VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just want to be successful, as I was with VCD with ffmpegx. I love having only one app to use after getting the vob.

I take the same vob file that I used to get a great VCD, with the help of people on the forum. (23.98 FILM) help alot, thanks.

I used a preset in ffmpegx to go VOB ---> mpeg2 SVCD NTSC.
    Audio defaulted to 44.1
    High Quality was checked on mpeg1/4 screen

I unchecked everything on mpeg2 window, Except Altivec was checked, meant to uncheck everything.

Nothing in post processing was checked, and nothing in Mpegtools was checked.

I ended up with a GREAT looking 480 x 480 (I beleive) file that has the VIDEO end about 3.5 or 4 minutes ahead of the AUDIO.

As with VCD, I asked a few questions, and was able to tweak, and get a final product that was perfect. Any suggestions on settings, etc.

Its muxed, so I dont think I can take it to mutator, and play with Video DURATION..

again , thanks for the help..

Getting some great use out of this G4/400, If I can get good at doing these menus, and movies, I will be able to incorporate this into imovie and make a great final product.., at least until someday, I buy a dvd burner..
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    3.5 to 4 mins of out of sync is a lot. First check the "3:2 Pulldown" option.
    Under the MPEG-2 options chose XSVCD because if you don't whatever bitrate you set will be ignored.

Then under the tools option tab under MPEG-1/2 post-processing. Chose only "Keep Elementary Streams" that way if the .mpg file that you get is still out of sync, which I think that it will be but better than 3.5 to 4 mins. You can remux the .M2V and .MP2 files with Missing Mpeg Tools.

If you wind up with an out of sync .mpg after checking the above options then use this guide to re-mux your elementary streams.

http://www.squeeds.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=4536094431&f=3926077731&m=6176041341

-Squeed
    VCD & SVCD Support For Mac
    http://www.squeeds.com
    Quote Quote  
  3. SUCCESS AGain. !!!

Settings the way you suggested, and left for a night out. Came back and there are three files. The muxed mpeg movie now 480 MB, and the two elementary files. that add up to 480, 440 and 40, (Video and Audio seperate). THE Audio and Video seem to be in perfect Sync. The picture is really , really sharp. ... So I guess with SVCD, the size of the file is a little larger??, I could get 3 258 MB movies on a CD with VCD. But this better quality, I guess I might have to cut it down to ONE PER CD. Not bad with the price of CD's so low. GREAT QUALITY, and REALLY appreciate the help. Never been able to solve things so rapidly..

Thanks, AGAIN...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Went to burn a CD of the GReat looking movie, and player, just goes thru the numbers on the front of the machine, very rapidly, without any video or audio. So maybe the incompatibility with certain DVD players and the XSVCD , specifically the "X"....

Should I just not choose XSVCD on that one screen to make it play in my player?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, you can do that and then it will be a straight SVCD but the problem you are going to have is that ffMpeg will ignore the video bitrate that you set. So the movie is going to be 2500 kbits/s. Which means that your movie is going to be huge compared to what it is now.

You may have to put it on 3 possibly 4 CDs.

You may be able to push the envelope with a regular VCD and make it 1500 kbits/s, it depends on what your DVD player can handle.

-Squeed
    VCD & SVCD Support For Mac
    http://www.squeeds.com
    Quote Quote  
  6. Microman, did you choose the XSVCD option with MPEG-1 video? This is less compatible than a standard SVCD. If you want to make a true XSVCD then make sure you choose the XSVCD option under the MPEG-2 tab, not in the presets.
    Quote Quote  
  7. All I would like to accomplish, is to make the best SVCD on the Mac, that I can. Hopefully just using the VOB I can get, and then using ffmpegx. All I would like to do, is see if I can improve on the VCD, that I have accomplished. In otherwords, find the settings for making an svcd, that will be in sync, etc. I tried the settings, above, except, changed the pulldown, to SVCD, not XSVCD, and that movie, is of equal size and quality, but did not burn to cd to see if it plays in DVD Player.

Would love to get the quality of SVCD, and compaibility with my DVD Player, as the VCD does.

Thanks.. Will tinker some more, and burn that last try when I get home from work, today, (Sunday)
    Quote Quote