VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello Guys, I'm new here.
    I've already tried searching for the answer for this but have no luck. I'm doing this project where there are 3 people talking in the video and I wanna let the next line appear below the current one and not above it (default). Is it possible to do this on Aegisub?
    Last edited by Skyflakes; 4th Nov 2021 at 19:19.
    Quote Quote  
  2. @videobruger Thanks for the reply. Which .ass tag is that? I'm sorry still a newb for this.
    The next line of subtitle always appears on top of the current one right? I need the next line to appear below the current one without having to always change it's position through dragging it. Is it possible with Aegisub?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, it is possible.

You want to have the vertical positioning set to top or middle, not bottom, and use the margins to push the subtitles down to where you want them to be but still high enough so that there is enough room for another line to appear below.

Edit: If you don't want to edit manually, that means ALL subtitles will be placed so that there is spare space below them.
    Last edited by Skiller; 4th Nov 2021 at 19:52.
    Quote Quote  
  4. @Skiller Thank you so much for the reply.
    I tried doing it and it worked but not really the way I want to because when the 3rd line appears it automatically appears above the 1st line right? so it will look like this,

3rd line
    1st line
    2nd line

I can again adjust the 1st line higher but If possible I don't want to always make the subtitle appear near the face of the speaker.
    So is there an option so that it will automatically appear below the current one and not above it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What you can do is position 1st line and 2nd line higher manually using {\pos(x,y)} command; then 3rd line will appear below the first two automatically, as long as you moved lines 1 and 2 far enough.

It would be the same \pos command each time, so it's just copy and paste once you've figured it out. You will have to find out the right Y-coordinate yourself because it depends on the video and font size. For centered subtitles, X is just the video's horizontal resolution divided by 2 (so 960 for a 1920x1080 video for example).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IMHO The whole concept is flawed.

A subtitle conveys as text the words of the person currently speaking. Rarely would one see two people speak at the same time since even that would not be audible (distinct)

A second line would be a continuity of the first - by the same speaker. And whist, as in reading a page, the new line would appear below the former the human eye is more respondent and immediately focuses on a different line even if it is not where one would naturally expect it to be,
    Quote Quote  
  7. @Skiller Thank you so much for this. I'm gonna try this asap.
    Thank you so much for the help guys, you're the best!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    A subtitle conveys as text the words of the person currently speaking. Rarely would one see two people speak at the same time since even that would not be audible (distinct)
    I think to too, DB83. But for some reason it is common practice in certain fansubbing scenes.

If two are persons speaking and the time to read would be very short I also like this style where the second line is the second speaker, indicated by an "en dash" or "em dash" (not a hyphen, too short). Both appear at the same time. For example:

Where is it?
    – Right here.
    Quote Quote