VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. I'm converting a bunch of old family VHS tapes to digital format. I'm saving them in WMV files (so I can edit in Moviemaker). What audio setting do I use when saving? So Many to choose from. The save screen defaults to Windows Media 9 for Color Pocket PCS (225 kbps). The Video defaults to Windows Media Video 9 and the Audio defaults to Windows Medial Audio 9.2 but there is no "format" and several to choose from.

Which would I use or is it a hit and miss situation? I'd hate to wait all the time to save the clip and find out the sound was bad. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Use uncompressed PCM, 48000 Hz, stereo, 16 bits.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you. I will try this. Maybe it will help in the lack of sync with the sound and audio as well. Wondering if I should save them to AVI instead of MPEG or WMV. Your opinion?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Save to AVI only if lossless AVI. If you don't intend to ever edit and/or improve the video, then MPEG might be okay. Just my opinion.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by myladydeb View Post
    Hi. I'm converting a bunch of old family VHS tapes to digital format. I'm saving them in WMV files

Originally Posted by myladydeb View Post
    (so I can edit in Moviemaker).
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I feel you, LMotlow. I had to double-check I hadn't fallen into a timewarp when I clicked on the OP.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why edit in Movie Maker? I find VirtualDub better. I am not sure, but maybe Windows Movie Maker can import AVI files, at least when compressed to the standard formats such as M-JPEG with PCM audio.
    Quote Quote