Originally Posted by rgr
    ... but there is a way around this: ...
    sounds like something that might be a good alternative but i would have to know how to
    set virtualdub2 up for that and what codecs mean because:

[Attachment 70933 - Click to enlarge]

and

[Attachment 70934 - Click to enlarge]

does not really tell me anything about what file extension it would be and an if the compression
    would be good enough (small to fit on usb-stick for tv) and if my tv would be able to read it.

i know it would be a lot of work to read up about all that and to understand it. that is one of
    the reasons why the quick and dirty solution is okay for me.

but anyway: thanks for the help (so far) and take care

kind regards
    Quote Quote  
  6. In AviDemux you set the container type using the Output Format pulldown near the bottom left of the main window. The default is MKV Muxer.
    Quote Quote