VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello to all the video experts,

For the last six months I have been recording videos from tv.

unfortunately, just in the last hour I discovered that my computer screen colors were not set by default.

The colors in all the hundreds of videos (musicvideos, series episodes, etc.) that I captured and collected are not true to the original, they just do no look good and colors re-adjustment is needed.

I wanted to ask how I can adjust colors (brightness, saturation and contrast mainly) at the encoding level.
    fortunately I have not yet coded most of the videos, for encoding I usually use ripbot, I guess it's impossible there but I would love for any reasonably simple solution.

As for what I have already coded, I guess it is lost and there will be a need for re-encoding that will cause quality loss, however if there is anything to do with those videos.

Thank you all.
    Quote Quote  
  2. On PC you can correct at playback, if all your encoded videos have the same issues.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The truth is that I sometimes want to see the videos on TV, and some may even share, so I prefer that everything be original in the original if possible. I also prefer not to start changing the settings on the TV every time I watch..
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Yonidan View Post
    I wanted to ask how I can adjust colors (brightness, saturation and contrast mainly) at the encoding level.
    Feed an AviSynth script into RipBot264 with the changes made by using the Tweak filter.

Tweak

Adjust hue, saturation, brightness, and contrast of a video clip.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks alot.

I perused the material and read about the tweak, I did not quite understand if my AviSynth version (2.6) is enough for that purpose?
    and secondly, I'm sorry for the impudence but it's pretty complicated for me. may I please see an example of syntax that I can enter into aviscript to change saturation brightness and contrast?

Can I please see an example of syntax that I can enter into aviscript to change saturation brightness and contrast?
    As for numbers/degrees, I already understood this from the material on the page you posted.

thank you all again.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Yonidan View Post
    I did not quite understand if my AviSynth version (2.6) is enough for that purpose?
    It is. It's what I use.

may I please see an example of syntax that I can enter into aviscript to change saturation brightness and contrast?
    I'll assume you're using a source filter that opens the video in VDub. Then...

Tweak(Sat=1.1, Bright=-5,Cont=0.9,Coring=False)

Increase saturation, lower brightness, lower contrast.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you manono.

Well.. If you noticed my previous post on another matter (thanks also to the same guy who helped me there) then I copied there the form I have ..
    I encode with Ripbot, inside it there is an option to access the avisynth window.

I tried to enter your example into it, I got an error message .. also the last time I tried to use 'Overlay', it did not work immediately but help me here.

I have attached a screenshot of the window, and also its contents in a notepad file. I would be very grateful if you could review and adjust if possible.

and I have no idea how you all acquired the impressive knowledge you have..

Thanks.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	synthss.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	55676  

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  8. For example:
    Code:
    #VideoSource

video=DirectShowSource("D:\vidz\videos\test3",audio=false).ConvertToYV12()

#Deinterlace

#Decimate

#Crop

#Resize

#Colors

video = video.Tweak(Sat=1.1, Bright=-5,Cont=0.9,Coring=False)

#Denoise

#Subtitles
    etc.
    Quote Quote  
  9. First, test your scripts in VDub. Create them yourself (or use the one RipBot264 creates). Test them in VDub before using them in RipBot264. Now, your script says:

video=DirectShowSource("D:\vidz\videos\test3",audio=false).ConvertToYV12()

Your video is named test3? test3 what? test3.avi, test3.mp4, test3.mkv? You must use the extension.

I never use DirectShowSource as a source filter.

"Well.. If you noticed my previous post on another matter..." I either haven't seen it or don't remember it.

Those Tweak settings were just examples. I have no idea what might be appropriate for your video.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I really have no idea where the file extension went .. embarrassing. It's usually there. that was .mp4 in this case.

The truth is I have not touched virtualdub for years, and I'm not sure I remember how to access avisynth from there.. as you see I am an amateur and use as much GUI as possible, and as few codes/scrips as possible.

I've just tried jagabo's code and it works great.
    this tweak works amazing, I will already be looking for the right levels, it seems I have an excess in all three, especially in saturation and contrast.

Thanks again to both of you, and I must ask you a question of principle if possible.

Where the hell did you acquire this knowledge? I admire it over and over again.
    Is it all self-study? or do you have an academic degree?

Thanks alot.
    Quote Quote  
  11. All self study. My background is in software engineering (also most self study) so AviSynth wasn't too difficult to learn.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I learned by reading everything on the AviSynth site (it was a lot smaller 20 years ago), by using it, by teaching myself new tricks, and especially by learning from my betters, one of whom left his post just above this one.

Originally Posted by Yonidan View Post
    The truth is I have not touched virtualdub for years, and I'm not sure I remember how to access avisynth from there
    I couldn't live without it. Once you create your own AviSynth script (an .avs), or grab one MeGUI or RipBot264 creates, open it in VDub using File->Open video file.
    Last edited by manono; 29th Oct 2020 at 23:35.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well done. very appreciated.

Despite jagabo's self-learning I guess the professional background helps a lot, such knowledge at an engineering level or close to it may allow you to build encoding software yourself..

and thanks again manono. sometimes I use megui, I'll try it. Now you reminded me .

thank u all and have a good weekend.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I didn't even know RipBot264 created scripts, as I always make my own and open them in RipBot264. Yes, MeGUI makes good scripts and studying them is a good way to learn the ins and outs of scripting. Also, AVSPMod is about as close to a GUI that AviSynth has. I don't use it myself, but a lot of people swear by it.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is possible to access the script window in Ripbot (Avisynth). Indeed, I agree that Megui is much more professional and functional.

video encoding, it turns out, is a whole science..
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    May I ask how you are actually capturing these videos from TV, If your recording the TV stream your PC monitor plays no part in the colours given. ...... Or are you just pointing a camera at the screen?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Apologies for the late response.

Recording with a capture card (PCI-E Card, inside the pc) , then encoding .. This is a hobby for me.
    Quote Quote