VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a DVD Movie and I just wanted to Descrypt the VOB File and put it on My Hard Drive.

DVDShrink Says it can not.

So I know about MakeMKV but I do not want to Convert it to Say MP4. Format I just want to Decrypt the VOB File.

Does MakeMKV let You just Decrypt or must You Convert to another Format?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No conversion. MakeMKV keeps exact, same original quality.
    Quote Quote  
  3. As stated on videohelp: MakeMKV is your one-click solution to convert DVD, Blu-ray, UHD and AVCHD discs that you own into MKV. The only thing MakeMKV does - it remuxes/changes the video clips from the disk into a set of MKV files, preserving most information but not changing it in any way(no video and audio reconversion). The MKV format can store multiple video/audio tracks with all meta-information and preserve chapters. There are many players that can play MKV files nearly on all platforms. Decrypt complete Blu-rays and DVDs to HDD or stream directly to your network(UPnP). MakeMKV is FREE while in beta, get free MakeMKV key here. Full version costs $50.
    Quote Quote  
  4. OK so like DVD Decrypter left You with VOB Files MakeMKV will Leave You with MKV Files.

And just like My VOB Files are not Compressed the MKV Files are not Compressed.

So if it is not doing any Converting then why are they not as VOB Files?

DVDs have VOB Files on them.
    If I Look on Google it Says MakeMKV Converts to MP4?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by biferi View Post
    OK so like DVD Decrypter left You with VOB Files MakeMKV will Leave You with MKV Files.

And just like My VOB Files are not Compressed the MKV Files are not Compressed.

So if it is not doing any Converting then why are they not as VOB Files?

DVDs have VOB Files on them.
    If I Look on Google it Says MakeMKV Converts to MP4?
    MakeMKV does not covert at all. It just remuxes the data into the MKV -
    that's why it's called MAKE-MKV
    Quote Quote  
  6. What are the words you type in google?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Wrong, biferi.
    DVDs and their resulting VOB files ARE compressed (MPEG2 video and usually AC3 audio). You can tell because their bitrate is 1.5-9 Mbps, whereas if you actually had uncompressed, it would be 270 Mbps (for SD files, much more for HD or UHD).
    If you rip with MakeMKV, those too will be compressed the same way (MPEG2 video and usually AC3 audio).

MakeMKV only rips to MKV. Whatever Google search you did was mistaken.

And yes, if you are wanting to decrypt while ripping, DVDShrink cannot do that alone (if you have a live decryptor like AnyDVD running, then it would be no problem).
    DVDDecryptor can save to VOBs, raw streams, or an ISO.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    MakeMKV is the best solution for getting discs onto your hard drive without changing their quality....with one caveat....all individual streams become their own MKV file and you loose the ability to use the menu so you have to manually go through each file with your DVD in a player hooked to your TV and identify them one by one so you can properly name them. Not the end of the world but if you have over 1000 discs like me and care about extra material it can become a lot of work.

This is especially true if you are doing TV shows. The episodes are rarely in the menu order on the disc.....they can be in a different but standard order or random so you still can't just assume that title 1 is episode one and so forth.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I did Decrypt My DVDs with DVDShrink and it worked.

I just like Decrypting to VOB Files because when You put them on Say a Disc DVD Players and Blue Ray Players can Play the VOB Files.

Well I did Run MakeMKV on a DVD I had and after it was over I closed it.

And I went into My Output Folder I Selected and nothing is in here.

what is the Default MakeMKV Output Folder?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what is the Default MakeMKV Output Folder?
    C:\Users\username\.MakeMKV
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks to everybody for the help.

I was Thinking should I just Decrypt to MKV Files and not use other Programs that Decrypt to VOB Files?

I do Understand now that MKV Files are just like VOB Files.
    MakeMKV is just Decrypting the Files.

But I like to do this?

I have a USB Hard Drive and I like to keep My DVDs on it so like I Say I Decrypt them and have just the VOB File.
    And if I put that VOB Files on a USB Thumb Drive I can Play it on My TV or if I put My VOB Files on a DVD I can Play then in My DVD Player.

But if I Decrypt and have MKV Files can I do the same thing or are MKV Files not as Recognizable as VOB Files?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    I keep MKV files on my phone when I travel. I can watch the movie directly on my phone or cast it to a TV wherever I am. If you have MKV files and modern equipment you can play them just about anywhere these days. All newer Smart TVs have built in video players that support MKV directly or they would not be able to direct play content from emby in the first place.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a USB Hard Drive and I like to keep My DVDs on it so like I Say I Decrypt them and have just the VOB File.
    And if I put that VOB Files on a USB Thumb Drive I can Play it on My TV or if I put My VOB Files on a DVD I can Play then in My DVD Player.

But if I Decrypt and have MKV Files can I do the same thing or are MKV Files not as Recognizable as VOB Files?
    I haven't seen any DVD players that can play MKV files stored on a USB thumb drive or on a DVD.

Many smart TVs and Blu-ray players can play MKV files from a USB thumb drive if the video and audio contained in the MKV file are also supported.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thanks to everybody for the help.
    It all is working good for Me.

And I do Understand MPEG 2. File is the CODEC and the VOB File is the Container.

So I just can not Understand about this?

The Programs DVDDecrypter and DVDShrink and MakeMKV all just Decypt the DVDs.

When I did use DVDDecrypter and DVDShrink they would all leave Me with VOB Files.

But when I use MakeMKV it would leave Me with a MKV File.

And when I use MakeMKV and Select the Movie I want and Audio I want to be Decrypted I See it Says MPEG 2. is the Video File.

So it keeps the CODEC as MPEG 2. and just Decrypts it and just changes the Container from VOB to MKV.

But because it changes the Container from VOB to MKV I Thought it was a Type of Compression?

And now I know it is not a Compression but because it changes the Container from VOB to MKV what is it doing?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    I'm really not sure what you are asking here. If you are just asking what is the difference in the change in container it is pretty simple...compatibility. MKV files play in almost anything these days. VOB files are broken into segments, usually around a GB large and require special codecs to play. I do not know about the present but in the past you were required to have a license to play DVDs and it is my understanding although I may be incorrecdt, it isone of the reasons Microsoft moved away from supporting what is essentially a dying/dead product.

There is no compression taking place. MakeMKV simply decrypts and them takes the individual VOB files and makes one video file. You loose the menu features of the DVD but you can now use your video on just about any platform....click and play.

One of the biggest benefits of MakeMKV for me is it strips out region coding so I can buy impossible to find content only available in Europe and have it on my server in a week.
    Quote Quote  
  16. This does have to do with Video Formats.

I just Converted a DVD Move to MPEG 4. H264 at a Bit Rat of 1,500 kbps and it Plays good on My Projector.

Then I Converted a 30 Minute TV Show to MPEG 4. H264 at a Bit Rate of 1,500 kbps and it wont Play on My Projector.

The Movie came out to be 1.16 GB and the TV Show came out to be 275 MB so what do You Think is going on?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This does have to do with Video Formats.

I just Converted a DVD Move to MPEG 4. H264 at a Bit Rat of 1,500 kbps and it Plays good on My Projector.

Then I Converted a 30 Minute TV Show to MPEG 4. H264 at a Bit Rate of 1,500 kbps and it wont Play on My Projector.

The Movie came out to be 1.16 GB and the TV Show came out to be 275 MB so what do You Think is going on?
    Look at the files' properties in mediainfo, detail (text) view and look at the similarities/differences
    Last edited by davexnet; 26th Feb 2022 at 19:28. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This does have to do with Video Formats.

As I mentioned in your other topic: Your projector's manual should list the specifications an MKV must meet for the projector to be able to play the video. Make sure the videos don't exceed any of those specs, or re-encode the videos to match.

Or, as davexnet mentions, use MediaInfo to take a look at a video that does work, and re-encode the videos that don't play on your projector to match (every detail of) the videos that do play. Not just the codec or bitrate... everything.
    (Edit: Well, except for filesize. Unless the projector has a hard limit on file sizes, in which case you'll still need to consult the manual to see whether or not that's the case.)
    Last edited by Ai Haibara; 26th Feb 2022 at 03:30.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Everybody PLEASE stop wasting your time on time-wasters.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Thanks to everybody with helping Me Understand what the MKV File is.

I have use a Program Called Any Video Converter for a long Time now and it works good.

I would Say about a Week Ago I Loaded some of My Video Files into it to Convert to AVI Format.

It would do Say 6. of them and Shut Down and not do everything I Loaded into it.

So I Run it as ADMIN and it would just Shut Down and not do anything.

Si I Un Installed it and Re Installed it and no good.

I even went Online and got the New Version 1.7.5 and I Installed it and put back My Settings the way I like it.

After it Converts a File it Shuts Down on Me and Yes I have a Check in Open Output Folder After Converting.

So now it works but I want it to Open the Output Folder after it Converts a File like it did but it just Shuts Down.

Can anybody help is there a ways I can just Delete the Settings for this Program or something?

Thanks for the Time.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    based on your original post you need something like dvdfab to bypass protections, it can also convert to mp4 which I do not suggest, strip the main movie as the original

they will appear as vob files then you just mux them together, I use MKVToolNix

mkv container is the best, mp4 is just meh
    Quote Quote  
  22. Don't use MakeMKV.
    I used it to convert dozens of old DVDs to MKV and it damaged many of my MKVs. Validation threw tons of errors.
    Nobody from MakeMKV forum cold help me neither was interested in looking into root cause of these.
    Use MKVtoolnix ver 32 or later. It has queue function and tons of other options. MakeMKV can't even set custom output filename.
    To decrypt DVD, use AnyDVD or DVD Decrypter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have essentially same question as original poster, although with a different premise. There's a standard dvd video on a blu-ray disc, and the only way to rip it is with MakeMKV. The result is standard dvd within an MKV container. I could extract or demux audio, video, and possibly subtitles files with mkvtoolnix, rename the suffixes to their correct formats (ie audio mkv to .ac3, etc), then remux with a dvd muxer. But is there a simpler method? I tried renaming the MKV file as .mpg, and tried .iso, but they weren't recognized by dvd programs. The goal is to get standard VOB files.
    Quote Quote