VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi people I am based in the UK and have a Hauppauge Win Nova T USB Terrestrial DVB receiver. I can record programme streams direct to my hard drive.

I am used to the long-winded process of cutting, running through PVAstrumento and then merging/rewriting header in Tmpgenc.

My problem is some streams, particularly BBC ones are full screen 4:3 programs (when viewed through receiver on TV), but the captured streams are 16x9 "pillarboxed". Can anyone suggest a way of creating full screen video of these mpegs for DVD authoring without having to completely re-encode with Tmpgenc as my PC is old and slooooooow. Is there a way of rewriting headers to "trick" the authoring package to display as full screen?

BTW programs transmitted 4:3 full screen by UK Channel 4 seem to captured at full screen resolution.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Luap
    Quote Quote  
  2. No, there is no way of getting a fullscreen 4:3 image out of a pillarboxed 16:9 image without re-encoding. However a DVD player will stretch out the 16:9 anamorphic image on playback so you will still have the correct aspect ratio showing on your TV screen. ITV and CH4 use a different way of switching the 4:3 image and also use a slightly smaller frame of 704x576. DS.jar doesn't like this, so I have to use PVAstrumento to demux instead.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Energy80's

Thanks for that. Darn, why do BBC have to transmit like that.

Cheers for your help. Will try playing with my DVD players settings and scaling up. Can't understand why it displays OK when on TV straight from Freeview box.

Luap
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    because the freeview box manipulates the image for you, much as sky and cable boxes receive wide transimssions from the beeb and itv/C4 but usually crop to 4:3.

If you have a wide TV then it shouldn't be a problem, the wide stream with pillarbox 4:3 will display correctly. if you have a 4:3 tv then you'll get black bars on all 4 sides of your image

New pc wouldn't hurt though, you can buy the essentials for doing encoding for ~£200.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Please use our brand new and excellent Digital TV forum for questions like this next time.
    I move the topic there now.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Oops, sorry.

Any more digital tv questions are going here.

Luap
    Quote Quote