VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    If there's video that someone put up on Youtube but they didn't know to deinterlace it first and it has the resulting comb lines - is there a way to fix this if you only have access to the uploaded video?

I'm envisioning something that separates the video into fields and aligns those fields to get rid of the combing and turn it into proper progressive video.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Yes, but not 100 percent. Link?
    Last edited by jagabo; 12th Dec 2020 at 08:34.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Yes, but not 100 percent. Link?
    I'd have to find one but I'm sure you've seen video like that - where it's been uploaded interlaced. Surprisingly I see examples of it done by professional news organizations etc. where you'd think there'd be production people who would know to deinterlace it first.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, I've seen such videos. But different ones require different treatment depending on how much they've been resize, what resizing algorithm, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mdd-ASeCOc

Motorbike at 2:03 and various quick motion aeroplane passes?
    Quote Quote  
  6. That one was uploaded at 720x576 and resized by YouTube to 600x480. They don't have anything between 480 and 720 so it was downsized. The resizing screwed up the interlacing and it can't be fixed. brassplyer is in the US so that kind of screwup probably didn't happen. But there could be other kinds of screwups preventing a proper deinterlace or IVTC,
    Quote Quote  
  7. With one like that you can blur away the comb artifacts but you'll be left with blending and a blurrier picture. Blending looks a little better than comb artifacts but it's still not great.

Before and after Spline36Resize(width,288).Spline36Resize(width,hei ght) (zoomed in 4x with a PointResize):

[Attachment 56216 - Click to enlarge]

To alleviate the blurring of other parts of the frame I've used a mask to limit the blurring only to areas where comb artifacts appear.
    Quote Quote