VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    windows 7 home premium

I can't seem to figure this out. I thought it would be something easy to do.., stick a 64gb mem stick into the usb2 on the back of my Netgear 900 router and then open explorer and I would see a drive/folder. But that did not happen.

What other steps am I missing ?
    Last edited by vhelp; 6th Dec 2015 at 20:04.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You probably have to enable file sharing in the router's setup.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You are fast, and correct. Anyway. I guessed at it, that I had to open netgear genie (for my router, which then took me into IE browser window, and entered the Username and Password first) and then i kept clicking around until i came across a selection, ReadyShare. I selected that and could see a folder name, \\readyshare\usb_storage.

Then I did the following steps:

1. I copied that string into clipboard
    2. then i right-click on my desktop
    3. selected New
    4. selected Shortcut
    5. and pasted the clipboard into the field "Type the location of the item" and hit Next
    6. and entered a new name for the folder, in the "Type a name for this shortcut" and hit Finish.

Not sure if this is the best way to do this method, but it worked. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Of course, doing something like this has reprecussions. In doing this function, it knocked out my slingbox. I was watching tv on my tablet through the slingbox and now it won't work, saying, "can't connect to your slingbox because it is not connected to the internet".

So, I will try and reset the router by turning it off and then on, and see what happens.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    still no go. maybe i have to reset the wifi switch that it is connected to, or maybe power down the slingbox, too. will try both.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok, back in business. I unplugged the two powerline 500 wifi adaptors and the slingbox. After a few minutes, I could see tv on my tablet via the slingbox.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you set fixed addresses ie used their MAC addresses rather than rely on DHCP?
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I solved the answer. I have access to the flash drive via wifi through my laptops. And also fixed the issue with the slingbox. So all is good.

However, I was exploring the idea of reading the flash drive over the internet. It seems to work, but I can't figure out how to set the admin and password, so its asking me for my router password (admin/password) and then my network credentials for readyshare which is a password I just set. That password entry box defaults to Admin and is asking me for my password. I am guessing that "admin" is used from the routers default username. Anyway.

I'm not sure I have this router fully secured. hmm..

1. So, to access the readyshare folder for the usb flash drive, I have to first enter the default username: admin, and the Password: password
    2. Then, to complete the access to the usb flash drive, I have to enter my newly set password: xyx
    3. finished.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think I sorted out the admin and password login. I had to reboot the laptop.

Tomorrow, I will try accessing it from the internet while at work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    1. That's a pretty darn insecure password - would take all of a few seconds of brute force attempts to crack it.
    2. In order to see it on the internet you should be setting the DMZ.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1. That's a pretty darn insecure password - would take all of a few seconds of brute force attempts to crack it.
    2. In order to see it on the internet you should be setting the DMZ.
    The password is not xyz. I was just using that to fill space in the post above.

And, i don't know what DMZ is.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I have an old 500GB powered external attached to my Fritz! box (7490)....but it's not available from outside of the house(my choice). I stage my uploads (to MediaFire or Mega etc etc) on it. To get that to work I had to "Map A Network Drive".
    Quote Quote