VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can I install Machete on more than one machine? Is it portable?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ask the developer.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did. No response yet. I was hoping that someone who owns/uses it could tell me.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is not in any way legal advice, but based on decades of PC use and using hundreds of different software.

Legally you're bound by the Terms of Use you agree to when you install the software. Generally, it either specifies that you can install it on one computer only and must uninstall it before installation on another computer or you may install it more than one computer as long only one copy is in use at a time. If it's not specified in the TOU, always assume that it's the former.

Anything discussed beyond this may be in violation of Forum Rules about warez.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The fact that this is Trialware versus software that has a voluntary donation to unlock additional features (e.g. MakeMKV which negates the need to update the key every few months), puts it into a commercial software category with more stringent adherence guidelines, with violation of the TOU equaling piracy.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The answer would be in the EULA that you agree to when you install the software.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And it seems you have to be a registered user to get any response from the developer.

Also, are you asking one question or two ?

'Portable' does not mean transferring a licence from one machine to another.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your responses. I'm guessing, but not sure since I haven't done this with software before, that portable means something like having the program on a USB drive and plugging to in to the computer that I wish to use and executing it from the USB drive. Correct me if I am wrong.

If I can uninstall it from one machine and then install it on another without repurchasing, that would be OK. I'm concerned about installing it on a machine and then changing my mind about which one I really want to use it on, or if I get another computer at a later time. Sometimes I travel and might like to have it/use it on a portable computer. I would be the only one using this so there would never be two users at once.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you can install the software on a USB drive then, yes, it can be described as 'portable' and in that scenario the first part of your question is irrelevant.

Basically, portable software is one that allows you to chose the folder/drive where it is stored, writes any configuration files to that folder/drive only and does not write any entries to the registry.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are ways to make some software portable. You can learn about it here: https://portableapps.com/

Some software keys are generated based on your specific computer components (e.g. Windows) and/or your registered email address, with or without the need call home for the key.

Since the program is <$20, I not only think it's cheap enough, but fair and encouraging to the developers to buy two copies.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is the response from the company in case it is helpful to others.

"You can install your registered copy of Machete on up to three computers you personally own."

Best

Andrea
    MacheteSoft Support
    Quote Quote