VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. The audio on The VHS Tape i want to Capture Keep going quiet then Back to Normal and i was wondering if there is a way fix that and get back to Normal
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. I could be wrong, but to me your sample sounds very much like the typical problem of poor HiFi tracking.

Assuming I'm correct, that this is a tape with HiFi audio and you are playing it on a VHS HiFi VCR, you seem to have an issue where the automatic tracking setting for the video is a little off for the HiFi audio, so the audio is constantly switching from the good quality HiFi soundtrack to the backup non-HiFi track (which often has lower volume level, and isn't stereo or high quality like HiFi). Some VCRs have a "HiFi" indicator light on the front panel or their onscreen display that tells you when the tape has a HiFi track: this should be steady. If it flickers on and off, you have a tracking issue with that tape.

You need to override the automatic tracking to make a manual setting. With most VCRs you do this by pressing the Channel Up and Down buttons on the front panel (not the remote). Press and hold each button in turn while listening carefully to the audio and checking the picture closely. There is usually a compromise setting where the picture looks good (no static or jitter) and the HiFi audio is fairly stable: let go of the button at that point. Note the manual setting you made will be cleared, and the VCR will return to automatic tracking, when you eject the tape.

Sometimes a VCR just isn't compatible with the HiFi on a particular tape: this is a common problem today as tapes and VCRs age. If you can't even get the manual tracking to lock solidly on the HiFi (it keeps dropping out), then you'll need to switch the VCR out of automatic soundtrack mode and manually select the non-HiFi audio track (referred to in most VCR menus and remote buttons as NORM, NORMAL, LINEAR, or MONO). Usually there is an audio button on the remote: with each press it cycles thru HiFi Stereo, HiFi Left Only, HiFi Right Only, and then the non-HiFi soundtrack.

It is normal for the non-HiFi audio track to sound dull compared to the HiFi system: it has a more restricted frequency range (esp on slow speed EP/SLP tapes) and tends to pick up hum and noise. But if you're having trouble with the HiFi cutting in and out, locking the playback to non-HiFi-only will at least give you steady, uninterrupted audio for that tape.
    Last edited by orsetto; 30th Oct 2020 at 18:23.
    Quote Quote  
  3. i tried the tracking on all my vcr and it still plays the same on all of them
    Quote Quote  
  4. i tried the tracking on all my vcr and it still plays the same on all of them
    What about the other things I mentioned?

What kind of VCRs? Do all the VCRs have the HiFi feature ("VHS HiFi" written on the front panel somewhere)?

If the VCR is HiFi, did you try forcing it to play the not-HiFi "normal" audio track instead of letting it automatically try (and keep failing) to play the HiFi tracks? That usually cures this specific problem. HiFi audio is mixed in with the video, and is extremely sensitive to tracking (even more than the video is). The non-HiFi audio is recorded on the edge of the tape in a more steady technique, the quality isn't as clear but its usually more stable and doesn't drop in and out.

If all your VCRs are non-HiFi, or the problem remains even if you switch a HiFi VCR to play the not-HiFi backup audio, then you've got a really bad audio recording in this tape and not much you can do about it. Steady problems you can fix after capture with software tweaks, but intermittent unstable audio is impossible (unless someone has invented a computer program that can level out audio glitches every half second). It is rare that a tape gets that messed up (both a bad HiFi track and a damaged non-HiFi track), but this sounds like it might be a children's TV show and kids can be really rough on tapes.
    Quote Quote  
  5. i Have a Magnavox ZV427MG9 & DV220MW9V Samsung SV-5000W i did force to play normal Instead HI-FI on all the of VCR and i didn't seem to help I uploaded the audio of the entire episode Cause i seem like the audio is Fine for a little bit then switches from the Normal Audio to quiet Audio i just wondering if there was w way to fix it Thank You For Your Help
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by battybarney View Post
    i Have a Magnavox ZV427MG9 & DV220MW9V Samsung SV-5000W i did force to play normal Instead HI-FI on all the of VCR and i didn't seem to help I uploaded the audio of the entire episode Cause i seem like the audio is Fine for a little bit then switches from the Normal Audio to quiet Audio i just wondering if there was w way to fix it Thank You For Your Help
    Nothing you can do with that. Sounds like it was recorded from a radio playing a marginal station which was fading in and out
    Quote Quote  
  7. it was Recorded From TV
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it was Recorded From TV
    What is your recording device? Why are you capturing to low bitrate mp3 instead of uncompressed PCM (Wav)
    Quote Quote  
  9. im Using a VCR/DVD Recorder Combo to a DVD-RW and Then i just ripped The audio as a MP3 with Magic DVD Ripper But i Just attached a uncompressed PCM (Wav) File i Made with DVD Audio Extractor
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. You need to answer Orsetto's questions. I think he is on the right track with both of his posts. In particular, you need to go to the menus on your VCR and make 100% certain you know which audio tracks you are capturing. As Orsettos says, most VCRs let you capture the Hi-Fi track; the linear track; and sometimes a mix of both. Whichever track you are capturing (Hi-Fi or linear) try switching to the other one. If you get the same fade in/out, then the problem was almost certainly in the original source material, and there is nothing you can do to improve the capture.

On the other hand, if the other tack has no volume issues, then you do indeed need to look at alignment. The nature of the alignment needed will depend on whether you find out that the problem is on the Hi-Fi, or whether it is on the linear audio tracks.
    Quote Quote  
  11. i did try changing Tracks from Hi-Fi To Mono and the didn't Seem To Help and any other Tape i play is fine How do i look at The alignment
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i did try changing Tracks from Hi-Fi To Mono and the didn't Seem To Help and any other Tape i play is fine How do i look at The alignment
    Beyond opening the unit and watching that the tape moves smoothly through the rotating head, guides, rollers, stationary heads, etc,etc.
    And also checking that the tape doesn't have lower edge damage. There's nothing further you can do unless you are a VCR repair tech.

Have you tried playing this tape on a second VCR and have you tried playing it with VCR attached directly to the TV. Is it the same bad sound?
    Probably the tape is bad.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    And also checking that the tape doesn't have lower edge damage.
    This is what I thought. The symptoms are of improperly stored tapes.
    Quote Quote  
  14. it only seem to be a problem on that portion of the tape and it 35 Minutes into the tape i opened up a vcr and it looked like it was moving smoothly i posted a file of The Video and Audio to see if that would help Any i only uploaded 10 Mins so it fit in the file limit
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  15. Since you've confirmed the problem persists across three different VCRs, is not significantly relieved by switching from HiFi to normal soundtrack, and all your other tapes play properly, the issue is in this specific tape and not your VCRs. Having just played your longer sample, my opinion is even stronger that this tape suffers from the worst-case combination of tracking-resistant HiFi with edge damage to the backup normal audio. That means the HiFi drops in and out constantly, while the backup normal audio that could substitute for HiFi is also unusually defective (physically or electrically damaged). This leaves you with few practical options: the audio on this tape probably cannot be perfectly salvaged.

What is the recording speed of this tape? SP (2 hour) or EP (6 hour)? The normal audio track seems to be damaged, but theres a small chance you might be able to get a more steady lock on the clean HiFi audio by playing the tape in a more-compatible VCR. None of your three current VCR models is particularly good at HiFi tracking or EP (6 hour) tracking: they're OK for video store rental tapes or tapes they recorded themselves, but no good for older "problem" tapes. Using a better-grade VCR model known for wide tracking compatibility (and EP tracking if the tape is EP) might get you closer to a good capture. VCRs known for better-than-average tape tracking compatibility are Mitsubishi HS-U448 and 449, Panasonic AG2560 and Panasonic AG1970.

Of course this is an additional expense: you could resell the extra VCR if it doesn't help, but you'd lose some money on the deal. Perhaps it would be better to seek out another copy of this video as a commercial release on VHS or DVD? Second hand on eBay or Amazon? Its also available to stream freely on youTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqLIi4GZuoQ
    Last edited by orsetto; 31st Oct 2020 at 20:36.
    Quote Quote  
  16. The Tape Speed is SP i was wondering if the picture i sent the right Mitsubishi VCR
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mitsubishi Picture.PNG
Views:	71
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	55697  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mitsubishi Picture 2.PNG
Views:	471
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	55698  

Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    Since you've confirmed the problem persists across three different VCRs, is not significantly relieved by switching from HiFi to normal soundtrack, and all your other tapes play properly, the issue is in this specific tape and not your VCRs.
    I totally agree. The OP has a bad tape, and there is nothing that person can do about it, other than to try to adjust the volume in an editing program.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by battybarney View Post
    i was wondering if the picture i sent the right Mitsubishi VCR
    Yes, thats the one I own and have recommended to others here for problems similar to yours.

But I'm not sure it would be worth buying just to transfer this one tape, since the episode is available from other sources at far less cost than a VCR? Remember, if the tape is really far off spec, its possible no VCR will be able to lock steadily on the HiFi.
    Quote Quote  
  19. i going to buy the VCR and try that cause it really did cost much Really and i might be able to use it with more Tapes in the Future Thank You
    Quote Quote  
  20. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    It certainly is a tape problem, The tape has only a linear track and the crappy VCR that recorded it had a dirty audio head, the problem is baked in, Buying another VCR is not going to help, Actually what you should be buying is an original tape of Barney or a DVD copy for that matters and be done with your problem. I see them in thrift stores all the freaking time, it was a popular show.
    I don't get that left side barcode though, I have it on some tapes from the same publisher.
    Quote Quote  
  21. The Reason why i wanted to fix the Audio is Because This episode wasn't Released on VHS or DVD this Tape is a Used Blank Tape i bought off ebay With episodes of Barney & Friends Cause Basically That the only way The to get Episodes From The 90's The Left Side Barcode was used with a toy from Microsoft Called Actimates It interacted With VHS you Bought from the Store and Airing of Barney & Friends on PBS
    Last edited by battybarney; 1st Nov 2020 at 00:18.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by battybarney View Post
    The Reason why i wanted to fix the Audio is Because This episode wasn't Released on VHS or DVD this Tape is a Used Blank Tape i bought off ebay With episodes of Barney & Friends Cause Basically That the only way The to get Episodes From The 90's
    OK, this is critical info you did not mention earlier which could void all the replies we gave you.

If it was an original tape (off air or commercial), chances are good using a better VCR would help you get a steady lock on the HiFi track and solve the audio dropouts.

However, you've now identified the tape as a dub (VHS to VHS). Combined with the fact your audio problem starts part way into the tape and lasts for a specific period of time, I'm much more inclined to delisam34's opinion: the problem is baked into the dub and no VCR will be able to fix it.

Why? Because from the sound pattern in your sample, whoever made the dub had a HiFi tracking problem with their playback VCR, but didn't notice when they made the dub. Therefore this tape is a faithful copy of the audio errors from that first VCR: the poor sound became the only possible audio on this dub tape. In other words, this tape is physically fine (no damage or tracking issues), but the audio recording on the tape is intrinsically bad. This is not correctable: so don't buy another VCR unless you feel it would help overall with some other difficult tapes.

Perhaps you could stream the audio from the youTube post while capturing the video from your tape, but the sound would likely not sync up perfectly. Better than nothing.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Also give the audio and video heads a good cleaning if you never have.
    Quote Quote