VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys,

I'd like to know if it is possible to capture user inputs from the remote controller and control the video itself in real time. Imagine the user pressing 'left' and then the video is panned (moved) to the left, so just a portion of the video is displayed, I need this. Can this be done?

Best regards,
    Caio

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Short answer ? Not in the way you are hoping for. The DVD spec does not allow for smooth panning around a large frame.

The best I can think of would be to use a series of motion menus, with buttons (that could be hidden) that represent, say, left/right/up/down, and if any of these are selected, automatically move to a new menu that has the footage for that direction as the background. This is how some games are written. However this does not really simulate true panning, and at some point, if nothing is pressed, the scene will end or loop. You can also do Button Over Video (BOV), which is similar but doesn't restrict you to menus, but all you can really do is branch to another clip.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    Short answer ? Not in the way you are hoping for. The DVD spec does not allow for smooth panning around a large frame.

The best I can think of would be to use a series of motion menus, with buttons (that could be hidden) that represent, say, left/right/up/down, and if any of these are selected, automatically move to a new menu that has the footage for that direction as the background. This is how some games are written. However this does not really simulate true panning, and at some point, if nothing is pressed, the scene will end or loop. You can also do Button Over Video (BOV), which is similar but doesn't restrict you to menus, but all you can really do is branch to another clip.
    Thanks for the reply.

Considering the way you mentioned, does it assure that when the user press left/right/up/down the movie that will be played in the motion menu will be at the same time the old one was?
    In my case I have four security cameras and suppose that a thief arrives in a certain moment and I want to look him in that very moment by switching between cameras, would this be possible?

Regards,
    Caio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you talking about DVD or a security camera DVR? Security camera DVR systems role all camera recordings in sync so you can switch between cameras on playback, or monitor all cameras on a video wall.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Are you talking about DVD or a security camera DVR? Security camera DVR systems role all camera recordings in sync so you can switch between cameras on playback, or monitor all cameras on a video wall.
    I'm talking about DVD.

I have 4 videos recorded at the same time and I want them to be swithed by the user when they play that DVD.
    Above I used a security example but it could be a sports one.

Suppose that I have a racing car which has 4 cameras on it and I want to switch among them while the DVD is played. Initially I thought about panning on them but that doesn't seem to be possible, guns1inger suggested me to use motion menus but I doubt if it is possible to switch between motion menus so when you get in some menu the frame which it starts is the same frame number (point in time) which the previous was, so the videos are synchronized.

Best regards,
    Caio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This would be angle selection, no?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This would be angle selection, no?
    Yes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So you want to remap angle selection to remote arrow keys?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So you want to remap angle selection to remote arrow keys?
    If remap angle selection is switch between the recorded footages in the same point in time, then the answer is yes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That is what it would be. Maybe others will know if this is an authoring possibility.

http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/term.cfm/angles
    Last edited by edDV; 14th Aug 2010 at 18:00.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it is possible it would take some scripting, so you would need a higher end authoring tool, and you would have to author all the angles into a single title. There are a number of caveats with authoring multi-angle titles, including bitrate limits, closed GOPs etc. Your authoring tool manual should cover these things.

As for mapping arrow buttons to angle changes . . . . .
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote