VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

There is another very similar thread in this forum, but it's 17 years old. I need to create a DVD compliant mpeg file from a .mp4 file to then create a DVD with closed captions (SCC file) in DVDLab Pro. I need this to see how TVs decode some things that I can't see in CaptionMaker, for example.

I've downloaded the last version of DVDLab Pro and it runs in my Win10 PC. The old thread talked about using Virtualdub, whose last version I downloaded, too, and runs as well. I'd like to know if the exact method in that thread ( https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/92872-how-to-make-a-dvd-compliant-mpeg-file ) will work or if there is a better/easier method/software now, or if these won't work anymore even if they run.

Please, keep in mind that I'm interested in this method and software (no matter how old they are; they still run) because they are free. Any paid license will be too much for now.

Thank you very much in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just use avstovd and export to mpeg rather than folders, iso etc.

But creating a dvd-compliant mpeg from a mp4 is not an ideal workflow. Your source will already be compressed and probably not the correct dimensions. So you lose quality from the re-size and the re-encode.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Just use avstovd and export to mpeg rather than folders, iso etc.

But creating a dvd-compliant mpeg from a mp4 is not an ideal workflow. Your source will already be compressed and probably not the correct dimensions. So you lose quality from the re-size and the re-encode.
    Thank you very much for your response, DB83. Is it possible that this will affect the quality of the video to the extent of rendering the video unplayable? Honestly, I don't really need the video to have a great quality because what I need is the TV to display the captions; the video could look really bad and it will still work. Could that affect the displaying of the captions too? Considering an ideal workflow, what would be the best format to convert to mpeg from?

A question I forgot to ask, is it enough to just convert to mpeg or are there other considerations that need to be taken?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Avstodvd is quite 'smart' in the way it uses software, which with the knowledge you could do yourself, to make the compliant file. And without access to your source file it is impossible to give a firm answer. But the higher the bitrate, source size will obviously help. Put that simply, a 1920*1080 video with a 5mbps bitrate should give you a better visual-quality file than a 640*480 1mbps source.

Have you actually used DVDLab Pro before ? It is not really a program for a beginner. Ideally, video and audio should be separate demuxed files but DVDLab Pro will accept muxed compliant sources.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Avstodvd is quite 'smart' in the way it uses software, which with the knowledge you could do yourself, to make the compliant file. And without access to your source file it is impossible to give a firm answer. But the higher the bitrate, source size will obviously help. Put that simply, a 1920*1080 video with a 5mbps bitrate should give you a better visual-quality file than a 640*480 1mbps source.

Have you actually used DVDLab Pro before ? It is not really a program for a beginner. Ideally, video and audio should be separate demuxed files but DVDLab Pro will accept muxed compliant sources.
    Actually, I've never used it before, but I haven't found another way to create a DVD with closed captions. I'm using the quick tutorial and the tutorial found here in VideoHelp. Here it says it does de demux when you import the file https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/164508-DVDLab-Beginners-Compleat-Guide%21-Updated-1-30-05

I don't think I really need a menu or anything fancy, just the video with the captions. Do you think the those tutorials won't suffice?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I did not see anything in the guide for closed-captions. I guess this is only a feature of the Pro version.

Never created a dvd with them so I can not help you there.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did not see anything in the guide for closed-captions. I guess this is only a feature of the Pro version.

Never created a dvd with them so I can not help you there.
    Yes, the thing with the closed captions is in another guide, and it's pretty straightforward. I'll try with that guide. Do you happen to know any other tool to create DVDs with closed captions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry no. As I said, I have never authored such a disk so never had the desire to seek out such assistance.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry no. As I said, I have never authored such a disk so never had the desire to seek out such assistance.
    Thank you very much for your help. I'll convert with AVStoDVD.
    Quote Quote