VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, Now that I am having hdmi connection between cpu and pc.
    While the video I get is spectacularlyl clear due to the improvement of vga to hdmi, the sound I get is from analog speakers output.
    I have three jacks at the rear of the pc and now i plug in the green jack to get the sound output.
    I now find a new device named hdmi digital audio device in playback.
    I could enable it, but when I enable, the sond bar raises, but no sound comes from the speaker.
    In otherwords , the default speakers only get analog audio output.
    How do I enable the digital output sound from my speakers is the query.
    Should I change the audio jack to some other , other than the present 3.5 mm jack at the back
    Or should i change the jack position using some settings
    My sound manager realtek shows some menu, and digital audio also. But when I hover over there, there is something like s /pdif -out button, which i am not able to enable by clicking.
    what is the fix for this .
    I want to have the hdmi audio experience as well
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	digital audio thro pc speakers .jpg
Views:	39
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	58414  

Quote Quote  
  2. I am having hdmi connection between cpu and pc.
    That does not make sense.
    I have three jacks at the rear of the pc...
    those are analog connections
    I now find a new device named hdmi digital audio device in playback.
    I could enable it, but when I enable, the sond bar raises, but no sound comes from the speaker..
    When you enable this, the audio will be send via HDMI to the device connected to the the HDMI cable.
    In case your speakers are connected to that device and that device is configured to take the audio from the HDMI port and send it to the speakers, you should get sound from the speakers.
    In otherwords , the default speakers only get analog audio output.
    Yes, analog connections are only usable for analog audio.
    How do I enable the digital output sound from my speakers is the query.
    No clue, what your setup is. If your speakers have no build in receiver which does an digital to analog conversion and are connected to your HDMI port you can't.

Should I change the audio jack to some other , other than the present 3.5 mm jack at the back
    Or should i change the jack position using some settings
    What other audio jacks to you have? (all those 3.5mm jacks are for analog audio,..)
    My sound manager realtek shows some menu, and digital audio also. But when I hover over there, there is something like s /pdif -out button, which i am not able to enable by clicking.
    you might want to read up what S/PDIF is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF (you might not have a device connected to an s/pdif out or your mainboard might not have an s/pdif out to begin with).

I want to have the hdmi audio experience as well
    Then you would usually connect a receiver to your pc via HDMI, that receiver than is connected to a display and speakers and can split the audio and video signal and send the video to the display and the audio to the speakers.

-> all in all it sounds like you don't have the hardware to do what you want

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. This again?

When you use the green output on the back of your computer any digitial audio you play is converted to analog by the audio device on your motherboard and sent as analog audio to the speakers. So you're already getting "digital audio" from the speakers. When you select "hdmi digital audio device" as the default digital audio is sent to the HDMI port instead of the motherboard audio device. If the device connected to the HDMI port (computer monitor?) doesn't support audio you won't get any sound. If it does support audio (a TV?), and it's set up properly, it will convert the digital audio to analog and you will get sound from its speakers.
    Last edited by jagabo; 17th Apr 2021 at 06:33.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nice replies and now I understand, the whole thing about it.
    The clarifications I sought were answered neatly by both of you.
    thanks for the repliles
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not so sure you actually do.

ANY speaker is, fundamentally, analogue. The difference is NOT the source - since IMHO all audio that exists either on your PC or on a CD, DVD or Blu-ray, or even a muxed video is DIGITAL (only VHS or tape would be analogue - but the method of transfer.

Your sound card, as has been mentioned, is converting the digital source to an analogue output. And ALL speakers are, fundamentally, analogue. But there are speakers that will take a digital/optical (sp/dif) output to a appropriate input on them. They do not come cheap and reading the reviews they do not always supply what they promise.

Even digital output over hdmi is reliant on the receiving source. My hdmi monitor can receive audio over the connection. Yet the sound is vastly poorer, to my ears, than the pure analogue output to the 15+ years Sony stereo speakers.

So the issue here may simply here be the quality of your speakers (and your own hearing - and mine is certainly not good)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, DB thanks for your answer. My speaker is realtek two numbers stereo and I get good audio from both the speakers. Thanks for the explanation.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, Jagabo, and Selur,
    When I bought the pc, the speakers that was given to me is realtek speakers, as for as I knew. It is working fine.
    My Nvidia drivers contain both video and audio device drivers and i could see them in the Device Manager. I also have one Realtek High Definition audio drivers , probably that is onboard audo device drivers.
    I went to the bios and disabled the onboard audio, hoping to trigger the nvidia audio to function, but on doing that, my entire sound system got disabled and I do not know, why those nvidia audio drivers are not working.
    Nvidia audio drivers is the source of hdmi device, tv, audio device as could be seen from the playback tab shows.
    Realtek hd audio is shown as speakers, default speakers at that.
    When I disable q33 intel video drivers , the nvidia video drivers work.
    But
    When I disable the onboard audio realtek, nvidia does not seem to work, and I could not make it work.
    Why this ?
    How could I route the nvidia audio drivers to work.
    Ofcourse, Nvidia is not periodically updating the audio drivers, unlike realtek, which are releasing driver updates bi-monthly.

Name:	sound controller drivers.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	58474  

Last edited by jraju; 18th Apr 2021 at 08:03.
    Quote Quote  
  8. What makes you think the NV drivers are not working? The NV drivers will never send audio to the green TSSR plug on your motherboard. And disabling the onboard RealTek device you've disabled that output. Does the device connected to the NV card's HDMI output support audio? Does the graphics card have an S/PDIF (optical or coax) output? Do you have an audio device connected to it? Those are the only ways you'll get audio from the NV drivers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And to elaborate a little.

To get any audio from the hdmi-connected monitor I did have to invoke the appropriate setting in the Catalyst (Radeon) menu (or was it somewhere else ?). However, and this is the odd bit, looking at the app now it tells me that the monitor does not support audio (well I can assure you since I heard it with even my poor ears).

Whatever the reason I repeat that the sound was really poor and even powered 15+-year old Sony speakers blew it away.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Whatever the reason I repeat that the sound was really poor and even powered 15+-year old Sony speakers blew it away.
    The tiny little speakers in your monitor were likely responsible for the poor sound. If the HDMI port was connected to a A/V receiver with good speakers the sound would have been much better than your typical $20 computer speakers. Even connecting the motherboard TSSR output to an amp with good speakers will sound better than the speakers in a monitor or cheap computer speakers.
    Last edited by jagabo; 18th Apr 2021 at 10:53.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, Jagabo. Today, i heard about virtual audio cable , a software, which would act as both recording and playback device to work as virtual cables.
    I just downloaded it , do not know if it is trial or not, because, it does not pop up trial in my testing . Downloaded from majorgeek website and opened it and it shows the connector as line in and some basic parameters.
    I found the two plug icons of avc , one in playback and other in recording.
    But the problem is that it shows the jack information as plugged in to the front panel, which is not the case.
    can I change the jack to the real panel, where actually the speaker plug is plugged as you say, in the green jack hole.
    I disabled my onboard device with the hope that both video and audio devices are connected with nvidia.
    as you say, I do not have a s/pdif output, but a unpllugged device s/pdif is shown in recording tab.
    can I change the jack position from front to rrear to accomplish what I want

Name:	playback tab avc software.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	58488  

Click image for larger version

Name:	recording tab of avc listen tab.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	58489  

Quote Quote