VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone, I have a recent new problem. I update my entertainment center. I talking about new HDTV (RCA DLP), Sony 7.1 surround sys, and JVC DVR.
    I have use MTR and Popcorn before w/o any problem, on the MAC G5 and on the old entertainment sys. When I upgraded to the new sys some of the audio sound track is not working correctly. The sound fades in and out during the playing of a backup disc, but works on the MAC w/o any problems.
    The original works greats on the new sys. Any advise BTW I am using the latest MTR version. Thanks
    Jul 2003
    Search Comp PM
    I could just think of a settings problem.

Some DVD Players have a sound setting for late night viewing not to disturb the neighbors or the kids in your home. It compresses the overall dynamic range and/or raises the volume for center dialogs.

I am not sure whether the sound compression of this specific setting is the culprit, or maybe the way how you wired your new system.

What is different now? Was it RCA plugs before and now it is fiber optic?

Does the problem occur with AC3 sound or DTS sound or both? What about playing CDs?

I suggest to check audio settings first.

Cheers,

JoachimS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It might also be Popcorn somehow messing up the audio. One other user has mentioned that they are getting strange clicking and stuttering in the audio after using Popcorn (and that the problem only occurred on their set-top DVD player, and not when played on the Mac). You might try DVD2OneX instead.
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hello JoachimS and WiseWeasel, some of the wiring did change. I am no longer using RCA,instead I am using s-video and optic fiber. Also did tried DVD2OneX trail version. The DVD2 doesnot fade in and out. I just hate to spend some more money if I can get Popcorn to work. Any advise will be well come, Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could you check your digital sound settings (must be corresponding in receiver and player) and maybe try the RCA connection instead?

Did you choose the correct sound track (AC3 or DTS?). Sorry I cannot help any further with DTS as I currently don't have a DTS decoder in my receiver.

A word about transcoders like Popcorn and DVD2OneX:
    You can choose which sound tracks and languages you would like to include. All available trancoders do not touch the sound streams, they just shrink the video. As DTS takes much more space than AC3, I usually deselect DTS for my backups.

So please check the following:
    - DTS settings of all devices
    - Is DTS sound on your copies?
    - What will the DVD player do if no DTS sound is on the DVD? Could it be an AC3 to fiber optic problem?
    - Do CDs play OK?
    - What about downmix options of your DVD player?
    - Try RCA instead of fiber optic.

Please post your results.

Cheers,

JoachimS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need to go into your new dvd player setting and select the correct RAW or PCM.
    *New Mac user*, been PC user 4 life
    Quote Quote